Is the ZM P-51D pretty good or should I stick to the Revell Germany P-51D

oyoy5

9 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I’m amazed Tamiya USA hasn’t sold out of that kit yet.  I think it’s been on sale for that price for at least a year.

I can only guess that everyone that wants a contemporary p-51D kit has one, you have three distinct flavors, Revell(Cheap), ZM superdtailed(more expensive), Tamiya (super detailed similar price to ZM).  The Tamiya kits are not a kit you could sell to the Hobby Lobby community, neither is the ZM kit.  The Tamiya kit is not an easy build either, it fits beautifully, and has beutiful detail, but I have built three and I would not say it is easy.  When you try to assemble the fsulilage, engine, cockpit, and radiator duct, it is challenging to pull all of that together and get it all right.  I have had minor issues every time, all being a result of errors I made.  this time I had a key piece of photo etch go flying away which meant I had to glue in place one of the movable vents on the fusilage bottom.  

Really to get a great result from the Tamiya kit is a challenge for any modeler and really in my opinion is not beginner territory.  The Corsair is an easier build in most regards in 1/32.  The spitfire is simpler in some regards.   The only Tamiya airplane kit more complicated than the Mustang is the Mosquito as it has more assemblies and is the only prop 1/32 Tamiya kit I have not attempted.  I owned one but sold it.

17 minutes ago, cbk57 said:

...[snip]...

Really to get a great result from the Tamiya kit is a challenge for any modeler and really in my opinion is not beginner territory.  The Corsair is an easier build in most regards in 1/32.  The spitfire is simpler in some regards.   The only Tamiya airplane kit more complicated than the Mustang is the Mosquito as it has more assemblies and is the only prop 1/32 Tamiya kit I have not attempted.  I owned one but sold it.

That is the reason I bought the Revell. Aerocraft make a replacement clear canopy —

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/p-51-mustang-canopy-set

— and that & an Eduard LööK cockpit set is sufficient for me. 

And what you said is also the reason my Tamiya Mossie FB.VI remains untouched for over six years. I don't think I've opened the box again since then and am hankering after a Hong Kong Models Mossie. I wish Revell would revisit the subject with a new tool. 

Tony

5 hours ago, cbk57 said:

Really to get a great result from the Tamiya kit is a challenge for any modeler and really in my opinion is not beginner territory.

The advantage of the Revell kit is that the completed model shows off your own level of modelling. Build two Revell kits a few years apart and you’ll get two different models because your skills has improved (or else :wacko:).

Build two Tamiya Mustangs years apart, what you’ll get at best is …two Tamiya Mustangs. :P

When a kit is done you put it on a shelf, sometimes in a display case and your eyes

never get closer to it than maybe 10". Unseen detail is fine for those who enjoy

putting lottsa parts together. My Revell kit looks fine from 10" and I've never looked

inside the cockpit since I finished it. It can only be seen in my WIP.

I turned out OK for a 10"er.

3a0qT6x.jpg

VvqozHU.jpg

I put a Tamiya tail on it cuz I needed a fillet tail.

I sold my Tamiya kits and like the Revell kit. My reasoning:

I was going to add a Zoom instrument panel, Barracuda stencils and details so the inherent additional detail in the Tamiya kit was going to be wasted in any case

The surface detail is so fine that it is difficult to reinstate once seams removed. I prefer consistency over super abundance of detail in some areas

The superfine surface detail is at the level where manufacturing surface variation and deformation around rivets etc would be evident so I find it looks unnatural. Plus you cannot see it unless you are super close!

Edited by scimitarf1

Mike, you hit the nail on the head with this statement.  “My Revell kit looks fine from 10" and I've never looked inside the cockpit since I finished it.”

I often wonder why I put so much detail and time into a cockpit, and now getting hooked on the new 3D printed instrument panels and the money I’m spending on them.  But as someone else said, it’s about the adventure and not the destination. 

3 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Mike, you hit the nail on the head with this statement.  “My Revell kit looks fine from 10" and I've never looked inside the cockpit since I finished it.”

I often wonder why I put so much detail and time into a cockpit, and now getting hooked on the new 3D printed instrument panels and the money I’m spending on them.  But as someone else said, it’s about the adventure and not the destination. 

This for me.   I spend forever building, i am not and may never be to the point where i am thinking about looking at it after its built. I need the diversion of the build, for me, the longer it lasts, the more use i get out of it.  

8 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

When a kit is done you put it on a shelf, sometimes in a display case and your eyes

never get closer to it than maybe 10". Unseen detail is fine for those who enjoy

putting lottsa parts together. My Revell kit looks fine from 10" and I've never looked

inside the cockpit since I finished it. It can only be seen in my WIP.

I turned out OK for a 10"er.

3a0qT6x.jpg

VvqozHU.jpg

I put a Tamiya tail on it cuz I needed a fillet tail.

Thats a sweet looking Mustang, Mike.  

Getting back to the original question ,id go the ZM direction......the Revell kit is nice for the price but if you have built any ZM or Tamiya kits you may feel that the Revell kits missing heaps.As for the Tamiya vs the ZM there both great...tamiyas got all the wing panels ZM hasn't, as they were flush. Both companies try very hard to get it right certainly not like Trumpeter who couldn't care less(eg-B24).Revell stuffed up there HE 219, and ZM got it right, they even went back and re-did the canopy till they were happy...costing god knows how much re-doing there tooling.