Is the ZM P-51D pretty good or should I stick to the Revell Germany P-51D

oyoy5

Zm would be king if Tamiya didnt spoil the party.

That being said I like to build more then i like to paint ect so the ZM kits really attract me more then ultimate accuracy.

FYI Buildability for does not equals to fighting  poor fit ect but more in spending time building assemblies, dont really care if they are visible.

For example i really enjoyed building my 1/32 avenger cockpit and interior that 90% cannot be seen anymore 

I recently got 2 zm kits and i cannot wait to BUILD them

For me, shape accuracy is number one, surface detail number 2, interior detail 3. Why? because, #1 I can't change that without scratchbuilding. #2 I CAN change that, although I think I should not have to if the manufacturer did a competant job. Many don't. #3 Due to the limitations of injection molding, I expect to scratch build or add after market anyway. Not a big deal. 

Overall shape accuracy is the most important as the model HAS to look like the original, otherwise it's just a cheap toy. The more detail one adds, the more shape and detail accuracy comes into play. It is a devil's spiral. A quest for ever more fine parts, more scale effect finishes, finer details. I guess it's called AMS, Advanced Modeller Syndrome. We all suffer from it. 

2 hours ago, europapete said:

Overall shape accuracy is the most important as the model HAS to look like the original, otherwise it's just a cheap toy. The more detail one adds, the more shape and detail accuracy comes into play. It is a devil's spiral. A quest for ever more fine parts, more scale effect finishes, finer details. I guess it's called AMS, Advanced Modeller Syndrome. We all suffer from it. 

While overall shape accuracy is a priority, some people think that adding details will improve accuracy. That’s what AMS and their proponents want us to believe. 
What’s the point adding a myriad of microscopic photo-etched details and 3D prints in a cockpit which is too shallow?
Do we all need to see the trees for the forest?

1 hour ago, quang said:

While overall shape accuracy is a priority, some people think that adding details will improve accuracy. That’s what AMS and their proponents want us to believe. 
What’s the point adding a myriad of microscopic photo-etched details and 3D prints in a cockpit which is too shallow?

Wise words indeed :bow:

10 hours ago, D Bellis said:

The tail wheel in both of my Revell 1st issue kits is 9.3mm. ZM and Tamiya are both 9.7mm. 

I measured the Revell Mustang tail wheel again and I got precisely 9.73 mm with my digital calipers. The ZM and Revel wheels are the same diameter. Anyone with the kits can measure this, this is not "opinion" or "arguing". 

Radu

3 hours ago, quang said:

Some people enjoy that, live and let live.

Well, i clicked on a thread asking about ZM vs Revell P 51s, neither of which was a particular danger to my wallet, then i learned what i suspected, that Tamiya in this particular flavor is amazing, as i have been hearing, then that i could have one for $106 delivered.  How is a guy supposed to avoid threads like this?

i got one.   

10 minutes ago, Citadelgrad said:

Well, i clicked on a thread asking about ZM vs Revell P 51s, neither of which was a particular danger to my wallet, then i learned what i suspected, that Tamiya in this particular flavor is amazing, as i have been hearing, then that i could have one for $106 delivered.  How is a guy supposed to avoid threads like this?

i got one.   

Hahahahahha--- Their evil plan is working!  Tamiya secretly started this thread just for that reason. :wicked::lol: