Is the ZM P-51D pretty good or should I stick to the Revell Germany P-51D

oyoy5

4 hours ago, D Bellis said:

Having built 2 Zoukei Mura and 1 Revell P-51D kits, there is no comparison in my opinion.  Basically, they represent the difference between a McDonald's cheeseburger (Revell) versus a gourmet meal (Zoukei Mura). 

Put your completed ZM and Revell kits side by side.

Compare the lip of the bottom of the ventral radiator and tell us which kit is closer to the real thing.

DF5344-B5-247-E-4593-BFDD-5-EDA28084-E71

76749-E9-D-1596-4001-8-B65-E10-DC0-A687-

BBC4-CB4-B-CFF9-4-EC8-8-A71-0-A82-E90-BB

Sometimes McDo tastes more like an authentic hamburger (at least to us Europeans :P ) than a gourmet meal. 

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quang

9 hours ago, quang said:

Put your completed ZM and Revell kits side by side.

Compare your Revell P-51D to the real thing and look at the Revell kit's cockeyed prop and tiny tailwheel (both issues being far more visible than ZM's radiator scoop). Then examine the milky, distorted canopy and overall poor molding quality of the entire kit. 

The ZM P-51D is not without its flaws, which is why the nearly flawless Tamiya P-51D gets the highest marks overall. The ZM kit is still head and shoulders above the cheap Revell kit. 

9 hours ago, quang said:

Sometimes McDo tastes more like an authentic hamburger (at least to us Europeans) than a gourmet meal.

A starving person might think a McDonald's cheeseburger is a gourmet meal, but a person that's even casually familiar with other cheeseburgers would not make that same mistake. ;)

D

1 hour ago, D Bellis said:

Compare your Revell P-51D to the real thing and look at the Revell kit's cockeyed prop and tiny tailwheel (both issues being far more visible than ZM's radiator scoop). Then examine the milky, distorted canopy and overall poor molding quality of the entire kit. 

I corrected the distorted windshield on my Revell kit. Cockeyed prop? Never noticed it. Poor moulding quality? Not on my sample.

On the other hand, the round bottom on the ZM radiator is a disgrace to the designers of the Mustang and stands out like a sore nose on a face.

I didn’t have to build the ZM to notice it. I saw it right away on the ZM press releases.:P

23 minutes ago, Radub said:

For all it's worth, I just measured the ZM tailwheel and the Revell tailwheel and I get the same diameter, respectively 9.7 mm.

Radu

According to the P-51D/K Illustrated Parts Book, the tail tire is 12.5" x 4.5" so in 1/32 that equates to 0.391 inches or 9.92 mm.  I'd say 9.7 is damn close to being dead nuts on.  Color that "fatal flaw" debunked courtesy of Radu.

Edited by Juggernut

Mustang experten, can the Tamiya P51 D/K that is on sale be accurately build as a Euro theater bird? Is the only difference on a K the prop, and is the D prop included in that boxing? 

I have a vinyl cutter so kit markings no longer limit my options. 

5 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

Mustang experten, can the Tamiya P51 D/K that is on sale be accurately build as a Euro theater bird? Is the only difference on a K the prop, and is the D prop included in that boxing? 

I have a vinyl cutter so kit markings no longer limit my options. 

1. Yes, the P-51D/K kit can be built into a "mid-to-later block" ETO aircraft - "mid-to-later block" meaning the D/K kit does not come with the tail without the fin fillet (a P-51D-5 cannot be built without the fillet-less tail - all others have the fillet - caveat:  There are two types of fin filet, but that's not germane to your questions).

2. No, there are a few other minor differences between the P-51D and the P-51K (namely the Dallas hood [aka canopy]) but the prop is the main indicator and yes, both are included in the P-51D/K kit as is the Dallas hood (as well as the two other canopy options).

CORRECTION:  I somewhat misspoke  when I said that a P-51D-5 cannot be built without the filletless tail...  There were kits shipped to and installed in the field so it is possible to build a P-51D-5 with a fin fillet but that fin fillet will be of the early style; again, another topic. You will need to check the serial number or the data placard on the aircraft to find if the aircraft is a P-51D-5 and also have a corresponding shot of the tail to see if it has been modified or not.

Edited by Juggernut

Hi All

I have built the Tamiya kit three times.  I personally would not build the ZM kit because the Tamiya kit is complicated enough and has nothing really extra in it that is a waste of time.  On the contrary the ZM kit has a lot of complexity and parts that will never be visible, unless you have a specific use for that extra detail for me it just adds unneeded headaches.  

I have had the original issue which covers the early models into the late models but does not cover the K and I have the D/K now.  I would not each version comes with multiple canopies, I know there are drawings but I just grab one and use it.  It is nearly impossible to find a side profile of any given subject for someone to prove you used the wrong canopy.  As such I just use whatever in that regard.  Otherwise there are a ton of cockpit options in both versions of the kit, however in the d/k you only get one seat option and one tail option.  

As to the Revell kit, that is a valid option if you want a quick build with no engine.  

I love ZM but since there is a Tamiya option that for me is the better way to go in this case and you have a lot of important build options.  What we are missing is some of the subtle fillet variations that applies to the planes between the final fillet version and the no fillet version on the tail.  

1 hour ago, Juggernut said:

1. Yes, the P-51D/K kit can be built into a "mid-to-later block" ETO aircraft - "mid-to-later block" meaning the D/K kit does not come with the tail without the fin fillet (a P-51D-5 cannot be built without the fillet-less tail - all others have the fillet - caveat:  There are two types of fin filet, but that's not germane to your questions).

2. No, there are a few other minor differences between the P-51D and the P-51K (namely the Dallas hood [aka canopy]) but the prop is the main indicator and yes, both are included in the P-51D/K kit as is the Dallas hood (as well as the two other canopy options).

Yep, concur.  Not only that, but when I built my D/K kit as an Iwo Jima-based VLR Pony, I saved the F-6D parts to use on my "vanilla" D to make an F-6D, unless I also used the K bits and make an F-6K.

3 hours ago, Radub said:

For all it's worth, I just measured the ZM tailwheel and the Revell tailwheel and I get the same diameter, respectively 9.7 mm.

Radu

The tail wheel in both of my Revell 1st issue kits is 9.3mm. ZM and Tamiya are both 9.7mm. 

3 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Color that "fatal flaw" debunked courtesy of Radu.

Not so much. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, quang said:

Cockeyed prop? Never noticed it.

The Revell kits' blades sweep forward outboard of the cuffs. 

D