MQ-8B Fire Scout - Brengun, 1/32

Starfighter

Thank you! Fred definitely made a great discovery . The only problem is to get enough of it. Nobody can eat so many onions to get enough of that netting...

The other frames are ready, so I fitted them temporarily to the hull to check the overall look. In the end, the frames will be held in porition by a thin wire; I am currently waiting for the turnbuckles and clevises to fit them. I hope painting will start within this week. BSMC at Putte is approaching very fast... 

img_7151bzfwo.jpeg

img_7153wbioj.jpeg

img_7155alf8o.jpeg

img_7156asem4.jpg

Thanks geedubelyer and Maru! 

Geedubelyer, you are right about the nets. I have tried to make the sag more using a hair dryer but to no effect. They get back into their initial shape once the cool down. I guess I'll have to live with that. 

The fun part has started. After priming the base with Mr Surfacer 1500 black (and breaking the nets I had to fix countless times)...

img_71895me8s.jpeg

... I started painting the deck. 

img_7203z7c53.jpeg

Deck markings add life and interest. 

img_7204qffx9.jpeg

img_7205o1cut.jpeg

I have also started to figure out what will be going on on the base (see what I did there?).

The guy looking at the rotor already had some hand surgery done.

img_7206m0csy.jpeg

I am not super happy with the guy looking on as he does not look in the right direction (he should look up a bit) - but that will be pretty hard to modify. Not sure what I am going to do about that. 

img_7207mwf8x.jpeg##

The guy kneeling will check the plug of something I drew up yesterday - a Tesla GPU. I will have to slightly modify his hands as well. 

img_7193buert.jpeg

img_7194m7ekf.png

That thing should add a touch of colour and a bit of interest. Looking forward to seeing the printed parts. The handles will be made of wire. 

screenshot2022-11-171u2cut.png

screenshot2022-11-171odcbq.png

A good friend of mine is currently printing it on his Sonic Mini 8K along with some other goodies like die towns and Pitot tubes. 

Thanks Zac and special thanks to Maru for your great ideas! 

I have continued painting and weathering the hull and deck. As usual, the masks for the hull numbers were cut on my Silhouette Portrait. 

img_72193xf4o.jpeg

img_7220l7e8y.jpeg

img_7221axezc.jpeg

img_7223ukd0k.jpeg

img_72248ce3x.jpeg

img_7222i3ix2.jpeg

During the drying time, I have started painting the figurines using acrylic paints from Andrea and Vallejo. 

img_7229o6e21.jpeg

img_7230initl.jpeg

img_723184dct.jpeg

img_7232wvfji.jpeg

img_7233zdix3.jpeg

My mate Christoph was kind enough to print some goodies for me on his Sonic Mini 8K to replace some PE parts provided by Brengun, namely the pitot tubes and the tie downs. They are incredibly fine and a huge improvement compared with the photo etched parts - but see for yourself.

img_7429zcfgg.jpeg

img_7431uecy9.jpeg

66dafd69-e37d-4eb8-96fofwv.jpg

img_7432k1etw.jpg

img_7430smdxk.jpg

PE parts for comparison. I scanned the fret and inserted into Fusion 360 to ensure dimensions and shape of the new printed parts are exactly identical to the PE parts.

scan_atzteile_mq-8b_0pbf69.jpg

I have also added metal rods to the skids to connect the drone with the flight deck. As I am going to add a full set of tie down chains, it won't be possible to remove the model from the base anyway, so a rigid connection is very important.

I know it's not super spectacular, but the end is near! I wanted to add a touch of colour, so I decided to draw and print (or have printed to be precise) a Tesla GPU for the diorama. A short research spat out good photos and dimensions of the real thing. A bit more than an hour of work in Fusion 360 and we were ready to go. 

img_7443q8fyf.jpeg

HSM-35-Magicians-026.jpg

HSM-35-Magicians-025.jpg

screenshot2022-12-0504ccg4.jpg

screenshot2022-12-050mleo6.jpg

img_7454ncf7g.jpeg

img_74559fif5.jpeg

img_745619f65.jpeg

Cheers Steve! I'm not getting a huge amount of sleep at the moment, but I absolutely want to get it done before Sunday. 

Yesterday, the chain gang was busy.

img_7482rof0j.jpeg

img_7483m0fh3.jpeg

The Tie downs and hooks are from REMJ, the chains are from Reedoak. 

I also hooked up the GPU and connected a laptop computer - the latter won't be seen as it would be located outside the area my diorama depicts. 

img_7484a6dno.jpeg

img_7485jxd82.jpeg

Figurines in situ. 

img_7486oeeij.jpeg

img_7487n0cw8.jpeg