MQ-8B Fire Scout - Brengun, 1/32

Starfighter

10 minutes ago, red Dog said:

A great contest/expo in Belgium where usually we all meet ... and compete :)

Which and where?

Last time I've attended an expo in Belgium was when it still was in the Army museum at Bruxelles. But Belgium not has been forever written off from my table.

Regards

- duitk

3 hours ago, dutik said:

Looks a bit heavy. If the real thing has a less "pushed in" look I'd suggest thinner styrene strips (i. e. less hight) underneath.

Nevertheless outstanding modelling work! :speak_cool:

Regards

- dutik

I don't think the height is the issue, but the width of the strips. The stressed skin looks very prominent on LCS-3 IMO.

img_652470f5l.jpg

img_6525lnc41.jpg

More canning. I am quite happy with the overall effect, but I will use thin plastic sheet over a skeleton next time. Fiddling around with superglue in such large areas is super annoying and causes unwanted bulges when thicker spots of it dry below the foil. This requires filling and sanding... I hope it won't look too bad under a coat of primer. The welding lines were made of round 0,5mm diameter styrene profiles and stretched sprue.  

img_6780bmcnw.jpg

img_67816iek6.jpg

The LCS are serious undermanned by design, causing anticorrosion and repainting falling short in service. Just look for that patchy paintjob and the faded hull number. So a less than stellar surface IS high end modelling regarding the LCS :lol:  Not to mention the option for a patchy and uneven paintjob at your model too. You will just catch the real deal :punk:

Keep rolling!

- dutik

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has slowed down significantly - as has the photo quality! :rolleyes: Anyway, I am currently trying to spend every available minute working on the model and the only possibility is to work in the kitchen whilst the kids are playing in the living room. 

So, without any further explanation, here comes the progress. This has to be in my personal top three of the most annoying tasks in scale modeling - building the nets. The curved parts are 3D printed, the golden parts are obviously brass tubes (2mm diameter). The initial idea was to print the entire frames, but 1) they are not *that* easy to print and 2) my experience with 3D printed parts tells me that long, thin parts tend to deform over time. Let's hope that won't happen with the ones I have printed this time. 

Some of the finished frames. The wider ones are slightly less high than the ones at the bottom as they aren't fitted to the hull at the same height (see reference pics a few post earlier).

img_6967mmirq.jpg

And in situ. The frames will be held in place by a 1mm axis.

img_6969pecx8.jpg

img_6970gmic6.jpeg

Thanks a lot Maru and Pete! 

Well, building the frames was already super annoying, but it's easily topped by webbing the nets onto the frames. It's super tedious, boring and takes way longer than it look. I have spent the whole evening doing it while watching a replay of this year's Le Mans 24 hour race (which I was not able to finish either :D) and I only manage to finish five of them. That's less than half of the nets I have to build. And I am not even taking into account the nets I need for my two elevators and the diorama for the AH-1Z... anyway. 

The nets are actually bags containing onions my good friend Fred aka @stusbke has discovered and was kind enough to provide me with. Thanks a lot, mate! 

dba542a3-e67f-4978-bfalep0.jpg