MQ-8B Fire Scout - Brengun, 1/32

Starfighter

Final assembly is proceeding slowly. I have further pushed the weathering which is more pronounced on the real a/c than I initially thought - thankfully! 

img_6538dcii3.jpg

img_6539d0f0m.jpg

Meanwhile, I've also been thinking about a diorama base for the Fire Scout. The idea is to build a cutout of LHS-3 aka USS Fort Worth's flight deck. In order to obtain something dynamic, I have decided to slightly incline the deck to simulate the ship's movement. To get an idea, I made a simple 3D model to check proportions and size. The lwoer part will be a 400 x 300 wooden frame onto which the hull will be fitted. 

screenshot2022-09-301fdimy.jpg

screenshot2022-09-301l5d89.jpg

screenshot2022-09-301xmdiu.jpg

screenshot2022-09-301owe4m.jpg

Whilst the little ones were playing in the living room, I cut and glued some plastic sheet in the kitchen, hence the super crappy pics - but you get the idea. The wide angle photos kind of eat up the base's angles... but I am rather happy with it. 

img_6547xydnv.jpg

img_6548psduq.jpg

I have already selected some Reedoak figurines from my stash. They'll need a few minor modifications to go with the MQ-8.... but more on that - later! 

Thanks for your positive feedback! Building a slightly canted deck has been on my mind since I have started the (still unfinished and not canted) base for my AH-1Z. I thought this was the right opportunity to give it a go. The difficulty is to make it lok intentional without overdoing it. I'll let you judge whether I was successful or not. 

Whilst my family is on holiday, I had a very productive weekend at the bench. Probably the only time of the year I could watch TV (and having a beer) Uin the living room whilst guesstimating the padeye pattern and the dimensions of the deck details - and even drilling the holes for the padeyes... but don't tell anyone! 

img_6560d7djm.jpeg

img_6563ecdla.jpeg

I managed to design and print several parts for the LCS-3 flight deck, to design and cut several masks and to apply the nonskid surface and welding lines.

img_6570dlf4e.jpeg

Several areas were masked before the nonskid surface was applied. As usual, the masks were cut on my Silhouette Portrait using Oramask.

img_6573f4ity.jpeg

img_6574h7clj.jpeg

img_6575lxilt.jpeg

Welding lines were simluated with stretched sprue. 

img_6576hycyt.jpeg

The hole will be filled with a (non-functional) flight deck light. 

img_6577txdn0.jpeg

img_65798ge8n.jpeg

img_6578pae8g.jpeg

And here's the setup with the printed details in situ. I am rather pleased with the result so far I have to admit. 

img_658009cys.jpeg

img_6581fqc2x.jpeg

img_6582lzf4y.jpeg

I now have to draw the nets; I also have an idea how to replicate the heavily stressed skin of the hull. Once that’s done, painting can start. I will leave the MQ-8 as it is right now - I’ll add the remaining parts once it has been fitted to the base.

Edited by Starfighter

Cheers! :) Some important accessories have arrived yesterday - the baseplate and the patches. Time for a quick'n' dirty setup (and pic...) to check overall proportions. I am not totally unhappy but I guess the real effect will only become visible once everything has been painted. I should have some bench time later today; I will try to simulate the stressed skin of the hull. We'll see whether my idea works or not. 

img_6695x9d6a.jpg

Here comes the test on how to simulate the stressed skin. I am quite happy with the result, but I should have turned the plastic profiles by 90° to obtain sharper argles. Lesson learned for next time... The hull was covered with soft embossing aluminium foil. 

img_6697nni1o.jpeg

img_6698y8dw4.jpg

Edited by Starfighter