109 Experts... Short or long tail wheel?

Gazzas

21 minutes ago, D.B. Andrus said:

IMHO - short.

HTH

Damian

Agreed.  If you look closely, I think you can see the top part of the tail wheel above the boxes in the foreground.  Of course that's subject to interpretation but that's what my eyes see (such that they are :)).

After consulting with my few references, the Squadron/Signal book on the Messerschmitt Bf109 Part 2, indicates that White 9 (which is the aircraft pictured above) is a Bf109G-14 (pg 43 and color profile on pg 30) and would have a short tail wheel.  The photo posted above is a close-up of the 109 from a composite photograph (see above reference page 43).

Edited by Juggernut

2 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

IMHO - short.

HTH

Damian

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Agreed.  If you look closely, I think you can see the top part of the tail wheel above the boxes in the foreground.  Of course that's subject to interpretation but that's what my eyes see (such that they are :)).

After consulting with my few references, the Squadron/Signal book on the Messerschmitt Bf109 Part 2, indicates that White 9 (which is the aircraft pictured above) is a Bf109G-14 (pg 43 and color profile on pg 30) and would have a short tail wheel.  The photo posted above is a close-up of the 109 from a composite photograph (see above reference page 43).

Thank you!  I had those books in my former life when I lived in the states.  I sold/donated all the books I have as transporting them to Australia would have been prohibitively expensive.