Trumpeter P-40F and N

Aviacom

Hi,

Has anyone built either of these?

I know the Trumpeter P-40B/C is bad (Lots of inaccuracies, etc).

But I fancy adding one each of these to my collection, I'm half way thru the GWH P-40 now and its a truly gorgeous kit to build, its on par with the Tamiya F4U kits its that good!

Thanks in Advance

Hi,

Alas, the more recent Trumpeter P-40 are only slightly better than their P-40B. The Hasegawa kits are more difficult to build and not easy to find BUT are far more accurate even if not in the same league than the GWH model. Brett Green did a good assessment and build of the late mark: 

https://www.hyperscale.com/2022/reviews/kits/trumpeter02211reviewbg_1.htm

https://www.hyperscale.com/2022/galleries/p40n1trumpeter32bg_1.htm 

I had a close look at the E and F kits but as I have the full range of Hasegawa P-40s and a Greymatter F conversion, I quickly decided I would not purchase one. The kits just look like P-40s and are easy to build, nothing more.

Hth 

Thierry 

Thanks for the replies.

I ask, because I have a real, REAL hankering (I dont know why either!!) to build a French P-40 in Desert Camo.

So, maybe the Trumpeter P-40E is a better bet then as im not going to pay 'silly money' for a Hasegawa P-40.

Any other options?

Cheers

4 minutes ago, Aviacom said:

Thanks for the replies.

I ask, because I have a real, REAL hankering (I dont know why either!!) to build a French P-40 in Desert Camo.

So, maybe the Trumpeter P-40E is a better bet then as im not going to pay 'silly money' for a Hasegawa P-40.

Any other options?

Cheers

I guess you meant a French P-40F such as the ones of the Lafayette squadron? In that specific case, the Trumpeter kit, in spite of its issues, is probably the most reasonable option as finding an Hasegawa E, a Greymatter F conversion and Zotz decals will be close to impossible!

However, I'd recommend trying to find better scaled cockpit parts and a new spinner/propeller. This would already improve noticeably the kit look.

Thierry

1 minute ago, thierry laurent said:

I guess you meant a French P-40F such as the ones of the Lafayette squadron? In that specific case, the Trumpeter kit, in spite of its issues, is probably the most reasonable option as finding an Hasegawa E, a Greymatter F conversion and Zotz decals will be close to impossible!

However, I'd recommend trying to find better scaled cockpit parts and a new spinner/propeller. This would already improve noticeably the kit look.

Thierry

Hi Thierry,

I have already got the Zotz decals 'North African Warhawks', in fact, Ive had them for a few years and forgot all about them until the other day when looking for something else and come across them, I even thought about getting rid of them, but not until ive used the French part from them.

So whats the deal with aftermarket bits for the Trumpeter P-40F then? Anything available?

Thanks

I'm remembering Quickboost should have a P-40 propeller that looks better than the Trumpy one. There's possibly other ones. For the cockpit sides and bulkhead, I guess you can lengthen them with plastic card but at least the seat should be replaced as well. Out of my memory, there is one in the CMK range. However, I'm just giving you such info directly out of my memory. Frankly, I never assessed which are the most relevant AM sets for the Trumpy Warhawks as I did not get one.

Ive been thinking (Oh No!!!)!!

Instead of doing a French P-40 and all the problems with the Trumpeter kit, Are there any pictures or profiles of French P-40B/C's in Desert Camo?

I ask, because ive fell in love with the GWH kit im doing now, although this one is going to be RAF so id love to do another.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Aviacom said:

Ive been thinking (Oh No!!!)!!

Instead of doing a French P-40 and all the problems with the Trumpeter kit, Are there any pictures or profiles of French P-40B/C's in Desert Camo?

I ask, because ive fell in love with the GWH kit im doing now, although this one is going to be RAF so id love to do another.

Cheers

Sorry, but there were no early P-40B/C used by the French AF... they only used Curtiss H-75s.

Actually, out of my memory, there was a French order of early P-40 but they could not be delivered before the German invasion, and, with other orders, the planes were diverted to the RAF. The free French air force finally got P-40F when the allies had landed in North Africa. So, the French did not get any Curtiss airplanes between the H-75 (French P-36) used in May 40 and the P-40F they got in 1943.

I'm nearly there building the P-40M, it's my first ever P-40 build. Have to say I'm really impressed, used the Eduard cockpit A/M and it goes together well and looks great. Pleased with how the flaps area turned out and the surface detail ticks my box. Fit is good, no issues and only the briefest touch of filler in a couple of places. Overall I'm really impressed, I regret not building one sooner and it's made me want to do a RAAF P-40N in the near future.  Not sure of the accuracy of the kit as I have no interest in that side of modelling - it certainly looks like a P-40 though.  

I can tell you from experience that the Avionix resin cockpit for the Hasegawa P-40 will fit into the Trumpeter kit with very little difficulty, and only slight modifications (I've done it twice now, one for an F and another for an L). Feel free to PM me and I can give you some pointers and photos of my builds. Add in a new prop, some resin wheels, and suddenly you have a very respectable P-40 on your shelf. Are they as accurate as the Hasegawa kit? No, but they sure build easier. HTH.

-Daniel S.

Arvada, CO

Actually, from a main shapes perspective, the main issue of the Trumpeter kits is the too rounded canopy and spine sides. So, I guess this explains why it should not be difficult to use cockpit sets intended for the narrower Hasegawa kits. I guess the only area that will deserve a little bit of work is the top of the cockpit rear bulkhead. Not a big deal. However, are the Avionix cockpit sets still available? As far as I knew they fully stopped the production of their sets. Am I wrong?