1/35 Boeing AH-64D/E Apache from Takom

Kagemusha

Just now, Mark M said:

We still have D models, but as I previously stated they are different in the engine areas to a Boeing off the shelf D. The designation for ours are WAH-64D. These will all be replaced with E model Guardian series airframes.

Because they use different defensive systems, the  UK’s D models have a number of different external lumps and bumps than the US spec AH-64D you get in the kit.  They also use different rocket pods.  Engines are also different, but not sure of the visual differences.  Looking at photos in the W&W book, nothing really jumps out for me on the engines, but the lumps and bumps and rocket pod faces do.  You’ll need some new parts in addition to decals to make the WAH-64D model.

1 minute ago, Mark M said:

Just been reading the E won't use the brimstone bit the agm-179 which is a virtual copy of the brimstone but is standard for all E models, the question is does the E kit have these?

All I’ve seen is two versions of Hellfire on the sprues and in the instructions.  The D and E kits are US configuration AH-64s, with US decals.  There would be no reason for them to include Brimstone in the boxing.  Even the International E boxing doesn’t include British markings, so it’s unlikely they will include them also.

Someone needs to do a conversion for the British Apaches, and honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if someone was working on that already.

I’m 100% sure that they are intended to be AGM-114 Hellfires.  One is the 114L, which is the radar guided version used with the FCR.  The other is one of the later laser guided versions, of which they are a couple of versions.  The key will be the length since some of the laser versions (K and earlier models) are shorter than the radar version, and some (M) are the same length.  I think any resemblance to Brimstone is purely coincidental and Takom never had any intention of including Brimstones instead of Hellfire.  Again, no reason since there are no British marking options, plus I can’t see that they would have used British AH-64s as a basis for their kit weapons designs.

On 1/9/2023 at 10:16 AM, Dave Williams said:

Also, looking at the instructions, I’m not seeing any seat belts (might be on the PE fret), or more critically

The same question also confused me as I found seat belts on the PE fret.
After querying snowman, they told me that they FORGOT to add the step to the instructions.:BANGHEAD2:
Okay, we're all modelers... strive to enjoy the hobby and don't seek perfection.

Edited by wairco

On 1/4/2023 at 8:39 AM, Dave Williams said:

Got a shipping notice from some of the kits that I ordered from Chinese sellers on EBay, so it looks like they are out.

Surprise! My kit showed up today! USPS gave it a new tracking number so I had no idea. I got the D model; looks good!

16 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Nothing yet for me.  The tracking number for my kits only shows label created on Jan 5, and nothing since.

That's all my tracking number showed, only on Jan 4! When I got the package, it appeared the USPS assigned a new number. So, hopefully yours should be there soon.

14 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

That's all my tracking number showed, only on Jan 4! When I got the package, it appeared the USPS assigned a new number. So, hopefully yours should be there soon.

You’re right!  My D, and Es of the World kits arrived today.  Hopefully, my E, which shipped a day later will arrive soon.

Looks like they are nice kits.  The Es of the world kit has both exhausts, but only the E rotor blades.  It also has a small sprue with wingtip Stinger missiles, but doesn’t have the blade folding supports sprue that both the D and E kits have (likely due to space reasons since the boxes are packed).  The main kit differences (other than the decals) look to be:

D kit: D rotor blades, original Black Hole exhausts, folded blade supports, and original PNVS turret

E kit: E rotor blades, upturned exhausts, folded blade supports, newer Arrowhead PNVS turret

E’s of the World kit : E rotor blades, both exhaust sprues, both PNVS turrets, and wingtip Stinger missiles.

Like the E instructions show, all of the kit cockpits are missing the helmet sensors on the front of the glare shield and rear bulkhead.  Also, the D kit only has the original style PNVS turret (which is fine), but it also has the MFD screen in the gunners cockpit, instead of the original monocular sight.  I thought the MFD screen went with the later Arrowhead PNVS, the turret for which isn’t in the D kit.  Hopefully someone can clarify this.

Edited by Dave Williams