1/32 ZM Messerschmitt Bf109 G-14 7/JG.3 "Yellow 18"

monthebiff

12 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

The AK Real Colors spray beautifully Ade with low ideas Ade, I use their own thinners and they do perform very nicely indeed.  As they are not pre thinned you can brush paint as well for touching up and equally perform very nicely. I always used to use Tamiya acrylics with no problems but got fed up with home mixing colours. Started using Rea Colors this year and very happywoth the way they perform. 

Regards. Andy 

Thanks for that Andy. I'll bear them in mind. Do they need a lot of thinning or are they good with a 50/50 or 60/40 ratio? Will use their thinners if I pick these paints up.

6 minutes ago, ade rowlands said:

Thanks for that Andy. I'll bear them in mind. Do they need a lot of thinning or are they good with a 50/50 or 60/40 ratio? Will use their thinners if I pick these paints up.

I've thinned them at both 50/50 and 60/40 and not a lot in it to be honest. My first build with them was a Bf 108

20220307-202651.jpg

Regards. Andy 

I know Gaz has had huge issues with the tail of his build so was interested to see what the tall tail on my kit was like and initial fit was awful. My first problem was the two halves of the vertical stabilizer wouldn't close together properly at the bottom 

20220926-094734.jpg

Thus was due to the locating tab inside being to big and bottoming on the recess in the other half so off it came

20220926-094802.jpg

The horizontal stabiliser halves fit nicely together but fits poorly when offered up to the fuselage 

20220926-124007.jpg

also the part is skewed and not fitting squarely 

20220926-124103.jpg

On closer inspection the cause of this was the top of the tailwheel bulkhead fouling the horizontal stabiliser inside.

20220926-124226.jpg

So this was trimmed back as well as a tab between each stabiliser as well for good measure 

20220926-124930.jpg

20220926-124134.jpg

20220926-124214.jpg

That then gave me a nice square fitting part when fitted to the fuselage 

20220926-124907.jpg

A test fit of the vertical stabilizer fit with the horizontal away from the fuselage and all looked good

20220926-125539.jpg

20220926-125603.jpg

And then fitted to the fuselage 

20220926-125859.jpg

20220926-125903.jpg

As you can see it needs a shimmathe front fuselage joint but that's the best I fit I can manage, although not using it I'm interested to see what the early vertical stabilizer fit is like as well.

Regards. Andy 

4 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

Good to know all is not lost then. This is why I let others blaze the trails and lay the ground work for me. 

Definitely not all is lost Ade, the problems seem to stem from ZM's love of adding ridiculous amounts of details that just cannot be seen but equally this heavy handed area of the kit should have been picked up and sorted prior to release. It's all very well having beautifully molded pistons in an engine that cannot be seen or lots of detail in a closed of rear fuselage but then get a badly done tailplane that everyone can see! Yes the issues can be sorted but at the end of the day and I don't care what anyone says, on this area of the kit it has been done very poorly for what is a premium priced kit of the 109. The vertical stabilizer has such a sloppy fit to the horizontal it's very disappointing indeed. 

However, this kit is a bit of a game changer for the G series of 109's and has lots of options already in the box for you but at close to £100 foe a single engined aircraft I don't expect those fit issues on a new tool kit.

Regards. Andy 

9 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Definitely not all is lost Ade, the problems seem to stem from ZM's love of adding ridiculous amounts of details that just cannot be seen but equally this heavy handed area of the kit should have been picked up and sorted prior to release. It's all very well having beautifully molded pistons in an engine that cannot be seen or lots of detail in a closed of rear fuselage but then get a badly done tailplane that everyone can see! Yes the issues can be sorted but at the end of the day and I don't care what anyone says, on this area of the kit it has been done very poorly for what is a premium priced kit of the 109. The vertical stabilizer has such a sloppy fit to the horizontal it's very disappointing indeed. 

However, this kit is a bit of a game changer for the G series of 109's and has lots of options already in the box for you but at close to £100 foe a single engined aircraft I don't expect those fit issues on a new tool kit.

Regards. Andy 

I’d agree wholeheartedly with you on that whole statement. I wont lie, when I saw the issues in Gaz’s build and then yours I was tempted to put my kit up for sale as I’m in a rut with the hobby at the moment and really don’t need complicated builds or builds that fight back. 

thanks for the step by step Ade.

it seems like we are going to an awful lot of trouble to get to a £20 Revell 109

I remain wholly unimpressed with Z-m on this so far.

I know it's only one area but it's also highly prominent and such a joy killer for me, especially as I have made a concerted effort in the past year or so to stop building sh*t kits; if i was 20 years younger it may be a different story, but for me life's just too short to slog through it just because you can, when there are a Tamiya 1/32 kits out there, AND Kotare just coming onto the scene. 

PS I tried to look at all the pre-release marketing shots of the tail area and couldn't really find any close ups so cannot say whether or not the builders for Z-m had this issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good, Andy. Not too far behind you on the cockpit. Will get back to it after this weekend. I like the look of the late war RLM 66. Never seen it discussed before but I'm sure AK did their homework. The last thing I need is more RLM paint though so will go with the usual. I do have a few bottles of AK Real Color and like it a lot.

Cheers,

Jay