1/32 ZM Messerschmitt Bf109 G-14 7/JG.3 "Yellow 18"

monthebiff

Unfortunately the short tailwheel has to be fitted before the fuselage halves go together but you could cut it off and drill and pin on final assembly which I'm planning with the long tail wheel as it wouldn't last the build sequence without breaking.

Regards. Andy 

37 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

Unfortunately the short tailwheel has to be fitted before the fuselage halves go together but you could cut it off and drill and pin on final assembly which I'm planning with the long tail wheel as it wouldn't last the build sequence without breaking.

Regards. Andy 

I’ll look into doing the same when the time comes.

So after a good look through the sprues I couldn't find another bulkhead for the tall tailwheel so I'm guessing this will be on another sprue for another release down the road. So I decided to drill a 1mm hole in the supplied tailwheel bulkhead which gave me both the correct angle and the ability to fit during final assembly 

20220918-184117.jpg

20220918-185054.jpg

Also have all of the cockpit assembled and ready for an undercoat and then some colour.

20220918-230719.jpg

Really liking the way ZM have designed this kit, fit us excellent and clearly many more boxings to come looking at the breakdown.

Regards. Andy 

8 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

So after a good look through the sprues I couldn't find another bulkhead for the tall tailwheel so I'm guessing this will be on another sprue for another release down the road. So I decided to drill a 1mm hole in the supplied tailwheel bulkhead which gave me both the correct angle and the ability to fit during final assembly 

20220918-184117.jpg

20220918-185054.jpg

Also have all of the cockpit assembled and ready for an undercoat and then some colour.

20220918-230719.jpg

Really liking the way ZM have designed this kit, fit us excellent and clearly many more boxings to come looking at the breakdown.

Regards. Andy 

Nice progress, Andy.  The kit directions are pure G6.  Which I find a little disconcerting given all the effort every where else.  The G10 is more synonymous with the long stroke tail wheel.  I hope they just didn’t forget it.

2 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

Nice progress, Andy.  The kit directions are pure G6.  Which I find a little disconcerting given all the effort every where else.  The G10 is more synonymous with the long stroke tail wheel.  I hope they just didn’t forget it.

Completely agree Gaz, did find it strange that a different bulkhead wasn't supplied on the same sprue which includes the tall tail and tailwheel. I've checked through several times and can't find anything but was easily sorted. 

Regards. Andy 

On 9/18/2022 at 11:38 PM, monthebiff said:

Completely agree Gaz, did find it strange that a different bulkhead wasn't supplied on the same sprue which includes the tall tail and tailwheel. I've checked through several times and can't find anything but was easily sorted. 

Regards. Andy 

Hi Andy,

thanks for this - you are the future builders Budgie lol

I have just got mine so it’s nice to get to look ahead - those parts look awesome! 

On 9/19/2022 at 1:12 AM, monthebiff said:

20220918-184117.jpg

Hi Andy,

There is no need for a separate bulkhead for the "long tail undercarriage". The "notch" just in front of the hole you drilled is where the "pin" at the top of the tail undercarriage strut is meant to fit. 

HTH,

Radu

7 hours ago, Radub said:

Hi Andy,

There is no need for a separate bulkhead for the "long tail undercarriage". The "notch" just in front of the hole you drilled is where the "pin" at the top of the tail undercarriage strut is meant to fit. 

HTH,

Radu

Thank you for that Radu, absolutely tremendous kit by the way thank you!

Regards. Andy 

Have the cockpit sub assemblies primed and was planning on using the Barracudacast G series instrument panel which is designed for the Revell kits and features very nice detail, I can confirm this isn't really an option as there is quite a difference in general shape and size so will stick with the ZM kit parts.

20220921-195116.jpg

20220922-220515.jpg

20220922-220606.jpg

The last picture shows the panel I'm using on my F-4 build but as you can see some clear differences, however I will still be using the Barracudacast placards as they are so good and always give amazing results.

Regards. Andy 

The clear panel does not have the raised instrument "markers" and that gives you flat faces for the decals. 

By the way, the resin panel is not suitable for an F-4. The F did not have the larger "artificial horizon" instrument (the compass was there), all four instruments on the "blind flying" panel were the same size. 

HTH 

Radu 

On 9/23/2022 at 12:52 PM, Radub said:

The clear panel does not have the raised instrument "markers" and that gives you flat faces for the decals. 

By the way, the resin panel is not suitable for an F-4. The F did not have the larger "artificial horizon" instrument (the compass was there), all four instruments on the "blind flying" panel were the same size. 

HTH 

Radu 

Thank you Radu, I will be using the clear instrument panels on this one and thank you for pointing out the panel difference on the F which I have now modified!

Regards. Andy 

Managed to get some basic colour on the cockpit ready for washes and detail painting 

20220925-154236.jpg

Also now glued the fuel tank in place as it makes like easier to hold while painting

20220925-155459.jpg

So I'm again using AK Real Color on my current builds and here is a very interesting comparison of their two different shades of RLM 66 with the late version having a kind of greenish tint to it.

20220924-220423.jpg

Not so taken with it compared to the colour of the F-4 above but I will continue with it as I'm intreaged to see how it looks after weathering.

Regards. Andy 

2 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Managed to get some basic colour on the cockpit ready for washes and detail painting 

20220925-154236.jpg

Also now glued the fuel tank in place as it makes like easier to hold while painting

20220925-155459.jpg

So I'm again using AK Real Color on my current builds and here is a very interesting comparison of their two different shades of RLM 66 with the late version having a kind of greenish tint to it.

20220924-220423.jpg

Not so taken with it compared to the colour of the F-4 above but I will continue with it as I'm intreaged to see how it looks after weathering.

Regards. Andy 

How do the AK Paints spray? Are these the ones in the glass jar or the Acrylics in dropper bottles? Thinking of picking some up as MRP no longer ship here and more and more finding the colours I want out of stock with suppliers plus the problem of them being not brush paintable to apply small touch ups, even if letting the paint sit and dry for a bit before applying it I’d find a different tone when dry so thinking of swapping to something that is easy to get hold of and brush paintable for those small fixes. 

10 minutes ago, ade rowlands said:

How do the AK Paints spray? Are these the ones in the glass jar or the Acrylics in dropper bottles? Thinking of picking some up as MRP no longer ship here and more and more finding the colours I want out of stock with suppliers plus the problem of them being not brush paintable to apply small touch ups, even if letting the paint sit and dry for a bit before applying it I’d find a different tone when dry so thinking of swapping to something that is easy to get hold of and brush paintable for those small fixes. 

The AK Real Colors spray beautifully Ade with low ideas Ade, I use their own thinners and they do perform very nicely indeed.  As they are not pre thinned you can brush paint as well for touching up and equally perform very nicely. I always used to use Tamiya acrylics with no problems but got fed up with home mixing colours. Started using Rea Colors this year and very happywoth the way they perform. 

Regards. Andy