Zoukei Moura Bf-109 G-14 a Non-Hartmann Build 1/32 Scale

Gazzas

17 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Didja buy it yet?

shAlvro.thumb.jpeg.0fd7eeaed2b2e8e4a6d2b487c51db2ce.jpeg

I had mentally heralded the single-piece stabilizer as some great engineering.  After years of wiggling and adjusting, finally a flat tailplane.

IMG_1291.thumb.JPG.aca2412e41008f9de15965b3aac50c75.JPG

But once I got to dry-fitting the entire empennage, the future wasn't looking so bright.

IMG_1287.thumb.JPG.753f98df9695a123027739cc60d1efe1.JPG

My first thought was that this model had just become a G6 instead of a G14.

So, I assembled the short horizontal stabilizer and discovered it wasn't very much different than the taller tail.

IMG_1288.thumb.JPG.083772f856db4df36c1c83e5b66e0759.JPG

IMG_1289.thumb.JPG.aacb14edee6404c2addc9952d21e6e91.JPG

My next thought was that I could saw the vertical stabilizer in half and reassemble it making it narrower.   However, the fault is of different width at the bottom side of the vertical stabilizer assembly. 

So...    There will be some modelling required.  I will put some shims on the inside of the stabilizer to fill gaps.  Then, I will file and sand the offending areas to shape.   Heh...   all of that stuff we have been hoping to avoid.

In other news....

One of the great things about the directions is a blue highlighted area to point out gluing surfaces.

IMG_1283.thumb.JPG.2215bf903a654ad6db8cd00728aa9016.JPG

So, I glued the cockpit in as directed.

And then decided to check the directions regarding an interior frame I had purposely omitted.

IMG_1284.thumb.JPG.bb00f5333cef1ebee5d6caa525851f59.JPG

Seems you need it to hold on the ventral plate under the cockpit.   So, I added it.

IMG_1285.thumb.JPG.c9c780023829e7082feaf2b5ab8a43ce.JPGi

It also helps determine the height of the after end of the cockpit deck.

Much to my chagrin. I discovered that the first aid access hatch was too easy to sink too deep into the side of the fuselage.

So, I had to pry it out carefully and shim it up.

IMG_1286.thumb.JPG.01a71d9bcd8ea3057acfa22d8c102547.JPG

So...  I implore you.  Don't follow the directions.  Attach the first aid access hatch before you close the fuselage up.

I also put Mr. surfacer over the sink marks I pointed out earlier.

IMG_1290.thumb.JPG.b38973db6fe28073fb36b23ba5abcac5.JPG

Now to let it dry.

Meanwhile...  I'll start back on the wings and ruminate further on the empennage mess.

Happy modelling!

Not got that far yet Gaz but are you for real on that tail fit as its absolutely appalling, will tell you next week my experiences in this area. Hope its not like that as it will be very disappointing 

Regards. Andy 

10 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

Wow... that issue with the tail is very surprising.  Not to insult your intelligence but... it's not upside down is it?  That the one thing that popped into my mind for some reason.

Reasonable question.   No...   not upside down.  It's engineered so that upside-down is impossible.

I am in two minds over the tail issue…

1) snip parts of sprues in my kit and do some dry fitting myself

2) contact Z-m asking to return my kit 

I was really looking forward to this but am completely deflated seeing this, especially as I am making Tamiya’s P-51 at the moment where you just don’t have this kind of sh*t

not happy :angry2:

1 hour ago, nmayhew said:

I am in two minds over the tail issue…

1) snip parts of sprues in my kit and do some dry fitting myself

2) contact Z-m asking to return my kit 

I was really looking forward to this but am completely deflated seeing this, especially as I am making Tamiya’s P-51 at the moment where you just don’t have this kind of sh*t

not happy :angry2:

I understand exactly how you feel.  I actually went to the Volks site to complain/notify, but gave up since I’m already committed to the build, and that the site seems a bit user unfriendly to this Luddite.

I spent about 3 hours yesterday fixing it, and am still unhappy with the result.  It’s not just that the centre of the tail plane is off, but also that the uppermost edge of the large fairing at the leading edge of the horizontal stabiliser is too wide to mate cleanly with the horizontal stabiliser itself.  Plus I had to insert a shim in there as well.

47 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

I understand exactly how you feel.  I actually went to the Volks site to complain/notify, but gave up since I’m already committed to the build, and that the site seems a bit user unfriendly to this Luddite.

I spent about 3 hours yesterday fixing it, and am still unhappy with the result.  It’s not just that the centre of the tail plane is off, but also that the uppermost edge of the large fairing at the leading edge of the horizontal stabiliser is too wide to mate cleanly with the horizontal stabiliser itself.  Plus I had to insert a shim in there as well.

Hey Gaz, knowing how damn good the fuselage fit is, this is nothing but very disappointing for such an expensive kit. 

Not really acceptable at all but I guess  the guys designing the thing felt it was satisfactory but if it is that bad on such an obvious area them shame on them for letting it through.

Will be interesting to see other comments as people start building this one. 

Regards. Andy 

2 hours ago, Antonio Argudo said:

there should be some of step on the tail but looks like ZM did not nail that insertion

26172223-1697580233613746-56102347706625

this is from a revell build

11958171-520641658091599-683447804599474

rafm-bf109g-14.jpg

You are exactly right, Tony.  And because that ‘step’ is missing in the fairing, it is too wide at top and front.

Whoever designed the tail plane went even farther from the proper dimensions as it is even wider. 

I just don’t know if I can get the parts to look as fine as they should.

Looks like the idea to solve the issue is to thin down the upper and lower vertical lip of the cover from the outside to scale thickness. Then rebuild the small bulges if neccessary. Maybe to add before some styrene from inside of the lip to avoid breaking whilke sanding. Finally fill the remaining gap at the front (between lower and upper fin) with styrene and putty. Maybe this might work.

Regards

- dutik

OK...   so here is my rendition.

Step 1:  Insert sprue wedges to widen Horizontal Stab.

Step 2:  File, sand, and smooth fairings at inner edge of elevators.

Step 3.  Insert shim at front of horizontal stabilizer.

Step 4.  File and sand fairing to match thickness of the horizontal Stab.

IMG_1299.thumb.JPG.9b843f7e35c4620315c36f789523a119.JPG

IMG_1300.thumb.JPG.0ab3c37ed96ef0f2f7779b8b87dfb477.JPG

IMG_1301.thumb.JPG.f9a42230bc2080489c168671fcda8cea.JPG

It may require a little filler behind the shim.

I didn't have to remove the sphere parts from the fairing....  Thankfully.