Blackhawk Helicopter reference books

Starting a build of the Kitty Hawk MH-60L Blackhawk kit. I am looking for a good reference book for this aircraft with lots of pictures. Does anyone have any suggestions of a good book and where to get it? 

Edited by Aircav1980

Well, surprisingly, there are not many options. I know it as I made a similar search two years ago (to build an Israeli MH-60L)

The Blackhawk UH-60A was of the very first WWP references but it is OOP for ages. Isra publications never covered the Blackhawk. Squadron released years ago an old 'In Action' then a decent walkaround book about the A/L and the Pave Hawk and more recently two revamped 'in Action'; one about the Blackhawk/Pave Hawk and the other about the Seahawk and its variants. There are some foreign Seahawks books (e.g. from Greece) but this will not help you. Besides that, you have chapters here and there, articles in magazine but no decent and recent global reference about the Blackhawk.

This is quite crazy when you consider that helicopter family is in service for four decades in dozen of countries...:blink:

The best source stays the web but you need to do A LOT OF searches to find interesting things. So, my recommendation is: choose a configuration, a timeslot and possibly one group of units. Then, from there, start looking after information on the web and social networks.  If you really want paper, try finding the Squadron Signal walkaround and last Blackhawk in action.

Hth at least a little bit...

Thierry

Thanks for the info Thierry. I do have one of the Squadron In Action books but I was disappointed with it. I was just hoping for something like what Reid Air offers for some fixed wing aircraft. I too am surprised by the lack of material for such a prevalent aircraft.

Thought there was a guy around here (actually, maybe it was the ARC helo forum) who was writing an in-depth guide to the UH-60 (geared towards modelers).     I thought the book would have been released a year or two back, for the life of me I can't recall the name of it though.   

13 hours ago, John1 said:

Thought there was a guy around here (actually, maybe it was the ARC helo forum) who was writing an in-depth guide to the UH-60 (geared towards modelers).     I thought the book would have been released a year or two back, for the life of me I can't recall the name of it though.   

I do not think anything was ever released. Unfortunately, it seems helo books do not sell well. When I asked Raanan Weiss (the guy behind Isra Publications) why he had not published other books about Israeli helicopters, he replied to me he was still struggling to sell the remaining part of the FIRST batch of the two books he printed about the IAF Cobra and Apache whereas the books about jets were selling as hot cakes and commonly re-printed! I guess this explains that but this is a pity!

20 hours ago, Hawkwrench said:

Are you wanting to build a 160th MH-60L from the Somalia era???

Tim

Yeah that is definitely what I am planning to do. Haven't decided which one specifically yet though. 

I have ordered a book. I will see how good it is when I get it. https://www.scalemates.com/books/uh60-black-hawk-rotor-books-rb001-robert-burik--130331

Edited by Aircav1980

2 hours ago, Aircav1980 said:

Yeah that is definitely what I am planning to do. Haven't decided which one specifically yet though. 

I have ordered a book. I will see how good it is when I get it. https://www.scalemates.com/books/uh60-black-hawk-rotor-books-rb001-robert-burik--130331

That’s the book I was trying to remember.  I’ll be doing an OIF Lima model in the future, let me know how you like the book.  

I can help you out with info and lots of pics from the net about the Somalia MH-60's.

I was part of the research team for Werners wings that made the "Irene" decals for the Somalia birds.

If you want an accurate OGS helo, you gotta get the decals.

Which "Super" help are you gonna model???

Tim

33 minutes ago, Hawkwrench said:

I can help you out with info and lots of pics from the net about the Somalia MH-60's.

I was part of the research team for Werners wings that made the "Irene" decals for the Somalia birds.

If you want an accurate OGS helo, you gotta get the decals.

Which "Super" help are you gonna model???

Tim

Tim

I would appreciate all of the photos I can get. I am not only interested in making the most accurate model possibly I can but also the history. I ordered the Werner’s Wings decals already and was going to wait until I find out which helos are included in that set. First choice would probably be Super 62 with second choice being Super 64 or Super 61. I know that does not narrow it down much. I would appreciate any help you can give me. I love getting into the history of the aircraft and who flew them. Thanks in advance. Chris