ICM FIAT CR.42 in Belgian service.

quang

@dennismcc Add to that the fact that it’s quite possible that on the assembly chain, there were 2 or more painters on each aircraft, one for each side (right/left) of the plane and also for each colour (green/ brown) of the mottling.

Furthermore the painter’s morphology can also have an influence on the painting.
Imagine one worker with long arms and another one with shorter ones :P. It would have a definitive impact on the spray gun passes.

For these reasons, I wouldn’t worry too much about the symmetry of the patterns, as long as it looks good.
Thank you for chiming in.

Cheers,

Quang

11 hours ago, dennismcc said:

True, the painter might of had an argument with his wife and been in a bad mood on the day that a certain aircraft was painted and he wasn't in the mood to do a good job.

Cheers

Dennis

They probably all imagined they were painting the Sistine Chapel or La Giocondo instead of a mundane CR 42! 

20 hours ago, quang said:

@dennismcc Add to that the fact that it’s quite possible that on the assembly chain, there were 2 or more painters on each aircraft, one for each side (right/left) of the plane and also for each colour (green/ brown) of the mottling.

Furthermore the painter’s morphology can also have an influence on the painting.
Imagine one worker with long arms and another one with shorter ones :P. It would have a definitive impact on the spray gun passes.

For these reasons, I wouldn’t worry too much about the symmetry of the patterns, as long as it looks good.
Thank you for chiming in.

Cheers,

Quang

Actually you can see it clearly on various German plane pictures. It is even more obvious on large ones such as Ju-88 night fighters.

36 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Actually you can see it clearly on various German plane pictures. It is even more obvious on large ones such as Ju-88 night fighters.

Not only. :coolio:
In fact these differences are inherent and inseparable of every human activity. This is the reason why standardization was created, 

Without much ado, the mottling continues.

DA31923-C-EFEB-46-A3-A4-DE-A220-BD288-AE

BE755-D4-C-E3-EC-4520-945-D-13-F5-FBD784

CC1-FC381-0319-4511-9-EBA-E4-EE2-D56-B1-

The Red-brown is added.
Notice how just a few spots of this third colour alter the look of the previous mottling. The ratio between green and brown varied from plane to plane.

I decided to use just a little of this third colour and leave the camo prominently green to make the Belgian national insignia stand out.

It’s also why I added the roundels in the first place.
67-C01-B6-F-77-DB-41-E8-A151-2-B3-F7036-

The above photo is digitally desatured for a comparison with the period photographs.
The purpose is to check the contrast between the mottling and the background and also evaluate the degree of overspray / fuzziness of the squiggles.
D3-B9-DC9-E-AF66-4238-A73-A-CF1-C52-F2-C

EC61-CDA7-72-EC-40-FE-8-F19-7401-EFE2369

C99398-A4-444-B-44-B2-A3-DB-56-D5-EDD1-E

4-EA94088-0-ABE-4-C50-94-E6-3856-C6-A395

5-F9-BAB1-C-0-DB7-4116-9-B89-149-CBFD159

The ‘cocotte’(origami paper bird) was the personal emblem of WWI ballon-buster ace Willy Coppens.

It became the unit insignia of the 2è Wing of the Belgian Aéronautique Militaire with the 2è (white cocotte) and 3è (red cocotte) squadrons.

B4-C88-C83-F394-496-A-80-C7-D585-D124338

Photo courtesy of belgian-wings.be For info only

The insignia was scaled down and drawn with special attention to  its size and location.
The mask was hand-cut from frisket film and sprayed with Gunze Off-white.

B4937-CDB-1-F58-43-BD-99-B2-1-FD55-D9-D8

650525-F6-3-EDF-447-F-81-E5-6-F9-D8-D2-E

Modified ICM Italian pilot checking his new mount. :coolio:
5-B325-AB0-6-D1-A-406-F-A377-967-EF91552

That’s it for today, folks. Next time, we’ll start the patina.

Until then,

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quang

Love that kind of photo Quang, it brings the human element to the machine.  Such pictures make me wonder how many survived the war and what were the circumstances of those who didn't (my researcher side getting the better of me)!

2 hours ago, mozart said:

Love that kind of photo Quang, it brings the human element to the machine.  Such pictures make me wonder how many survived the war and what were the circumstances of those who didn't (my researcher side getting the better of me)!

The picture was taken in April 1940, one month before the German blitzkrieg.

You can find most of the pilots’ names mentioned in this account of the first days of the war  HERE.

Several fled occupied Belgium and joined the RAF during the war. 

2 hours ago, TimW said:

Beautiful work!

Tim W.

Thanks Tim

15 hours ago, mozart said:

Strangely enough Max that is exactly what I do, what was their story, did they survive, as in the photos they are full of life.

Cheers

Dennis