Upcoming Japanese Model Show - New Tamiya Releases?

John1

2 hours ago, Archimedes said:

Hi Michael, we are, it seems, a niche market for sure.  Perhaps Tamiya’s response is to engender engagement (it’s what many online marketing strategies do).  I guess Tamiya do the kits that we would expect a company who focus on quality and ‘iconic’ machines to do. We see this in their other ranges: they are naturally conservative, generally pick icons only and clearly that is part of a business model that has worked over many decades.  If all of that is a ‘bit of a yawn’ then OK it is what it is. For me I regard them as a bit of a pole-star in the modelling world: I know they will work slowly and diligently, that they will probably only pick ‘obvious’ subject matter but will produce a very high quality product at the end of it.

Cheers

Paul

There's certainly no denying their quality.  Some of their latest 1/48 models look terrific.  But the aged eyes don't cater for such small scales any longer.....  :(

Cheers,

Michael

On 9/30/2022 at 2:26 PM, cbk57 said:

I love Tamiya and if you thought Tamiya were the only company out there you would be right but I have a Great Wall 1/32 Hawk 81 and a Kotare Spitfire Mk I on order, I could purchase a Zoukei 1/32 Bf-109G but don:t have the time with those two awaiting me.  There are some great manufacturers that are delivering all of the high quality LSPs we can handle a new Airfix 1/24 is on the way too.  How much time do you have to build?  I see you mentioned jets and some 1/32 jets have been released albeit by Italeri, Trumpeter and others, the quality may not be as good but they are out there.  Is modeling life really so bad?  Tamiya is my favorite manufacturer but I have plenty to work on if they never do another LSP.  If Tamiya never did another 1/32 kit I would be fine, just disappointed, even from their current catalog, I have yet to build a 1/32 F-16, F-15, F4u-1a, F-4 or Mosquito.  From that list alone I would need 5 years to complete all of those planes if I chose to build them all.

I forgot to mention, everyone that bought a new Border model lancaster is going to be working away on a singular kit for the next two years.  Just that kit alone could make it pointless to issue a 1/32 new kit if half the 1/32 plane enthusiast bought and built a lancaster.  

I agree with what you write. Other companies are filling the gaps and Tamiya is just becoming another brand. And the years needed to build it all? You're quite right that takes many years actually. The Lancaster of course being an enormous challenge. I also love the F-104s Italeri issued. Who would have thought? Again, Tamiya, may have been a trail blazer in 1/32 for a little while, but other companies have taken over. Even Trumpeter issued some great kits. Accuracy can always be discussed but it is what it is, but Tamiya is probably not doing 1/32 anymore.

39 minutes ago, Mr.T said:

I agree with what you write. Other companies are filling the gaps and Tamiya is just becoming another brand. And... Tamiya is probably not doing 1/32 anymore.

I agree too. If we want 1/32, we build the stuff that's already out and look to new horizons. 

The 1/48 Tamiya F-35 was predictable but I was hoping for another McDonnell F-4 while I'm still compos mentis. Glad Meng has come through. 

Tony 

2 hours ago, Mr.T said:

I agree with what you write. Other companies are filling the gaps and Tamiya is just becoming another brand. And the years needed to build it all? You're quite right that takes many years actually. The Lancaster of course being an enormous challenge. I also love the F-104s Italeri issued. Who would have thought? Again, Tamiya, may have been a trail blazer in 1/32 for a little while, but other companies have taken over. Even Trumpeter issued some great kits. Accuracy can always be discussed but it is what it is, but Tamiya is probably not doing 1/32 anymore.

It is premature to say Tamiya is done with 1/32, they issued a bunch of 1/12 cars from about 1970 until 1982, then nothing until the 1990s then they did three f-1 cars and the Caterham series which came out in 1994 then nothing until 2005, Enzo and 2013 Porsche Carerra then nothing but reissues for 1/12 cars since then.  So a 10 year gap between 1/32 kits would not be unheard of for Tamiya.  I am comparing their 1/12 car kits because they have a longer history than their 1/32 subjects.  I suspect 1/32 is more profitable than 1/12 cars especially with licensing so I suspect it more realistic that we are getting 1/32 planes than 1/12 cars.  

3 hours ago, Wurgermeister64 said:

I was hoping for a 1/48 or dare I say, a 1/32 F-4G Wild Weasel from Tamiya, but hey, that's just me. After their stellar Mosquito FB VI, I thought they would work on a F6F Hellcat as well, but Mr T issued an F-35....oh, well. Modern jet jocks, will no doubt indulge themselves...:)

Given that both Zoukei Mura and Meng have released (Z-M) and announced (Meng) new tool 1/48 F-4Gs, we’re probably covered on that front.