Upcoming Japanese Model Show - New Tamiya Releases?

John1

15 hours ago, adameliclem said:

I checked the next year’s “Guesses and Wishes for Tamiya 2022 Releases” poll. Out of one hundred-seventy respondents, six asked for aircraft in 1/32nd scale. The P-47D, Bf-109G-6 and E-4 and F6F Hellcat were requested. Again, the great majority was for stuff that rolls on the ground, with a small uptick in wishes for aircraft in 1/48th and 1/72nd scales.

Adam

Four asked for a follow-on 1/48 Phantom to their excellent F-4B, three of them for an F-4E/EJ. That's not too bad at 2.3% of requests. 

13 hours ago, Maxim61 said:

I don't think Tamiya will be releasing any new 1/32 kits this year so don't get your hopes up when the Japanese model show opens. I think Tamiya have moved onto other stuff. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong but I doubt it. I'd happily put down $300 or so for an all new tooled 1/32 F-14A like their 48 scale kit. Now who's going to release that 1/32 F-111 that I really want.

You and me both. Sadly, that dream probably ended when Baris Tanzoy was unable to progress with the 1/32 F-111A/E (or Su-33 Sea Flanker) on cost and health grounds. The ResKit-corrected and enhanced Hobby Boss Aardvark kits are probably as good as it's going to get in mainstream kit form. 

I'm not overly concerned about Tamiya, or 1/32 really, any more, as long as Revell and ICM toss some crumbs our way from time to time. There are some great models coming out in smaller scales, especially in my preferred genres of 1930s monoplane curiosities and 1960s+ Cold War jets.   

Tony 

10 hours ago, cbk57 said:

https://www.facebook.com/TamiyaUSA, here is the link, I cannot see the post I created, I do not know if they have not approved it yet or what.  However we should be posting what we want.  And yes by assertive I don't mean rude, or demanding, I mean persistent.  One of our members has spent years asking for a Kate or a Val, we need to be doing the same with Tamiya.  Posting on their facebook page, emailing, answering new request lists on Tamiya blog.  We need to be polite but insistent that we are serious and we buy 1/32 planes.  

In a Scotiish accent which you might not understand your side of the pond YOUR WASTIN YOUR TYME LADDIE  :rolleyes:!  

1 hour ago, jbrennan said:

In a Scotiish accent which you might not understand your side of the pond YOUR WASTIN YOUR TYME LADDIE  :rolleyes:!  

Agree, Tamiya are in a world of their own and make what they want and I don't think they pay any attention to what modellers ask for.

3 hours ago, jbrennan said:

I don't know Scottish for you are wrong.  The head of Tamiya USA gave an interview on one of the podcasts a few months ago and went into great detail about their willingness to listen and transmit what we want to Tamiya Inc who does listen.  That does not mean it easy to get them to do something, but silence will get you nowhere.  The whole reason the p-38 came about was from Tamiya USA.

Edited by cbk57

7 hours ago, cbk57 said:

I don't know Scottish for you are wrong.  The head of Tamiya USA gave an interview on one of the podcasts a few months ago and went into great detail about their willingness to listen and transmit what we want to Tamiya Inc who does listen.  That does not mean it easy to get them to do something, but silence will get you nowhere.  The whole reason the p-38 came about was from Tamiya USA.

Clearly you arnt thinking this through. As stated look at the recent releases. And a P-38, in 1/48 ?! not exacltly very daring is it, a common subject to suit the vast American market.

Jon

Clearly you arnt thinking this through. As stated look at the recent releases. And a P-38, in 1/48 ?! not exacltly very daring is it, a common subject to suit the vast American market.

Jon

I have given this a lot more thought than you think i have.  I have been reading these threads for many years.  Don't do anything if you like or get involved as you please.  You also do not understand the time line I am thinking in.  I am not running around thinking we will get an LSP from Tamiya next year because of trying to influence them, but if we are persistent at some point we might.  If we do nothing we might not get anything.  However, you are wholly incorrect to assert that Tamiya does not pay attention to the market or what modelers want.  

I am in general terms a Tamiya enthusiast, not just airplanes and have invested way too many hours over the last 15 years studying all of their new releases in every subject and every kit review.  I do not buy every kit, but I am interested in every Tamiya release so I know them pretty well at this point.  It used to be I would comb the net looking for unannounced details on their new releases.  That is becoming less necessary as they have become less opaque.  

Edited by cbk57

Now steady on ! I was trying to inject a little humour here. You need to lighten up and be a little less intense. At the end of the day we are talking about bits of plastic which in the bigger picture come in a pretty low priority. 

Take it easy

jon

Now steady on ! I was trying to inject a little humour here. You need to lighten up and be a little less intense. At the end of the day we are talking about bits of plastic which in the bigger picture come in a pretty low priority

Take it easy

jon

Heresy! 

However, I do worry about my carbon footprint, which must by now — having bought loads of kits and vinyl records since about 1965 — be pretty awful.

Tony

Now steady on ! I was trying to inject a little humour here. You need to lighten up and be a little less intense. At the end of the day we are talking about bits of plastic which in the bigger picture come in a pretty low priority. 

Take it easy

jon

Appreciated, however it can be hard to discern the difference between humor, insulting, or just a general lack of respect when taken in writing.  

52 minutes ago, Tony T said:

Heresy! 

However, I do worry about my carbon footprint, which must by now — having bought loads of kits and vinyl records since about 1965 — be pretty awful.

Tony

Thank you - didnt really have CO2 in mind at the time Tony T. Dont really think our modelling would affect things that way very much. Yes still got my original Pink floyd dark side of the moon and wish you were here vinyl, ehg heady days. Anyway I digress.

Whilst I am on I think it was yourself (memory not too good these days) who I was talking to recently regarding PR spitfire 1/24 possibilities and the HKM mosquito, which you were considering purchasing / building. Please would you take a look at my humble rendition of a Mossie PR34 build on 'most recent articles'.

Thanks

Jon

The 1/48 P-38 is popular in the U.S. market but it also seems to be popular in the Japanese market talking with friends in Japan what they do tell me is that !/32 scale isn't as popular there , space restrictions maybe? Their apartments aren't very big so display space maybe at a premium. Tamiya's big money maker is R.C. and it's huge in Japan. When I visited in 2013 , , the 6 shops I went to all had R.C. tracks , dirt and paved , and they were packed! We may still see something from them , they tend to play their cards pretty close to their chest