Upcoming Japanese Model Show - New Tamiya Releases?

John1

4 hours ago, Juggernut said:

I know...I mentioned that at the top of this thread... There's absolutely nothing wrong with the existing 1/32 Tamiya kit of the P-51K so I don't know what's up.

I can see their point. You can't build a louvered vent P-51K from the Tamiya kit and the resin replacements available don't fit the Tamiya kit to the same standard as the rest of the kit. It would just need to include those vents to reissue the kit as a P-51K or Mustang MK IV.

30 minutes ago, berneckir said:

I can see their point. You can't build a louvered vent P-51K from the Tamiya kit and the resin replacements available don't fit the Tamiya kit to the same standard as the rest of the kit. It would just need to include those vents to reissue the kit as a P-51K or Mustang MK IV.

See.   The market demands it.  

22 hours ago, cbk57 said:

That is not correct, they are tooling car kits, sci fi kits and things like that.  They have been regularly releasing new car kits designed to appeal to the Japanese market.  Among them a recent Toyota MR2.  For this show they are announcing a vintage Supra and a 1970s or 1980s Isuzu sports coupe.   If you check the Hobby Search website, they have the Hasegawa new releases, they are doing a ton of car kits.  I took a second look and they have tooled a new Toyota sports racer which I thought was one of their old kits but it is all new.  They may have some military releases but I have a hard time telling what is new and old with them because their old aircraft catalog is pretty massive.  There are other releases I am sure but I do not follow Hasegawa that closely.  A problem we have in this group is the name “large scale planes”, there is a lot more to the scale modeling world than things with wings.  Our 1/32 preferred or 1/24 airplanes are a side show in the modeling world for most manufacturers.  We are lucky to have some companies that are very serious about 1/32 like Zoukei, HKM and even Airfix who seems interested in periodically releasing a new 1/24 tool kit.

Er actually no ! I was refering to aircraft and this site refers to aircraft, the clue is in its name. And I am well aware of our standing in the world of modelling and how lucky we are etc etc. 

Jon

You have to assume Tamiya is out of the 1/32 aircraft business, until they prove they are not with a new release.

The sales aren't there, and they have TONS of stuff to concentrate on in other areas, like paints, materials, tools, and above all, all the R/C stuff which is their real life blood, and what most modelers ignore.

16 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Soooo, Tamiya should produce an entirely new kit just for some louvered vents?  Yeah, that’s not gonna happen.  Doesn’t the ZM kit include the louvered vent panels?

Dave, didn't they do that with their entire P-51D series by just adding a new small sprue to the existing kit and issuing it as a different variant, such as the F-6D and P-51D/K? They would not be producing "an entirely new kit". I don't understand why you are being so dismissive when all I was trying to do is shed some light on why someone listed the P-51K request. The ZM kit does include the part, but it is under size compared to the Tamiya opening. I for one would build a Tamiya MK IV.

Edited by berneckir
addition

Fleet Air Arm Corsair!  A new sprue with the required wingtips and vents and then the F4U-1D wing under surfaces without the Rocket Launcher bits are all that are quirked there, or the F4U-1A under wings with the Landing light deleted.

Edited by ade rowlands

29 minutes ago, berneckir said:

Dave, didn't they do that with their entire P-51D series by just adding a new small sprue to the existing kit and issuing it as a different variant, such as the F-6D and P-51D/K? They would not be producing "an entirely new kit". I don't understand why you are being so dismissive when all I was trying to do is shed some light on why someone listed the P-51K request. The ZM kit does include the part, but it is under size compared to the Tamiya opening. I for one would build a Tamiya MK IV.

This ^^^

I actually heard a rumor that this is in the works along with many other upgrades to this decade-old kit.  Fingers firmly crossed.  I’d be in for at least 3-4 of these.  

Apart from the known Tamiya releases to be “released” at the show, I’m sure that there will be 1 surprise plastic model release, I’d love it to be a new 1/32 aircraft, 1/6 motorcycle or 1/12 scale car, but it’ll probably be a 1/48 aircraft (no, not a B-29:D) or 1/24 scale car.

4 hours ago, Smokeyforgothispassword said:

Apart from the known Tamiya releases to be “released” at the show, I’m sure that there will be 1 surprise plastic model release, I’d love it to be a new 1/32 aircraft, 1/6 motorcycle or 1/12 scale car, but it’ll probably be a 1/48 aircraft (no, not a B-29:D) or 1/24 scale car.

I agree. Hoping for another J79 Toom but my wallet isn't. It would kick-start an expensive acquisition process of 1/48 Phantoms, Tomcats etc which I've so far managed to resist.

A pub-pulled pint of beer currently costs £5.80 but was only 36p back in 1979, when the (then) ultra de-luxe Tamiya 1/48 F-15A cost £7.99. So beerflation indicates a de-luxe kit should cost no more than £128.70. A £95 quality Tomcat or Toom is therefore well within the beerflation buffer.

Tony

7 hours ago, Smokeyforgothispassword said:

I disagree with the the idea that tamiya is going to do a surprise release, they are shifting away from that.  We have not seen a surprise release in quite some time of any type.  From what i can see Tamiya has discovered you tube and social media and as such are pre announcing their kits now.  I don't think we have seen a surprise release since prior to covid.  I am not expecting that is coming back as holding the releases for the hobby show does not generate as much publicity as one video from Andy on youtube.  

Here I was hoping for a large scale P-38. When they released the Mossi , I was sure a bomber version was coming, shows what I know. I did get one and it was a very nice build . I didn't think the price was all that bad , I got mine for a little less than $200. I believe like most that they're moving away for the large scale planes . Maybe the mossi WAS too much for the market

8 hours ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

Here I was hoping for a large scale P-38. When they released the Mossi , I was sure a bomber version was coming, shows what I know. I did get one and it was a very nice build . I didn't think the price was all that bad , I got mine for a little less than $200. I believe like most that they're moving away for the large scale planes . Maybe the mossi WAS too much for the market

Could have done a 2 stage merlin version as well if they so wished. A real shame to be honest.

Regards. Andy