Chengdu F-7NI Nigerian Air Force

dutik

On 9/6/2022 at 10:35 AM, dutik said:

Remaining question:

- What type of ejection seat? Martin Baker (Mk10) or a Chinese one? Still have to check references here.

The Namibian F-7's definitely have MB seats in them - not 100% sure about the Nigerian aircraft, but I think it's more likely than not.

Yefim Gordons book says that the export variants got the MB seat, so I am going with the MB Mk.10.

Another different detail: Only one gun, located starboard. That's the right side for our landlubbers :D

The port one was removed during the evolution of the J-7 in favour of 100 litres more fuel. This calls for a scratchbuild cover instead of the kits gun.

Well, the kits IP is not bad. Clear part with an acetate film for the back. And it looks like the real deal. Except for these large white knobs at the upper part, which are waaaay to small in the kit. I'll try to add larger ones onto my IP.

Not so nice: The "glass plate" of the HUD has an ejector mark right in the middle of the clear part. This needs to be replaced by clear foil, indeed.

Images of my progress tomorrow.

Regards

- dutik

First pics of glued styrene:

imgp573759f0x.jpg

imgp5738r7ero.jpg

Aftermarket parts from my stash:

imgp5739f3et3.jpg

Also placed today an order for more useful AM stuff:

Master pitot tube (Mig-21SM type) and weighted wheels (mid generation Mig-21) from Armory. That's it so far what is available for the Chengdus. Also a bucket load of paints. Not sure which are the right colours, so I ordered two different tones each of underside blue, sand, brown and green, as well as a bright green for the radome. We shall see which ones will fit best.

Regards

- dutik

imgp5743e6dg6.jpg

Improved the front gear bay. There are shallow pipes and other stuff (molding limitations). Simply added some wire on top of every line to achieve a more 3D look. Added a bit of aluminium paint and a wash. The front gear bay is really deep and has only a small opening, so this should be enough for a busy look.

Got more AM parts:

imgp57486vf6l.jpg

Proper resin wheels and a pitot tube. also a batch of Real color paints to choose from for the paintjob. Now I have a pure green (radome), Russian light blue, a brownish/beige sand color and a camouflage green. Still looking for a proper greenish dark brown. We shall see.

Regards

- dutik

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...