Border to do a Fw190 next...

NewtonK

1 hour ago, John Stambaugh said:

Well okay I will jump in here with an opinion. 

I believe that we would see a lot more aircraft dioramas if someone would produce 1/32 scale equipment such as fuel trucks, staff cars, kettenkrad, bomb trolleys, personnel etc. 

With so many 1/32 aircraft kits available I believe associated vehicles in like scale would be well received. 

I think there are some out there, but this is a good point. Im not sure the guys who regularly display 1/35th stuff would swap it all for 32nd stuff though. Im sure the guys who like 32nd aircraft (like me!) would be overjoyed. 

I already wrote it in the past but a dozen of vehicles in 1/32 would be sufficient to satisfy most people liking plane dioramas. This would be far easier than releasing fifty mainstream plane kits in 1/35... Moreover, the availability of plane ground crew in 1/35 is simply nil whereas I have probably more than 100 1/32 figures of pilots and ground crew. Look at the Willys jeep. It has been released in at least eighth model scales but not in 1/32! I'm still convinced a company will finally understand that. It is just a matter of time.

17 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

I already wrote it in the past but a dozen of vehicles in 1/32 would be sufficient to satisfy most people liking plane dioramas. This would be far easier than releasing fifty mainstream plane kits in 1/35... Moreover, the availability of plane ground crew in 1/35 is simply nil whereas I have probably more than 100 1/32 figures of pilots and ground crew. Look at the Willys jeep. It has been released in at least eighth model scales but not in 1/32! I'm still convinced a company will finally understand that. It is just a matter of time.

AEC Matador truck and refueler

Bedford QL Refueler

Austin K2Y Ambulance

Willys Jeep

Kettenkraftrad

GMC Deuce and a half

Opel Blitz truck and Fire Engine

Hucks Starter

Queen Mary Transporter

Class B Liberty Truck

5 hours ago, Archimedes said:

AEC Matador truck and refueler

Bedford QL Refueler

Austin K2Y Ambulance

Willys Jeep

Kettenkraftrad

GMC Deuce and a half

Opel Blitz truck and Fire Engine

Hucks Starter

Queen Mary Transporter

Class B Liberty Truck

Exactly! That is the idea. You can also add  two Toyota trucks like the Hasegawa 1/72 ones.

Steering away from the scale discussion, the real "issue" for me is that it is a "new" kit of an aircraft that has many kits already in various scales. How many Fw190 kits are there??

One can improve an existing kit with his skills, extra work, aftermarket etc. but there is a problem that some great subjects are not available at all. Once again, I fail to understand manufacturer's minds in revisiting existing subjects. They are the ones to pour lots of money in the business and they definitely know better but as a modeller I'd expect to see something really "new".

13 minutes ago, RicardoD said:

Steering away from the scale discussion, the real "issue" for me is that it is a "new" kit of an aircraft that has many kits already in various scales. How many Fw190 kits are there??

One can improve an existing kit with his skills, extra work, aftermarket etc. but there is a problem that some great subjects are not available at all. Once again, I fail to understand manufacturer's minds in revisiting existing subjects. They are the ones to pour lots of money in the business and they definitely know better but as a modeller I'd expect to see something really "new".

Simple! Because mainstream topics still sell even if other manufacturers already covered them. This is actually a difficult calculation from a business perspective: what is the most profitable? 10% of the global sales of large scale Fw-190 in a five years period or 100% of the sales of a large scale Blackburn Skua? Moreover, it will only be 100% if another manufacturer does not announce the same exotic release at the same time! Just think of the HKM Lancaster. What was the impact of the announced WnW kit on the profitability HKM had to do to cover the huge investment they made...? Add to that the fact large scale is only a niche market and you should get the picture. It is a pity for us as customers but this stays a business that must bring some money...

On 9/9/2022 at 7:27 AM, thierry laurent said:

Moreover, the availability of plane ground crew in 1/35 is simply nil whereas I have probably more than 100 1/32 figures of pilots

Sorry to rain on your parade, Thierry. To state the very obvious, some 1:1 ground-crew men were 5 feet 1-inches tall and others were 6-feet 7-inches tall. I've read that the average height during the 1940's was 5-feet 8-inches.

Now, we can all get into a HUGE conversation (ie: row) about whether using 1/35th figures and 1/32nd men in the same scenes will look weird, or not (it will, by-the-way). The funny thing is.... it will be a genuine reflection of real-life, but probably non-viable at the same time. Isn't life full of beautiful irony?

Chris.   

4 minutes ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

Sorry to rain on your parade, Thierry. To state the very obvious, some 1:1 ground-crew men were 5 feet 1-inches tall and others were 6-feet 7-inches tall. I've read that the average height during the 1940's was 5-feet 8-inches.

Now, we can all get into a HUGE conversation (ie: row) about whether using 1/35th figures and 1/32nd men in the same scenes will look weird, or not (it will, by-the-way). The funny thing is.... it will be a genuine reflection of real-life, but probably non-viable at the same time. Isn't life full of beautiful irony?

Chris.   

Actually all my 1/32 figures do not have the same height but they have correct air force uniforms and similar sizes for standard items in most cases. THIS is actually the important thing, not really the size as such. However, I'm also an 1/35 AFV modeller for many years and I can tell you cannot really mix 54mm Verlinden Vietnam figures with Bravo 6 50mm ones without having something that does not 'look' correct! Just as an example, there are not multiple sizes of Cola cans, M16 rifles, helmets or ammo pouches!

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

Simple! Because mainstream topics still sell even if other manufacturers already covered them. This is actually a difficult calculation from a business perspective: what is the most profitable? 10% of the global sales of large scale Fw-190 in a five years period or 100% of the sales of a large scale Blackburn Skua? Moreover, it will only be 100% if another manufacturer does not announce the same exotic release at the same time! Just think of the HKM Lancaster. What was the impact of the announced WnW kit on the profitability HKM had to do to cover the huge investment they made...? Add to that the fact large scale is only a niche market and you should get the picture. It is a pity for us as customers but this stays a business that must bring some money...

Yes, sure, thanks for the time to explain. This is the logic obviously and not hard to guess. What I meant when I fail to understand the manufacturer's mind is not about comparing a Fw190 to Blackburn Skua but to highly neglected and famous airplanes of the WW2 or the jet age, no need to recite them here for we all know what they are.

I truly wonder if a new Fw190 or an F-5A in 1/32 would sell better, that was my point and maybe I should have put it clearer.

On 9/8/2022 at 1:01 AM, quang said:

With models like THIS, one doesn’t care if it’s 1/32 or 1/35 :coolio:

Border%20Model%20BR-002%20German%20Subma

I really don't like those raised strips around the deck gun. There's no way that's correct. If this is just a 3-D illustration, no harm, but if it's a test shot (I really can't tell), that's just not going to fly, not for me.

8 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

I really don't like those raised strips around the deck gun. There's no way that's correct. If this is just a 3-D illustration, no harm, but if it's a test shot (I really can't tell), that's just not going to fly, not for me.

I admit I know nothing about u-boots, but I can tell an inspiring model/vignette when I see one. The same way that some people like poetry and others don’t. :)

36 minutes ago, RicardoD said:

Yes, sure, thanks for the time to explain. This is the logic obviously and not hard to guess. What I meant when I fail to understand the manufacturer's mind is not about comparing a Fw190 to Blackburn Skua but to highly neglected and famous airplanes of the WW2 or the jet age, no need to recite them here for we all know what they are.

I truly wonder if a new Fw190 or an F-5A in 1/32 would sell better, that was my point and maybe I should have put it clearer.

It is indeed very strange some topics such as the F-5A do not exist in LSP: well-known, long service, tons of schemes, used in different wars, not very large or complex, ...

3 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

ust as an example, there are not multiple sizes of Cola cans, M16 rifles, helmets or ammo pouches!

Very easily fixed, Thierry. You just use the size of accessories that suits the greatest numbers of your figures. A Coke-can will look very different in tiny hands, compared to a "shaved-gorilla" with hands like bunches of bananas.

Thing is, I can well believe that mixing similar scales just doesn't look right, even though people come in all shapes and sizes in reality (just to state the very obvious!).

Probably best we leave this part of the thread there. 

Cheers. 

Chris.