Hawker Hunter, Royal Rhodesian Air Force

Rockie Yarwood

Hi folks, I'll be entering this group build the Revell Hunter FGA 9 that I intend to finish in RRAF markings circa 1964. The kit has been sitting on my shelf of doom for twenty years. It is borderline as far as the 25% completion rule, but Kev has graciously given me the green light. Drop tanks, intake and rear fuselage are glued. I have made a start on the cockpit sidewalls and tub, and started to scratch up an ejection seat.

Revell Hunter-1

Revell Hunter

Now to figure out where I have stashed the rest of my references :)  

More to come soon, hopefully...

Thanks for the interest, guys. Not much to report yet, except that I have given all of the parts a bath after their ~20 year hiatus. Oh, and in case there is anyone out there as dumb as me, if you are going to shelve a project for that length of time - don't leave the parts taped together. :doh: It took hours to remove the residue...

Cheers,  Rockie

11 hours ago, Rockie Yarwood said:

Thanks for the interest, guys. Not much to report yet, except that I have given all of the parts a bath after their ~20 year hiatus. Oh, and in case there is anyone out there as dumb as me, if you are going to shelve a project for that length of time - don't leave the parts taped together. :doh: It took hours to remove the residue...

Cheers,  Rockie

oooh, been there done that lol some consolation if you include that time for tape goo removal alone you are now easily under the 25% done point ;-)

Edited by themongoose

• 1 month later...

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out Rockie. I built the same one a few years back and its sitting and looking a little dusty on the shelf. If my memory serves me I printed my own decals, and you need a lot of lead weight to keep it from tail sitting. Kit goes together lovely though. I also tried modifying the fuel tank into the recce camera tank which you can find in some of the online pics. 

11 hours ago, Rhodie78 said:

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out Rockie. I built the same one a few years back and its sitting and looking a little dusty on the shelf. If my memory serves me I printed my own decals, and you need a lot of lead weight to keep it from tail sitting. Kit goes together lovely though. I also tried modifying the fuel tank into the recce camera tank which you can find in some of the online pics. 

Welcome aboard! :hi:

Regards

- dutik

Thanks for welcome guys! Been a long time watcher, finally got round to posting. My wife surprised me with the Roden Cessna O-2 in Rhodesian colors so I might need to drag it out and give it a while for this group build. I have also built a Zimbabwean AF Mig21 which is hiding in a cupboard somewhere. Random question on pictures - do they have to be on a web link to post? Didn't have much luck uploaded from my phone.

On 9/4/2022 at 2:34 PM, Rockie Yarwood said:

Hi folks, I'll be entering this group build the Revell Hunter FGA 9 that I intend to finish in RRAF markings circa 1964. The kit has been sitting on my shelf of doom for twenty years. It is borderline as far as the 25% completion rule, but Kev has graciously given me the green light. Drop tanks, intake and rear fuselage are glued. I have made a start on the cockpit sidewalls and tub, and started to scratch up an ejection seat.

Revell Hunter-1

Revell Hunter

Now to figure out where I have stashed the rest of my references :)  

More to come soon, hopefully...

I also have the Pride of Eagles :) It can get crazy pricy on Amazon.

• 2 weeks later...