Fisher Cougar done.

ScottsGT

First build in the new home with a new build bench.  All was going smoothly until the end. The very old decals that came with the kit was a mixed bag of nuts.   All the yellow accent stripes just fell apart and using liquid decal film wouldn’t allow them to lay down since all the edges rolled up.  Tried several setting solutions and nothing worked so I settled for a generic set of insignia. 
I also had to replace the AIM-9’s with Eduard pieces since the originals were badly warped and no amount of hot water would straighten them out. 

8h1QRa.jpg

al4b5D.jpg

0MlD48.jpg

xWFPSj.jpg

On 9/3/2022 at 1:50 PM, boiss123 said:

Great model good finish! Question how do you keep your work bench so clean mine is a mess lol.

Denis

Sorry for the long wall of text, but I’m kind of proud of myself for the organizational system I have come up with for my bench. 

It’s hard. Real hard. When we moved I gave up my personal 16X24 workshop I didn’t have to share with anyone.  When I started packing up I realized what kind of an unnecessary slob I was and knew I had a chance at a fresh start.   
New place my building area is a small area about 9’ wide and 4’ to 5’ deep with the walk way to the back porch to my back while sitting at the bench.  Rest of the room is an “entertainment area” that has only been used once since we moved in. Wife wants to keep it that way for when the grands get older.  But it has two home theater recliners and a love seat with a 50” TV on the wall. 
Wife threatened to put up a big blinder screen when we have company if I let things get out of control like I did at the last home.  And honestly, I have a sickness that when I see a flat, empty horizontal surface I have an overwhelming desire to trash it.  I’m trying to overcome those urges.  
I took a year thinking of how I wanted my build area, gave it some real thought on my hobby habits (good and bad, focusing on how to prevent the bad) and realized on my last bench I had lots of ”dead area” to collect junk.  My actual “work space” was an area about 18” deep by maybe 2’ wide.  See those storage bins on the back of my bench?  Over half that stuff use to be scattered across my build table cluttering up everything.  All my supplies were just shoved around to make room.  Those simple $10 parts bins (4 of them) has done more to help me organize and speed up my build because I'm not getting frustrated digging around looking for my Tamiya putty or the twist drill and the bits for it.  The other half was piled into a drawer that I would dig through looking for whatever. 
Also, what you cannot see in these pics is sitting behind me in the “walkway” is a 24” wide Harbor Freight US General tool box. I built an 18” square by 24” tall “cube” with nail polish racks that holds all my paint collection. It spins on a lazy Susan bearing assembly.  Top 4 or 5 drawers are dedicated to my model I'm currently building. Each sprue can sit in drawers, decals in another, etc.  bottom drawers hold my bigger tools, clamps, Dremel tool, small heat gun, rulers, weathering chalks, etc… When I’m not at my bench, the tool box is simply rolled up to the bench to get it out of the walkway. 

My one biggest issue I still need to address is finding a smaller magnetic tool strip/bar.  My old one is just too big now.  But I use it to keep jewelers files, exacto knives, scribing tool, etc on.  I’m going to mount it on the side of the paint booth that is 3’ wide on the right side of the bench. 

And as soon as I’m done with a model, the plan is to clean up 100% before trashing the area again.  These pics were taken after the clean up. As far as my kit stash, those are all in moving boxes and stored in my climatized garage in lofts I made.  I have each box numbered and a set of notes with what is in each box. 

Edited by ScottsGT

Thanks for the kind words everyone.  Really means a lot to me. 

As far as the paint, I went all lacquers, MRP and Mr. Color.  About three coats of MRP’s clear gloss over the gloss sea blue.  After clear, sprayed on a layer of Mr. Color slow thinner to wet the paint and let it gloss out better with a slower dry 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...