Fantastic Aviation Podcast Site

Just stumbled upon Air Combat | 10 Percent True   It's a podcast with very impressive library of subjects.  The ones I've listened to all take very deep dives into their subjects.   

The one I'm currently listening to is focused on Wild Weasel tactics and operations during the Vietnam War.  It's got 5 F-105G pilots and EWO's on the show.   My god, these guys have some stories (and brass ones).    One pilot talked about the joys of landing at night, on a wet 9,000 ft runway with an asymmetric load of a 1,500 lb Standard ARM missile on one wing and an empty tank on the other.   Sounds bad, right?   He then mentions that in this configuration, approach speed was over 230 knots (the average landing speed of a 737 is around 135)!   Sounds bad, right?  He then mentions that the tires were rated for 220 knots and the drag chute for 200.   Just shaking my head....

Well worth checking out.   Also has me seriously thinking about taking a shot at the Trumpy F-105G.  

I laughed when I saw the show name. The “10% true” is a reference to the long gone “doofer” book that was in every USAF fighter squadron bar…lost to pressure from above  from wokeness and political correctness.

Stories about your squadron mates were recorded by hand in the book daily. Some of the funniest Shiite you could ever read. The 2 rules of engagement were callsigns only; and the tale had to be at least 10% true.

good stuff.

Pigfighter

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

14 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

I laughed when I saw the show name. The “10% true” is a reference to the long gone “doofer” book that was in every USAF fighter squadron bar…lost to pressure from above  from wokeness and political correctness.

Stories about your squadron mates were recorded by hand in the book daily. Some of the funniest Shiite you could ever read. The 2 rules of engagement were callsigns only; and the tale had to be at least 10% true.

good stuff.

Pigfighter

That’s a blast from the past!. We had this when stationed in Germany, we called it a Chunder book.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks a bunch for pointing this out.  I’ve become an avid listener.  Especially worthwhile are the interviews with Mike “Starbaby” Pietrucha, who’s a super-sharp ex-EWO (USAF Colonel ret), AND a guy I went to Jr High School with.

49 minutes ago, Alex said:

Thanks a bunch for pointing this out.  I’ve become an avid listener.  Especially worthwhile are the interviews with Mike “Starbaby” Pietrucha, who’s a super-sharp ex-EWO (USAF Colonel ret), AND a guy I went to Jr High School with.

Starbaby should have his own podcast.   The guy is a mix of comedian and ultra-nerd, subject matter expert.   Love listening to him.