London Visit - Suggestions / Tips Welcome

John1

5 hours ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

Unfortunately, Motorbooks closed several years ago. I don't know if they moved elsewhere, or simply closed for good.

Chris.  

Thanks for the info Chris, I wasn't aware of that as I've not ventured to "The Smoke" for a few years.  When I worked there it was within easy lunchtime walking distance of my office, so I probably spent more time and money there than I should have!  Very sad news.

10 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

There are currently ongoing transport strikes - rail/tube - so Google for dates before you arrive, and it's different strike dates for different companies.

It's actually quite nice walking around London, Borough Market is good for food, nice and relaxed.

So they have announced strikes well in advance?  How considerate.    Thanks for the tip on that one, I need to take that into account before finalizing my dates.   

1 hour ago, rigor said:

John stop at a shop the sells good German beer and send me some lol seriously have fun 

Lol, my last trip, pre-Covid was a week in Munich.   I’d kill for a nice cold Augusteiner and a currywurst. Ideally served by a beautiful fraulein, while looking out over the Alps.  

Edited by John1

If you want to visit a model shop, there's Hannant's just 5 minutes walk from the RAF Museum, and you can place an order through the website for picking up at Colindale with a 10% discount - give them about a week's notice.  Museum-wise, the DeHavilland Aircraft Heritage Centre/Mosquito Museum is a pilgrimage for fans of the Wooden Wonder and be able to see THE prototype and other DH aircraft.  It really is enthusiast-driven, and if you want to touch the cowlings of greatness, I doubt you will find anyone who shouts at you.  When I was there some fifteen years ago, I was almost peer-pressured to try the Sea Vixen cockpit on for size.  There is a bus service running that stops on the main road, so a short walk down a lane will take you there.  Or Uber/Taxi from the nearest station.  Check out Google maps for how to get there by public transport (it will take about an hour from St.Pancras).  HMS Belfast is also worth a visit, as is the Imperial War Museum at Duxford.  The station - Whittlesford Parkway - is a half-hour (1.7 mile) walk away.  One museum I've never been able to enjoy as much as I want due to lack of time is the Science Museum in South Kensington.  If you're into old cars and motorbikes, as well as Vickers aircraft, there is the Brooklands Museum in Weybridge - about an hour from London Waterloo Station and a walk.

The Science Museum is a must see. It covers everything from watches and clocks, to steam power, aircraft, automotive etc. It's a full day just seeing it all.  Well worth it. 

I think I've been there five times now and not sure if I've even seen all of it.  Its right around the corner from the Museum of natural history. 

I don't think I would want to live in London but I sure enjoy going there.  I don't know how many times I've been there but it's a lot, dozens of times over the last 30 years or so. 

ok something a bit different:

traditional English dining, exquisite old school interiors... reputedly London's oldest restaurant... Rules on Maiden Lane, Covent Garden (super central, a 2 minute walk from Charing Cross station).

for a 1/2 day trip for someone staying for a week or so in London I would always recommend one of two trips:

1 going down to Bath (stunning Georgian architecture, it's small and you can walk around the centre very easily) - train is 1.5-2 hrs from Paddington; you will come out in Bath, no need for taxi etc

2 trip to Cambridge - same amazing (and it really is amazing) university college architecture as Oxford, but it feels smaller and more intimate than Oxford; also you can go punting on the river Cam and see the famous 'Backs' - the lawns and rear of many of the colleges; train is 1.5hrs from a number of London termini.

or... you could come down to Frittenden in Kent and have a drink in my local - the Bell and Jorrrocks - complete with He111 prop blade on the wall! Train is 1 hr from Charing Cross, but you need a taxi the other end.

Beers would be on me.

There is Sissnghurst Castle and Bodiam Castle short drives away if you like that sort of thing - i used to play in Bodiam Castle as a little boy :)

PM me if you are interested.

Nick

I lucked out and was there for one of the ipms competitions in East London when i was there (precovid). Looks like many of them are cancelled if i read their site right. It does look like they are holding meetings tho. Maybe check out some of the club meetings while you’re there or meet up with some mates from here if the opportunity presents itself.

The Eagle Pub, Cambridge. I've never visited myself, but it's steeped in WW2 history. Visiting fighter-pilots of the era signed their names on the ceiling and - I believe - the pub has remained virtually unchanged over the decades. That has got to be worth seeing, if you make a trip to Cambridge during your vacation. 

I've just looked the pub up and it has a second claim to historic significance. In 1953, scientists Watson and Crick made it public here that they had broken the code of human DNA - there's a blue-plaque on the wall outside, recalling this event. 

Whatever you do, enjoy your time over here. 

Cheers, 

Chris. 

Edited by Confusionreigns178
Amending some information.

IWM Duxford is just a few miles south of Cambridge. The town itself has amazing architecture, it's the second oldest University in the UK founded in 1209 AD. The number of students and even professors that have passed through that place in the last 800 years is mind boggling. 

Thank you so much for all the helpful information guys.   Have a lot to ponder for sure.   One thing I think we'll do is take the Eurorail for a one-day whirlwind day trip to Paris.  I've been there a few times, it's more to instill some additional exposure to another country in my 10-year-old.    Anyone ever done something like this?   She's fixated on seeing the Eifel Tower, aside from that, I was thinking about a river cruise and just wandering a bit on foot.   You can only do so much in a few hours.   

Couple more ideas. The De H Museum is definitely worth a visit.

Also Sky Garden - great views over London. Some restaurants there - food is okay. The Shard is higher but we didn’t do that one.

If you like theatre, check out The Mouse Trap, a VERY long running play, then do dinner at The Ivy across the road. The Ivy was a go to for us with restaurants in Cambridge and Bath as well. The Eagle/The RAF pub is an experience - the signatures on the ceiling were put there by flame, but there are plenty of other signatures added to it since. Nearby is the Round Church, and up the road from there you can climb St Mary’s tower for a good view over Cambridge and the Colleges. If you spend a night in Cambridge I highly recommend attending Evensong at Kings College, even if you are not religious.

Bath is a great town to visit, with a fast train trip out. The Abbey, Roman Baths, Pulteney Bridge and weir, the Circus, Royal Crescent etc. A great pub experience in Bath is The Huntsman. Your daughter may like the Aqua Glass there.

There is a very good hop-on/hop-off bus around London (and Bath X2)

If you do Cambridge, worth taking a punt on the River Cam, lunch at The Anchor is good too. In London the Thameside Inn is near Borough Market and a nice spot for a drink or a meal next to the Thames. If you do Churchills War rooms (recommend that one) the Parks and Buckingham Palace are just across the road.

If you really want an experience, pop out to Biggin Hill and fly a Spitfire. THAT is … well, my command of the English language fails me. There is a very good restoration hangar there too. The De H Museum, RAF Museum London and Duxford also offer the opportunity to cockpit sit.

Could go on and on, just a few ideas. Enjoy!!

Edited by Pete Roberts