London Visit - Suggestions / Tips Welcome

John1

Planning a trip to London later in Sept.    Me, the Minister of Finance and my 10-year-old daughter.   Haven't been there in probably 15 years.    Tentatively staying at a hotel near Hyde Park.   Only thing that is definite is a day trip to Paris via the Euro-Rail.   I've hit the IWM and RAF Musuem multiple times in the past so I'll probably pass on those two.   Just looking for general suggests on getting around London, other day trips (already done Stonehenge) or just general suggestions on how to make the visit more interesting/fun/cost-effective.

TIA!

John

+1 for Belfast .......or if you can taxi / uber to Shenfield the De Havilland Museum (3 mosquitoes under one roof ) plus the museum was refurbed recently . Lot of Dh goodness, plus it's volunteer not institution run so they need your cash ....I went twice last year :ph34r:

Linky

Edited by Panzerwomble

40 minutes ago, Panzerwomble said:

+1 for Belfast .......or if you can taxi / uber to Shenfield the De Havilland Museum (3 mosquitoes under one roof ) plus the museum was refurbed recently . Lot of Dh goodness, plus it's volunteer not institution run so they need your cash ....I went twice last year :ph34r:

Linky

So Uber is present over there, that’s good to know.   What’s the expectation for tipping cab / Uber drivers?  In the city itself, would you recommend taxis or Uber?  I plan on using the Tube as much as possible but forsee having to use car transportation on occasion. 

If it's still there, Motor Books in St Martins Court (which runs between St Martins Lane and Charing Cross Road). Full of motor-related and other books, including aviation. For the book-lover that whole area is heaven.  While there, if you're a Le Carre fan, wander up to Cambridge Circus to see where he set "The Circus" of the Smiley books.  A trip on the London Eye is well worth the money.

57 minutes ago, John1 said:

So Uber is present over there, that’s good to know.   What’s the expectation for tipping cab / Uber drivers?  In the city itself, would you recommend taxis or Uber?  I plan on using the Tube as much as possible but forsee having to use car transportation on occasion. 

No idea  - I live in the country near Oxford & avoid London like the plague :clap2:esp now the idiots who run the city have extended their £12.50 car charging zone up to the M25 . The DH musuem is outside this zone 

Edited by Panzerwomble

HIGHLY recommend if you are planning on using the Tube to get yourself some Oyster cards - Tube passes basically that work on the busses and the tube, and the water taxi on the Thames... Beats carrying around those bloody tickets!  Oh, and download the Mapway apps for the London Underground.  The free app is terrific - you tell it where you are and where you want to go and it tells you what line to take, which Tube car to take and where to stand on the platforms.  VERY useful.  There are a LOT of apps, of course, look for the MAPWAY one. 

Also suggest a trip to Cambridge (about 45min by train).  The US Cemetery and museum there is worth the trip, plus Cambridge is cool with the Universities there.

Chris

That's a loaded question as it depends on what you are interested in seeing.

Tower of London

Westminster Abbey

The British Museum

Science Museum

The Natural History Museum (Darwin's home)

Churchill war rooms

HMS Belfast

Walk through St James Park, Green Park, Hyde etc

Bomber Command memorial (Green Park)

Kennsington  Palace

St. Paul's Cathedral

Piccadilly Circus

Hard Rock Cafe London

Walk the Mall and Whitehall

St Stephen's Tavern (across from Big Ben)

8 hours ago, John1 said:

You should really be ok just using public transport, as has been said, get oyster cards, available from Heathrow/Gatwick, regards Uber, you'll need PayPal, which will charge cost, but if you want to tip, that's at your discretion, and after you get out of the car, taxis can be expensive, don't tip more than one pound.

There are currently ongoing transport strikes - rail/tube - so Google for dates before you arrive, and it's different strike dates for different companies.

It's actually quite nice walking around London, Borough Market is good for food, nice and relaxed.