1/32 Short Stirling

tomprobert

• 4 weeks later...

Morning folks!

A little more progress on the Stirling - as it’s half term and I’ve some time away from school, I’ve got a bit more done to this beast. 

The interior areas that are visible have had some more details made and added and a squirt of paint applied.

Here’s the forward fuselage and cockpit area:

52689617647_f2216f4e40_b.jpg

52690136486_ea49598a2a_b.jpg

52690136396_abf51c571c_b.jpg

And the rear:

52690627403_f520a83fce_b.jpg

52690627573_39c2dda3bb_b.jpg

It goes without saying that there is a huge amount to be added to the cockpit, but this is easily accessible and will added just before the canopy goes on to avoid any damage from the filling/sanding/scribing that’s to come. 

I think I’m now ready to join the fuselage halves together which I hope I can get done before the classroom beckons again next week. 

All the best,

Tom

On 2/16/2023 at 5:38 AM, Cees Broere said:

That’s quite some progress, a splash of paint blends everything together nicely.

Thanks, Cees - paint also hides a multitude of sins!

22 hours ago, airscale said:

simply amazing - this is going to be a lengendary build Tom!

fabulous interior already - let me know if you need any airscale bobbins :)

Peter

Very kind, Peter - thank you. And rest assured I already have a large stash of your bezels and radios ready for when the cockpit needs finishing. They are so useful for projects such as this. 

Afternoon all,

I've really had the wind in my sails with the big Stirling this week - having a week off of work has meant some additional bench time and this build has motored along. 

With the interior painted, I could join the fuselage halves together - the fit was pretty good and the interior bracing and bulkheads I'd made meant everything aligned as it should. With the joints glued and set I removed the opening for the mid-upper turret, and used plastic card to blank off the kit wing-roots which are incorrectly positioned:

52692487214_187948d1c2_b.jpg

All the joints then got a coat of P38 car body filler, and were then sanded smooth. With this done, scribing could begin. I'm often asked about the tricks of scribing kits such as this, and the truth is it's very simple. Using plans as a guide and some dymo-tape, panel lines are instated with a Bare Metal Foil Co. scriber and then sanded smooth with some fine sand paper. This allows the curves of the fuselage to be done as well as the straight, flat panel joints. The whole fuselage on this only took an evening:

52698135424_8ec2daf69f_b.jpg

These pictures show the finished fuselage - although being white my handiwork with the scribing doesn't show up at all well. Note also I've now added the wing spars:

DSC_0265

DSC_0267

DSC_0270

DSC_0271

DSC_0274

So now it's time to start thinking about adding the wings - they will slide nicely over the spars which interlock with the interior structure I made previously:

DSC_0275

The wings are just resting in the following two shots and the correct dihedral not set, but it gives an idea about the overall shape:

DSC_0277

DSC_0279

As you can see, she's a big old brute. And once again, the wife isn't impressed  - but nothing new there...

52697360872_a72f35de76_b.jpg

The next task will be adding the wings and making the joints good - with the classroom beckoning again tomorrow things will slow a little again but I'll update this when there's some more progress to report. 

Cheers,

Tom

This is effin' cool!  I have not seen a large scale Sterling ever before.  And your matter-of-fact descriptions of your scratch building are inspiring.  Come on - there has to be some difficulty in this!  I'm heavily involved in a 1/18 Corsair and it's been, and continues to be, one challenge after another!  

25 minutes ago, JayW said:

This is effin' cool!  I have not seen a large scale Sterling ever before.  And your matter-of-fact descriptions of your scratch building are inspiring.  Come on - there has to be some difficulty in this!  I'm heavily involved in a 1/18 Corsair and it's been, and continues to be, one challenge after another!  

But Jay... you operate in a different league. I'm just cutting and sticking bits of plastic - you magicians who work with metal have a totally different skill-set and one I'm sure many aspire to... me included!