1/32 Short Stirling

tomprobert

On 9/20/2022 at 9:15 AM, tomprobert said:

I'm trying not to think about that or else this is likely to hit the shelf of doom!

Thanks, Rick - I've been following this project for a number of years and what they are doing is nothing short of exceptional.

A little progress over the last week - I've been having a play with the wings whilst I wait for some Evergreen strip to be delivered to rib the rear fuselage. I've sanded the wings to the correct depth and removed the bomb cells in the wings as I plan on having these open:

52369409781_eb57b550f5_b.jpg

The undercarriage bays will also be removed but I want to keep the structural integrity whilst I scribe the panel lines, etc. 

Uppers:

52369828515_c20548e25b_b.jpg

And both sets together:

52369828545_aab63bfa67_b.jpg

I see lots of scribing and making of wing spars in the my future!

Tom

I'd  imagine those wing are giving you Deja-Vú all over again after the Sunderland....

5 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Awesome work as always, Tom!

I'd like to hear more about this technique myself!

Kev

First - I have always been crap at soldering. So, I was looking at Mike's @sandbagger superb Mosca-Bystritsky build here and found he uses soldering paste.  When you see the neat results he is getting from the method I think you will agree it is the way to go.  I have soldered just a few pieces as experiments so far (I've not needed to solder anything new yet on my Tiger Moth G-AIVW build) but I will not look back. I have done test parts with both a torch and a soldering iron and even small photo-etch parts work well because so much less heat is needed to get soldering paste to flow. Practice makes perfect of course but it has taken away my fear of soldering. 

I use this soldering paste from Micro-Mark:

MicroMark Solder-It

I hope that is useful to all who are interested. @tomprobert I hope that it helps you with the undercarriage of the Stirling project in particular.

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by Archimedes
Typo

Thanks, @Archimedes 

I haven't thought too much about the landing gear yet to be honest - other than ensure the front and rear spars were positioned correctly to take the mounts for the gear. I've had success in the past in using scrap sprue from large kits (I've kept the spare frames from the HobbyBoss 1/32nd Liberator as these are very strong and of the right diameter), but it will depend on the overall weight. The other option I was considering was using a brass core inside an Evergreen tube - time will tell...

Tom

Fantastic and clean work Tom! (don't worry, I'll resist using the obvious aircraft name pun! :) ). I create wing torsion box spars for my larger models exactly as you do - if it works for full size aircraft, it will work for models. I also fear soldering, but see it as a necessary evil for some models, so I guess that I will have to bite the bullet and have a go one day!

Keep up the awesome work.

Derek

• 2 months later...

Afternoon all,

Work and life in general has conspired against me spending too much time at the bench of late, but I've been making some steady headway with the rear fuselage of the Stirling. With the rear entrance door open, I've created quite a bit more work for myself but with a model this large it's worth going the extra mile. I've spent about 5 sessions at the bench adding the ribs and stringers to the rear fuselage - the visible parts - and each had to be cut from Evergreen and added to the interior:

52582866087_00a12dcd6e_b.jpg

The port side needs a lot less as with the door being on the left, only the structure immediately around the door itself needed to be added:

52583769595_189939cf01_b.jpg

I now need to make the mass of other internal details such as ammo boxes and runs, the rear spar box for the stabilisers, the Elsan toilet, flooring and many other bits and bobs. Plenty to keep me busy over the Xmas holiday...

Regards to all, 

Tom

• tomprobert changed the title to 1/32 Short Stirling - Tigger vacform
  • 4 weeks later...