1/32 Short Stirling

tomprobert

On 8/29/2022 at 8:04 AM, tomprobert said:

The weird and wonderful world of vacforms provides some fantastic and unusual subjects. I imagine, however, that once I’ve beaten this into submission Tamiya will announce they are doing an injection kit :lol:

The engines are Bristol Hercules from the Revell 1/32 Beaufighter kit. A good starting point for sure. 

Tom

Tom you are a braver man than me.

8 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Have fun Tom.  How is Cees doing ? , hasn't been around for a while.

Cheers, Mike. Cees is very well but does a lot of work with real aeroplanes and is heavily involved with his local WWII museum just outside Amsterdam. The stuff he showed me when I was round his place was absolutely fantastic. He's also battling with the infamous Fonderie 1/48th Halifax so perhaps doesn't post as much as he did and will do so more with another of his 1/32 projects in the future. 

Tom

Morning chaps, still very much alive and kicking. I check LSP every day.

Very pleased that Tom will be working on the Stirling. He is the best modeller for the job.

Haven’t been active on LSP for a long time but that is due to the photobucket foul up. 
These days I only post pics on LSM. In the meantime I have finished The Fgr2 conversion

and working on a FG1 at the moment, the Manchester is also being worked on again.

And that FM Halifax, tjeesh:huh:

Tom, how about finishing the Stirling as BK716, I have been involved with that for a long time

and her story is very interesting.

Cheers

Cees

On 8/30/2022 at 1:38 PM, vvwse4 said:

A great project.

The wingleader issue is a must have for this one.

Rick.

Rick - thanks for sharing that. I ordered it last week and now have it in my possession. A wonderful pictorial resource for this project with lots of details I'd never seen before - a must for anyone building a Stirling!

I've not had the most amount of time for modelling over the last couple of weeks due to work commitments, but I've been tinkering with the fuselage.

I've added the fuselage windows and cut out the bomb bays and rear undercarriage bays:

Fuse 1

In a moment of madness I've also opened up the rear crew entry door and will add some detail in there:

Fuse 2

One of the most challenging part of building kits such as these is the joining of the fuselage halves - or any surface for that matter - as there are obviously no locating pins and the plastic is quite a bit thinner than normal injection-molded kits. A really simple solution is to add plastic card tabs on alternating sides as you go along the fuselage mating areas:

Fuse 3

...which means when it's time to mate the fuselage halves together, you get a nice area for glue ad you create a very strong join:

Fuse 4

And the underside:

Fuse 5

The next task will be to fashion some interior bulkheads to give the fuselage strength and keep everything nice and rigid. Stay tuned!

All the best,

Tom