1/32 Fleet Air Arm Sea Vampire F20

thierry laurent

5 minutes ago, Ali62 said:

Thank you for the pictures and update Thierry. I for the first time had a few hours to pull my kit out the box yesterday, after having it for the past 3 weeks or so.

I know and saw what you did to the gun troughs, but both you and Iain mentioned the nose profile, I am not sure that it is correct at all, I had a few sets of drawings out, some done by John Adams, the new 1/48 kit by Airfix and few other sources. All told I cannot really determine if it is not too bad or if it is quite off, but that maybe in two or three different planes? 
I am really glad you are doing the pioneering work it helps me get a better understanding of what to look out for, as I get time I will do further investigation.

Hi Ali,

There is definitely something wrong in the nose area but I'm still scratching my head to identify it. I think there are actually various small issues that are intertwined and that multiply their respective interactive impacts! Hopefully, the plastic is sufficiently thick to withstand major sanding. Very frankly, with all the issues to solve in the nose area (gun throughs location, cockpit seam, fitting of the front LG bay, ...), I'm not sure I will go further than sanding a little bit to improve the plan view and possibly move some panel lines!

I'm curious to know what will be the result of you assessment!

BR

Thierry

Thanks Thierry, I have my doubts if by using the Matchbox two seat venom will produce a T.11 Vampire, there are so many variations on the real aircraft. I have some Sea Venoms so will also look at this and comment, I am sure with your talent and perseverance though you may get a good representation of the T.11.

As I get some time I will see how I can assist you with ideas and drawings.

15 minutes ago, Ali62 said:

Thanks Thierry, I have my doubts if by using the Matchbox two seat venom will produce a T.11 Vampire, there are so many variations on the real aircraft. I have some Sea Venoms so will also look at this and comment, I am sure with your talent and perseverance though you may get a good representation of the T.11.

As I get some time I will see how I can assist you with ideas and drawings.

Hi again. Thanks for the idea!

Well it looks the cockpit area is very similar on both planes. However, obviously, a full new nose would be required to replace the Venom radar radome. So, the Sea Venom parts would be limited to the front fuselage area without the nose. Besides the nose, new tails should also be scratchbuilt.

Looking really nice! It's somewhat comforting to know that the intakes fit rather well, but I see there is more work involved to get the cockpit pieces to fit properly and look good. You've made it look too easy.

I now see what you mean about the nose gear bay / cockpit floor. I'll have to build a 'false' floor with mine using some plastic card.

I don't know how you can entertain building another one of these kits, I can't wait until my first experience with it is over!!

On 8/29/2022 at 8:08 PM, Alain Gadbois said:

That’s not the prototype. The prototype has the early square fins (with added bullets).

It’s a repainted Swiss Vampire with ejector seat if you look carefully. Wrong wing tips also.

Those tanks were only on the Swiss Vampires and Venoms.

You can see the standard emplacement of the lamps in the engine cowl drawing in the Vampire build thread. Never found out what the colors were supposed to be.

Alain

Proportions of the roundels are all messed up too!

20 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Hi Tim,

Do you mean the Brit ones?

Thierry

Yes, on the pic with the big drop tanks. A right mix, I can see the one on the boom has what looks like a yellow ring around it, but the white is too wide for a C1, closer to a D type. Looks like a C under the wing, but very odd, to my eyes!!  Oh excellent work getting the kit into shape, by the way! Bought one on Saturday, so watching with great interest....

Tim

Edited by wunwinglow
added comment

3 hours ago, wunwinglow said:

Yes, on the pic with the big drop tanks. A right mix, I can see the one on the boom has what looks like a yellow ring around it, but the white is too wide for a C1, closer to a D type. Looks like a C under the wing, but very odd, to my eyes!!  Oh excellent work getting the kit into shape, by the way! Bought one on Saturday, so watching with great interest....

Tim

Damn it! I hoped I could at least use the national markings!!! So, I'm crossing my fingers regarding an Xtradecal release!

Not a lot of work on the kit tonight. If you want to add the instrument panel without problem, it is recommended to create a slot in the upper fuselage side (where you have a kind of reinforcement strip). if you do not do that, the IP will be pushed backwards whereas it is already located a little bit too far towards the rear of the plane. I guess this is probably because of the plastic thickness of the panel and fuselage sides.

eFIOl55.jpg

And if you have a look at that quite weird picture (the sunset light can sometimes give strange effects on pictures!), you will see what I meant regarding the location of the IP. Everything is dry-fitted but you should get the idea.

LirG8Tz.jpg

There should be a de-icing tube around the cockpit edge and this is going right close to the windshield internal side. However, besides that, I'm wondering what is actually visible. Was the rear of the panel (and its bezels) partly visible or not? This is quite difficult to estimate when looking at pictures as there are many nasty light reflections preventing the correct identification of the components in that area.:BANGHEAD2:

In any case I will not leave that as such!

4 hours ago, r0t0rdr1ver said:

Looking really nice! It's somewhat comforting to know that the intakes fit rather well, but I see there is more work involved to get the cockpit pieces to fit properly and look good. You've made it look too easy.

I now see what you mean about the nose gear bay / cockpit floor. I'll have to build a 'false' floor with mine using some plastic card.

I don't know how you can entertain building another one of these kits, I can't wait until my first experience with it is over!!

Some close friends would say I'm a glutton for punishment! :coolio::piliot: