2023 LSP Group Build suggestions thread

BradG

3 hours ago, jenshb said:

The Nordic Connection - aircraft from the the Nordic countries; Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Iceland.  Could be expanded to include aircraft that were long-term based there, e.g. 57th FIS Eagles and Phantoms based at Keflavik, or German Bf109s at the Petsamo front or Fw190s based at Herdla. If one was extra generous, one could include RAF aircraft sent to Norway for winter exercises with the white wash camo...

Jens

Dont forget canada!

8 hours ago, Neo said:

Dont forget canada!

Although Canada has arcit regions, it's not really part of what is referred to as the Nordic countries.  Scandinavia is technically just Norway and Sweden (the Scandinavian peninsula), but Denmark (excluding Greeland)  is included because of a common history between the three countries.  Iceland and Finland are not counted among the Scandinavian countries, but part of the Nordic countries.

3 hours ago, jenshb said:

Although Canada has arcit regions, it's not really part of what is referred to as the Nordic countries.  Scandinavia is technically just Norway and Sweden (the Scandinavian peninsula), but Denmark (excluding Greeland)  is included because of a common history between the three countries.  Iceland and Finland are not counted among the Scandinavian countries, but part of the Nordic countries.

Haha sry meant it as a joke since we get solid cold winters here

Hmm...here's a thought. How about a "Skill Set" group build. Choose any subject you want, but in your build log you have to show , In Detail, how you achieved something. Like say, chipping, flawless seam fillng, crystal clear canopy, REALLY good panel lines or perfect riveting. Or an ultra smooth paint finish, or masking and painting markings. You get the idea. Only show in detail how you did one thing, otherwise the build logs would be 3 miles long and take forever. Regards, Pete in RI

1 hour ago, europapete said:

Hmm...here's a thought. How about a "Skill Set" group build. Choose any subject you want, but in your build log you have to show , In Detail, how you achieved something. Like say, chipping, flawless seam fillng, crystal clear canopy, REALLY good panel lines or perfect riveting. Or an ultra smooth paint finish, or masking and painting markings. You get the idea. Only show in detail how you did one thing, otherwise the build logs would be 3 miles long and take forever. Regards, Pete in RI

I really like that idea Pete. It is massively wide ranging and let’s us all experiment with a skill.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2022 at 11:22 AM, BiggTim said:

I'm not much for group builds, but I think it would be fun to have a monochrome build - all black and white schemes, as a few of our members have done beautifully here. Learning a new technique that most of us haven't tried might be interesting. The NMF idea might do this as well, providing it required the use of foil.

Tweek the requirements to shades of black and shades of white grey then I am on with a Luftwaffe night fighter.  So far o hate foil for NMF.  Maybe I could try again.  I remember that it was tedious; similar to rolling on rivets.  

On 9/21/2022 at 9:41 AM, europapete said:

I like this idea. Someone could show us soup to nuts, CAD to stencils methods how you make painting masks etc.

• LSP_K2 changed the title to 2023 LSP Group Build suggestions thread

Tag Team Build

Gazzas and I for example are fond of and are are building the Avro Anson vac kit.  This is a

slow process.  The kit is a beast.  We would build our two kits at the same time essentially trading sub-assemblies, accessories, drawings of parts such as the landing gear to build from.  For example I will bebuilding engine master parts and casting copies. I would cast parts from masters he would make. I bet our approaches to the build are different so that would make it interesting.  

This may not work for others at model building is usually a one brain hobby.  We will need to see if LSP mods will let us share post to the same thread.  Or figure out another way.

My Anson is not a contest build so parts and pieces built or designed by Gazzas  will only speed up the build. 

23 hours ago, europapete said:

YES! How to use a mask making machine! Thanks, Rick! 

I did some of that here (see page 9 of the thread): 

On my Mustang build.  But happy to dig in deeper once I get back to modeling and need to make masks for the next project...