2023 LSP Group Build suggestions thread

BradG

2 hours ago, BradG said:

I really like the Latin American idea, there's a huge scope for stuff especially as the US supplied aircraft post WW2 to many nations in South America. That's a good one. Asia is an option too inclusive of Japan.

We could also dedicate a Luftwaffe Group Build to Jerry.

Jerry’s Luftwaffe airfield protection FW-190d aircraft decals.  “Sell my clothes I am Going to Heaven”.  

Edited by Rick Griewski
Clarification

3 hours ago, BradG said:

I really like the Latin American idea, there's a huge scope for stuff especially as the US supplied aircraft post WW2 to many nations in South America. That's a good one. Asia is an option too inclusive of Japan.

If we’re going to do a continent based GB like Asia, let’s make it straight up continent based.  In other words, look up Asia on Wikipedia, and use that list of countries.  No including/excluding countries in or out of the geographic continental boundaries on the basis of politics.

I think one thing to consider for GB selection is the availability of markings.  There may be plenty of aircraft kits that fit a bill, but a limited selection of markings included with the kits, or aftermarket decals being hard to find or having a limited selection.

Love reading all of this, seriously.  

Personally, I have been working the last two summers (Northern hemisphere) on numerous commercial Boeing aircraft returning to service for a lovely company in Australia.   Enough said.

I think the shelf of Doom should be linked to the in progress work at all times.  I miss the group builds sometimes because I just simply don't look into the group builds that far.  Maybe high light it some way etc, to identify the difference?    just a suggestion.   cheers.   

Just a thought.   

Troy from lovely Spain!  

Differences

Group build:  folks build to a theme, agreed to in advance within specified time frame.  Starting the model from new or low %of assembly. 

Work in progress (WIP):  individual build by those folks that want to share progress.  Can be new build or previous start.  Nothing to do with groups of models or model builders.  Themes are some times part of the reason for the model builder’s interest but usually not really relevant.  “Failed” group build threads cam be moved to this WIP area. 

HTH

On 8/28/2022 at 5:09 AM, BradG said:

Recon is a good idea but how many kits are there in LSP's available?

Lots of fighters from WWII through cold war had recon versions.  Not sure how many conversion kits are out there - this might be a scratch-building heavy GB (but a great idea).

On 8/28/2022 at 5:02 AM, BradG said:

Helicopters - Done in 2016, might be ok for a repeat

Recon - Good idea although I'm not sure there are enough models to make it a viable option. Happy to be convinced otherwise

Japanese Airforce - done before but due for a repeat.

I like all three of those  - give me an excuse to build my first helicopter!

Another suggestion is the general SEA theater - aircraft used by any air arm in Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia/Thailand mid 60s - mid 70s.

Jerry Crandall tribute build.  

This I like.  There's a wide range of Eaglcals out there for just about all tastes but by and large, most of them are Luftwaffe subjects.  I'm also partial to the natural metal finish too.  Whatever you guys think is best....  Even though I like these, I never seem to get in often enough and when I do, I don't finish in time.

One suggestion from me; "Kits you built in your teens".  I am sure several of us built some large scale models back then - myself I built the Hasegawa F-16 FSD and modified it to represent an operational F-16A, I converted the Revell F-15B Dual Role Fighter to an F-15A, modified the Hasegawa F-18 to a later standard, but as prototype no 5, and then of course, the fabled and ridiculously expensive (at the time) Tamiya F-14A.  This would exlude some of the newer kits, but some of these kits still turn into decent models with a little work.

I am older than the kits you mentioned. I do not want to touch any of the kits I built when I was a teen anymore. If I get to build the modern kit version then I am on board. Revell Bf-109F or G or what ever it was now replaced by ZM or new Revell as an example. 

Just now, Hawkwrench said:

"That others may live!"

Any kind of rescue, CSAR, CG, Medevac (civy and military) aircraft.

Tim

It's a nice idea but in large scale, just not viable as a group build as there aren't enough kits around. 

The same for Recon really, just not enough kits available.

How about SEAD as a theme?  Any aircraft equipped to or engaged in attacks on enemy anti-air defenses.  You could do anything from a B-17 or P-47 attacking German AAA positions during Operation Market Garden to a modern EA-18G, with loads of possibilities in between.