2023 LSP Group Build suggestions thread

BradG

Yep it's about that time of year again. Give me some good suggestions for builds you'd like to participate in next year. I think the 4 will go ahead as usual, keep in mind when making a suggestion there needs to be adequate amount of subjects to build and kits in 1/35 or larger. 

There are 3 positions to be filled as I've made an executive decision to go with a Kev suggestion and have a 'Hasegawa Group Build'. 

A couple of suggestions from me include;

Aces High

In Enemy Hands

We have done them before, but not for around 10 years. Over to you guys.

The Other Guys - Aircraft from non-aligned (not NATO or WarPac) countries between 1949 (NATO formed) - 1991 (Dissolution of the Warsaw Pact)

Rising Sun - Japanese aircraft, any era.

Mediterranean Theater - Aircraft based in countries bordering, or in, the Mediterranean Sea during WW2

The Commonwealth - Aircraft from the Commonwealth of Nations

Gone, but not forgotten - Kits from companies now out of business, or have stopped making model kits.  KH, WNW, Matchbox, Monogram (as a separate company)

Old Timey Modelling - kits at least 30 years old.  Repops are OK.

Edited by Dave Williams

How about  USAFE? It covers a large timespan, paticularly if we start with occupation forces in 1945, and a large number of subjects. We could also include SAC and other Europe-based formations if people want that.

My two penneth...

1. Matchbox Kits (Low cost, high fun, skill builder of a group build - I totally recognise Dave Williams suggestion of kits more than 30 years old is in the same ballpark)

2. Civilian Aircraft (of any era or country; all eligible as long as they are in civilian markings: racers, converted warbirds, gliders, purpose-built civilian aircraft)

3. Nightfighters (of any era). This would give massive range to pick from.

4. Twins and Heavies (c'mon there are enough to choose from now): The Entire HK range, Tamiya Mosquito, Phantom, Tomcat, WNW Gothas, AEG, many Trumpeter offerings including the 262 and P-38, the Border Lanc', the HobbyBoss twins) and run it for an extended period given that these subjects tend to take longer to build). We could run it over let's say 3 lifetimes?;)

These are humbly submitted given my abject record of 0/1 finish in a group build!

Best regards,
Paul

Edited by Archimedes
typo

Good ideas, but for Matchbox as a stand-alone, are there enough kits to make it a worthwhile GB?  Trying to remember the 1/32 kits they made (some of which have been repoped by Revell) and can only think of 7 different kits.

Bf109E

Spitfire 22/24

Tiger Moth

SBD Dauntless

SA330 Puma

Lysander

Sea Venom

I agree to all of the above!

The only one I will add is;

HELICOPTERS & Autogyros - There´s many, many choppers out there now, enough for a GB!

I know there have been a Helo GB before, but that was before my time here, more then 10 years ago, perhaps?

Cheers!

Stefan :beer:

Edited by Phantom2

11 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Good ideas, but for Matchbox as a stand-alone, are there enough kits to make it a worthwhile GB?  Trying to remember the 1/32 kits they made (some of which have been repoped by Revell) and can only think of 7 different kits.

Bf109E

Spitfire 22/24

Tiger Moth

SBD Dauntless

SA330 Puma

Lysander

Sea Venom

Of which, I think, only the 109 (Hasegawa, Eduard et al), Tiger Moth (ICM) and SBD (Trumpeter)  have been done by any other manufacturer as a different kit, as opposed to reboxings of the Matchbox examples.

I'll try it again with:

• Eye in the Sky - all recon aircraft (not only photo recon, but maybe sth like FAC and anything with a recon pod?

Since I need to challenge myself to do my first natural metal finish:

• Shiny and chrome - all nmf aircraft and maybe to widen the scope: silver paint and aluminum dope is allowed as well

Just now, Fanes said:

Since I need to challenge myself to do my first natural metal finish:

• Shiny and chrome - all nmf aircraft and maybe to widen the scope: silver paint and aluminum dope is allowed as well

Brilliant idea Joachim, opens up so many possibilities from Hawker Furies to EE Lightnings and beyond, especially with your concession for silver paint etc. 

1 hour ago, Fanes said:

I'm a foil Junky.  I like this one.  Hasegawa, too.  Or Revell.

I could also go for a WWI group build as well.

G’Day all,

I have a few ideas that I thought I might Table,

“Nose Jobs” any aircraft with nose art this gives you scope from WW1 right through to aircraft deployed on current ops and everything in between. 

“A dash of colour” any aircraft outside their usual basic/tactical/camo schemes so this could cover anything from WW1 in the dazzle and stripe schemes, through WW2 with some of the colourful fighters or even formation birds through to modern CAG birds and commemorative or show/display aircraft.

“On the scoreboard” any combat aircraft with a tally painted on it, be it mission markings, bomb tally , aerial victory markings (inc Mig Killers from Korea/Vietnam/GW1 or even the Super Hornet in Syria) this will give you scope for a range of fighters and bombers particularly from WW2 up to current scheme.

”Jaws” anything sharkmouth…. Enough said

I do also like the “Eye in the sky” suggestion made earlier to encompass any recce/photo recon or observation platform 

Just a few thoughts looking forward to hopefully taking part in my first LSP GB this time around

cheers

Cairnsy

Ok, some good ones there; In reply to the suggestions;

Non aligned airforces of the cold war - not a bad idea

Meditarranean Theatre - Out of Africa is literally up next in a weeks time, so that covers a fair bit of the med if you wanted an Africa Corp 109 etc

The Commonwealth - good idea

Companies gone but not forgotten - not a bad idea, although I hope people will want to build their now hard to find models.

USAF - Did it in 2017, might be too soon for a repeat.

Matchbox kits - is there enough models around and enough options? Not sure

Civilian Aircraft - done in 2017, might be too soon for a repeat

Nightfighters - Nocturnal Activities is running right now until end of November.

Twin Engines - Done in 2019, too soon for repeat

Navy Aviation - Done last year, too soon for repeat

Helicopters - Done in 2016, might be ok for a repeat

Cold War - Done in 2020, too soon for repeat

Recon - Good idea although I'm not sure there are enough models to make it a viable option. Happy to be convinced otherwise

NMF - might not be for everyone

Japanese Airforce - done before but due for a repeat.