Trumpeter 1/32 F4F-4 Wildcat

STM

With the addition of the radio controllers, the right side of the cockpit is complete. I also opened up the access panel on the right side, I will scratch build the radio gear and avionics eventually. The styrene thickness of the fuselage is way out of scale for the edges of the opening so I thinned the area around the opening to near paper thin thickness.

Right%20Fuselage.jpg

Now it is on to the instrument panel and the cockpit will finally be done. I will probably do the radio gear next.

Because the left side of the cockpit will be visible from the access hatch, I decided to replicate the formers and stringers. The formers are constructed of 0.060" wide U-Channel and the stringers 0.010" x 0.040" strip. I used the rivet lines on the outside of the fuselage as a guide where to put the strips and U-Channel. Next will be to fabricate the radio and avionics boxes. I also put a solid bulkhead to have something that I could route all control cables, etc into. When I looked at the kit tailwheel, it looks very fragile to me. I may just scratch build another one out of soldered brass rod. I can then just mount it to the bulkhead.

L%20side%20cockpit%202.jpg

I had initially decided that I would use the kit piece and trace it onto 0.040" styrene sheet but thought, why not just use the kit piece and grind off all the detail, it should fi......... Oh wait, this is Trumpeter, NEVER assume something "will fit". And I was not disappointed. I do, however, think I know what happened here. When Stevens told Trumpeter to fix the profile gaffes or they would not distribute the kit in the US, Trumpeter, to their credit, did indeed go back to the drawing board and re-tool the fuselage. However they forgot to re-tool the firewall, resulting in big gaps on the top and side. Apparently they did not re-tool the instrument panel either. I built up the top with some strips of .030" x .040" styrene strip until I got it to fit snugly. Granted, the glare shield on the Wildcat is pretty deep and the gap would probably not even be visible, but I just cannot let stuff like this slide. The small notches at the bottom outside edges of the instrument panel are necessary to clear the 0.005 pieces of styrene I used to cover the recesses at the wing toots.

Inst%20Panel.jpg

Edited by STM

The instrument panel is finally completely. True to scale, the instrument openings on the main panel are beveled. The main instrument panel and side panels are held in place with some two sided tape to check fit and photography. Waldron instruments will be added after painting and assembly.

Finished%20Inst%20Panel.jpg

The avionics are complete, an entire day's work. Most of the boxes are constructed of 0.010" sheet styrene. I used a "Hold and Fold" to bend the sides and closed it up using a piece of 0.100x0.100 styrene strip. A couple of the smaller ones are cut from strip stock. They will be painted along with the interior of the fuselage and installed then. To give some idea of scale, the small, cube-shaped box all the way to the left is about 0.25" (6.35mm). Even in 1/32 scale, some things can still be very small. 

Avionics2.jpg

Edited by STM