HK Models 1/32 ???

Artful69

I've been told that a single, large new mould can easily cost $100,000 to produce. If a big subject in 1/32nd needs several such moulds to be created, you're talking selling in some very substantial numbers to make your money back.

Having said that, I read around 8 years ago that Trumpeter have sold more than 25,000 of their 1/32 A-10's - in that situation, the initial outlay doesn't seem so bad. Also, I understand that Trumpeter and Hobbyboss receive very substantial financial support from the Chinese government, as they share a parent-company.    

Cheers. 

Chris.  

On 8/31/2022 at 11:44 PM, Confusionreigns178 said:

I've been told that a single, large new mould can easily cost $100,000 to produce. If a big subject in 1/32nd needs several such moulds to be created, you're talking selling in some very substantial numbers to make your money back.

Having said that, I read around 8 years ago that Trumpeter have sold more than 25,000 of their 1/32 A-10's - in that situation, the initial outlay doesn't seem so bad. Also, I understand that Trumpeter and Hobbyboss receive very substantial financial support from the Chinese government, as they share a parent-company.    

Cheers. 

Chris.  

The quote from years back that I remember was that when it was announced about it's release the sales target was for 3000 units.

How times change!

On 8/26/2022 at 1:53 AM, npb748r said:

I just can't imagine how I would build and paint something that big but at least I could live in it once the wife kicks me out when she sees the size and cost of that monster !

I think if they made the front pressurized section of the B-29 they could release it with various nose art like they have done with the Lancaster nose section. I'd be in for at least three or 4 of them.

Edited by Maxim61

On 8/30/2022 at 5:45 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Ming Whm on Facebook has just announced that HK's next all-new kit will be a "1/48 B-25J (w/interior)". Neil did tell me that the next kit would be in 1/48, so this is not a surprise, but now I know what it is. The 1/32 kit (or kits) is not related to this announcement.

https://www.facebook.com/worldhobbyminiatures/posts/pfbid023dMSKWePj68HzJaSg5oDEfFSwERNCFCaokysdsETDo483nTWhex6UzTVpeSow1Ybl

Kev

My deluded eyes read B24j with interior and with massive excitement I clicked the link. Noooo! B25j !

Oh well back to the monogram I go…

On 9/1/2022 at 1:44 AM, Confusionreigns178 said:

Cheers. 

Chris.  

Finally... someone with accurate figures about the cost of tooling.

1 hour ago, Lee White said:

How are they aiming those bombs without a glass nose and bombsight?

Many of the B-25's in the pacific would skip bomb ships  from low level so no bomb sight required. They did have a gun sight on the instrument panel that they used for the .50 guns. Over land they mainly dropped from low lever with para-frags and again no need for a bomb sight. I sure many had their bomb sights removed  very early on in the war when they decided that low level was the best method.

On 9/9/2022 at 9:56 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

I've just split all the Meteor posts out of this thread and into their own separate thread:

Kev

Though I'm not a fan of the Meteor I think you are right on the money with releasing additional Meteor variants with very little outlay in tooling costs. Now if they wanted to look at producing the F-86/CAC Sabre they would be on a winner and they could throw in a decent Mig-15 as well.

Edited by Maxim61