Ultrasonic cleaners; what liquid to use?

LSP_K2

6 hours ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

Just don't. Ultrasonic cleaners are the death knell to moving parts. Years ago I was on a watch forum and someone put their Rolex Submariner in an ultrasonic cleaner thinking because it was waterproof it wouldn't harm it.... long story short, it did, big time. 

Back-flushing between colors and a complete breakdown and cleaning after long periods of non-use is safe and not that big of a deal. Airbrushes require maintenance, a fact that we all have to live with.

OMG! Even I’m not that stupid. I can only imagine the damage done on all the jewel to bearing surfaces. 

Thanks for all the input(s) guys. While I'm certainly not new at the airbrush cleaning game (been doing it for roughly 50 years), I was just seeking to find a more sure way of removing built up gunk, even though I clean all of my airbrushes manually, and on a fairly regular basis.

While at the NATS in Omaha I went to the Iwata airbrush class. One topic was cleaning. Ultrasonic cleaners were not discouraged. But that the positioning of the airbrush in the cleaners, whether it be a container of soap or an ultrasonic cleaner, was important. The instructor indicated that the AB should be vertical  in a nose-down position in the cleaner. The depth should not be deeper than the forward "wet" section of the AB. Another words,  the 'air' section should not be in the cleaner. I never understood why not submerse all the components, minus the air valve. This is the way I have done it for years with no adverse affects. He also said that the Iwata seals would not be damaged in cleaners like simple green. Bottom line just keep them clean after each use and ultrasonic clean them as needed.

P.S. (edit 8/24/22) The instructor did say avoid the use of cleaners with ammonia because it reacted with the chroming. Example given was the exposed brass in the paint cup. It is not detrimental, just cosmetic.

Jager

Edited by Jager
More Info

I have an ultrasonic cleaner, but never use it on the airbrush.  It is however very good for cleaning resin parts after sanding and removing the slurry that gets into all the nooks and crannies that the toothbrush won't get into.  I use plain tap water - occasionally with a drop of dishwashing detergent.

I have been using an ultrasonic on my airbrushes for years, these are Iwata HP-CH and Custom Micron. I only put the stripped down parts in the bath and never the body. I use water and a cleaning agent called Micro 90 from Cole Palmer and never have any issues. Interestingly I use this same stuff in my work for cleaning industrial inkjet nozzles with great results and these things cost 10k to replace so feel very comfortable using on my airbrushes.

Regards. Andy