RAF Cosford museum model room / Lancaster display

Phartycr0c

For anyone who may of seen or is aware of the Lancaster display in the model room at RAF Cosford

WYCB3498

Following a decision to replace the long standing model room with a "reflection room" (whatever that will be) the hunt was on to identify an alternative location for the display. Approaches were made to a large list of possible places including BBMF, East Kirby, Bomber Command Association, AVRO Heritage Centre, various squadron associations and mainly due to the size/ lack of interest, finding a new home was becoming difficult as time was becoming of the essence. 

As of yesterday, this was the sorrowful sight at Cosford after hosting a modelling room for over 50 or more years the models precious wartime artifacts and hand built cabinets are to be removed. 

IMG_1926[1]

An exhibit with 100% footfall, not only was it popular but it was inspirational Spencer pollard had some of his builds on display together with many large scale scratch built exhibits, the builders of which have sadly passed. 

I am however really pleased to say that through the Polish Heritage Flight at Duxford I was put in contact with Squadron Leader John Sharpe RAF retd at the Boscombe Down Aviation Collection who on hearing from the PHF and seeing my appeal tweet, made contact as Boscombe Down are currently building a Lancaster cockpit replica with which the display in Johns words "will be perfect".

Commence operation Lancaster Liberation and as a result the display now sits safely in the custody of the really enthusiastic workers and volunteers at Boscombe Down Aviation Heritage Museum.

IMG_1924[1]

IMG_1925[1]

So, the display, as intended, continues to provide an interest in a public setting, together with an educational and hopefully inspirational element. 

Many thanks to Derek Rusling at the Polish heritage flight together with John Sharpe of Boscombe Down Aviation Collection and especially Simon "Sully" Thomasson (Sullys scale models), who built the majority of the lovely vehicles on the display and Peter Maxwell who fashioned the figures that bring this display to life. 

I know I've rambled but to say I am pleased is an understatement! 

Edited by Phartycr0c

• LSP_K2 changed the title to RAF Cosford museum model room / Lancaster display
8 hours ago, mozart said:

I’m going to the model show at Boscombe Down today Dave, will keep an eye open for the display and take a few snaps!

Cant miss it its by the new Lancaster display! 

Maru, I'm not entirely sure. I spoke to Elvington about the Lancaster display but unfortunately they couldn't take it.  The other models have been claimed by their owners and i believe Spencer Pollard had a few there.  There were a large number of FAA aircraft there so Yeovilton may be interested? 

Yep, as you say Dave, right by the Lanc front end that is being finished off by BD volunteers, and receiving a lot of attention:

YgLA5U.jpg

hFa6ih.jpg

There wasn't much LSP/1/32 stuff that caught my attention, but these from Richard Clarke of Salisbury IPMS were outstanding:

bviACc.jpg

3pRz6o.jpg

aLeXyn.jpg

TnSu8S.jpg

Wonderful dioramas! 

3 hours ago, mozart said:

Yep, as you say Dave, right by the Lanc front end that is being finished off by BD volunteers, and receiving a lot of attention:

YgLA5U.jpg

hFa6ih.jpg

There wasn't much LSP/1/32 stuff that caught my attention, but these from Richard Clarke of Salisbury IPMS were outstanding:

bviACc.jpg

3pRz6o.jpg

aLeXyn.jpg

TnSu8S.jpg

Wonderful dioramas! 

WOW simply jaw dropping work. I love the wood effect on the Mosquito and the weathering on the typhoon beggars belief!