Yeovilton Sea Vampire

2 hours ago, Panzerwomble said:

TBH I was pretty underwhelmed by the museum this year .

Having been there 10 years ago, the excellent carrier experience being shut (25% of the museum) , the huge numbers of aircraft such as Sea Hawks , Phantoms etc that are owned but weren't on display , and the paltry Falklands display was just an embarrassment . Last war we actually won on our own , a 99% Navy victory ...and they produced little.

Even Humphry was in a different hall .:crying:

I suggest go look a the revamped Bovington to see how proper curators tell a story with the artifacts

I only had a small window of time and really wanted to have a look at that Corsair again, so some of the things you mention weren't such an issue for me.

I take your point about the carrier experience, but, as I understand it, they are bringing it up to be more representative of current extant aircraft - they haven't flown Phantoms for some decades after all, and the last time I went and it was operating, it was looking a bit tired.

It's the ages old conundrum for museums - how do they keep 'business as usual' as captivating as possible when they are modernising big chunks of their estate.

I'm hopefully going back in November - I'll report back then!