Hasegawa 1/32 Fw 190D-9 White 11, JG 51, Flensburg

duke_

On 9/25/2022 at 4:37 AM, Thunnus said:

Your Dora is coming along beautifully, Spyros!  These late war schemes are so interesting aren't they?  I'm very impressed with the 1ManArmy stencils, doubly-so since they are re-usable.  Just wished they included some more standard stencils like the prop data for the blades.

thank you John! 

yes, they are indeed so interesting ..you just  don't know which one to choose. I chose the one because of the bare metal panels and the high contrast camo combination on the wings, but yours too is one of my favourites..

i do also believe that 1ManArmy should contain a more extensive range of stencils to cover different manufacturers but also the types of fuels and of course the propeller stencils.. i hope he releases some more options in the future

by chance, do you know the type of fuel for each triangle? I have seen different combinations. MW50, 87 c3...?

S.

Edited by duke_

no much free time lately so

a little progress on the stencil painting, and bare metal panels.

.OKH80DR.jpg

e5lilpr.jpg

i am not sure if this is the right direction for the IV Gruppe symbol on the starboard side..  i've seen both versions , the one here and also mirrored (the upper semi circe left and the lower right)...

this one  is the Montex mask proposal for this aircraft and identical to the the Eagle editions decal sheet proposal so i followed their instructions

because they are experts on Doras ad far as I know…

now I have second thoughts if this is correct after a discussion with Thunnus since  he also noticed it and pointed it out to me .. 

kQt1pV3.jpg

any suggestion about fuel type on each triangle?

8AU2J6U.jpgfT05wqE.jpg

also started some weathering on the wing panels 

and some oil washing to alter the hue of each panel

that was done before painting the bare metal gun covers as a first stage of weathering, the actual weathering will follow after the application of all stencils and markings..

Y9Mo3RU.jpg Ndi2VUb.jpg

all white painted markings will receive a final white mist spray again in the end just to refresh them..

thanks!

Edited by duke_

• 3 months later...

What a great job!!! I have several positive riveting sets, but I haven't used them yet.

It is clear to me that I have to apply very thin layers of paint so as not to cover them, so my intention was to paint 90% of the layers, place the rivets, and then finish painting the base color.

Once the paint has been applied, have you sanded over the rivets?

On 1/26/2023 at 1:44 PM, Combi said:

What a great job!!! I have several positive riveting sets, but I haven't used them yet.

It is clear to me that I have to apply very thin layers of paint so as not to cover them, so my intention was to paint 90% of the layers, place the rivets, and then finish painting the base color.

Once the paint has been applied, have you sanded over the rivets?

On 1/26/2023 at 3:34 PM, chrish said:

Awesome work on this build!

thanks guys for your comments !

Combi,  yes i have sanded the rivets with micromesh 12000 or 8000 . .. i guess it depends of the the paint type you are using and how much you want them exposed..

On 9/26/2022 at 7:53 PM, duke_ said:

by chance, do you know the type of fuel for each triangle? I have seen different combinations. MW50, 87 c3...?

Sorry, Duke, I've read out this just now.

you're still searching for that info? 
in case I'll go back in the notes of my recent built Dora, by memory some manufactures used some fuel stencils, but there is a wide margin of interpretation about.

On 1/30/2023 at 11:01 AM, Borsos said:

Great progress all around and a careful eye for the detail! I am keen on seeing that one finished!

Andreas

10 hours ago, mc65 said:

58 minutes ago, Jaro said:

The color weathering is absolutely gorgeous :rolleyes:! Particularly on the upper wigs surfaces.

I've just save this thread on my disk to have some reference when doing mine 190 (or any other worn out maschine).

Andrea,, Jaro,

thank you for your kind comments! .

..trying to find some time between deadlines to continue this build... hope to get back soon!

mc65,

if you have the answer for this aircraft , yes ,that would be great!!

S.

here I am, i had to dig out in my notes, and found a page with the differencies in Dora's stencilling from each factory: Focke Wulf, WFG, Mimetall, Fieseler.

about the fuel stencils, I found three big "families" of white/yellow triangles:

-the classic "87" writing within the triangle, associated at the Mimetall production;

the "B4" one, associated at FW and Mimetall production;

and a two line one, "B4 and oct87", associated at WFG and Mimetall, with a note that reads that this peculiar one was seen on machines built at Langenhagen factory only.

I hope I wrote in an understandable way, and that I was helpful!

now all it takes to be as accurate as possible, is trace back to the factory that built your specimen, the Wr. n. 213097. I tried to do a quick search, but all i found, on the JaPo publishing site, is that: "Fragmentary information substantiates that some D-9s were produced in the high 2130xx numbers, but until now, the highest known Werknummer of the 213xxx production batch remains W.Nr. 213097. "

I think with a little more research (and luck) we might find the plant where this aircraft was assembled, and have a fairly accurate answer with respect to fuel stencils.

cheers, Paolo

well, further research, asking to a Dora addicted friend, have clarified that the fifth production batch (from Wr. n. 213081 to 213100) was made by Focke Wulf, more probably in the Cottbus plant, rather than in the Sorau one. also in the same book (JaPo) it can be read that 10.(13.)/JG51 had two separate white 11s, the first was damaged and later destroyed in late April 1945, while the second, the Wr. n. 213097 was delivered to the British in May 1945.

so, taking this info as valid, the stencil "B4" for the fuel appears to be the most likely.

probably.

:whistle:

cheers, Paolo

19 hours ago, mc65 said:

well, further research, asking to a Dora addicted friend, have clarified that the fifth production batch (from Wr. n. 213081 to 213100) was made by Focke Wulf, more probably in the Cottbus plant, rather than in the Sorau one. also in the same book (JaPo) it can be read that 10.(13.)/JG51 had two separate white 11s, the first was damaged and later destroyed in late April 1945, while the second, the Wr. n. 213097 was delivered to the British in May 1945.

so, taking this info as valid, the stencil "B4" for the fuel appears to be the most likely.

probably.

:whistle:

cheers, Paolo

Paolo , I really appreciate the time you took to research and send me this information!

thank you so much!

so B4 it is to fuel hatches 

cheers,

Spyros