Hasegawa 1/32 Fw 190D-9 White 11, JG 51, Flensburg

duke_

13 hours ago, Hoss FL said:

Wow!  Your preshading looks wonderful. I like that you’re applying the rivets on top of the preshading. Based on my experience, they should be more visible after painting is complete. Looking forward to more paint!  

thank you Jim! 

i don't know if it will make such a huge difference but i i wanted to try this option too..

will see how it turns out soon

S.

I love your painting at this stage, Spyros!  So fascinating to see the different pre-shade layers.  Mine is probably going to look like the inverse of your process. Is the gloss/flat difference the best way to impart an effect on the metal (as opposed to different colors)?

On 9/9/2022 at 9:22 AM, nmayhew said:

Spyros,

beautiful work so far!

it always puzzled my why no aftermarket company did a drop fit engine plug for this kit?

@Thunnus

Which Japo book is that please?

Thanks

Nick

Nick, the first three photos that I posted were from JaPo Fw190D Volume 1.  That last photo is from Crandall's book, same as what Hoss posted.

On 9/9/2022 at 3:34 AM, duke_ said:

i just want to ask what is the w1 w2 etc paint scheme for the undersides?

That's JaPo's system of categorizing the major types of underside wing painting.  W1 is an overall RLM76 Light Blue.  W2 is RLM76 on the leading edges and control surfaces and the rear half of wings left in natural metal.  W3 is similar to W2 but instead of RLM76, RLM75 or another darker color is used on the leading edge. W4 is similar to W1 but with a leading edge of RLM75.

• duke_ changed the title to Hasegawa 1/32 Fw 190D-9 White 11, JG 51, Flensburg
15 hours ago, Thunnus said:

I love your painting at this stage, Spyros!  So fascinating to see the different pre-shade layers.  Mine is probably going to look like the inverse of your process. Is the gloss/flat difference the best way to impart an effect on the metal (as opposed to different colors)?

Thanks John!

to answer your question , yes it is a way -not the only one or the best- but it works for me .

i thought that because alclad's finish is directly affected by the base coat properties. so if you spray a matt mottling effect on the gloss black that would affect the final finish. The result is immediate and gives a excellent basis for further processing 

of course it works only with high- shine shades, like airframe aluminium,  polished aluminium, chrome etc

the other shades are opaque that s why they don't need a gloss undercoat

S.

painting still in progress ..

rlm 76 is done for now

the RLM 81 will be the last thing i am gonna paint

lYsrW63.jpg mOJBldB.jpg

added some more rivets to the cowling before the final layer (yes,  i did forget them!

C5rO73g.jpgAGg3F0F.jpg 

ZjBzggO.jpg

tail and elevators  to check the 81 / 82 combination

all colors AK Real Colors and some gunze rlm 82 for highlighting (since this is much brighter that AK's)

8N6SyND.jpg

moving to the fuselage, measuring , drawing some guidelines with a very soft pencil and positioning the markings

i am using Montex and 1ManArmy masks

the reason i am doing this now, before the final camo,  is that, white is easier to build up on light background instead on green or brown, so it will require far more less paint (another reason is that  i simply i just can't wait..)

GLxaULz.jpg

MBSQonp.jpg

S8XSxbQ.jpg

hope having some more progress soon...

thanks!

Edited by duke_

Wow!  I really love the paint finish you have going.  I'm going to have to go back and reread your previous posts.  Hell...   the rivets...   I have to find how you did them...   They are obviously not just holes in the surface.

6 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Wow!  I really love the paint finish you have going.  I'm going to have to go back and reread your previous posts.  Hell...   the rivets...   I have to find how you did them...   They are obviously not just holes in the surface.

thank you Gazzas!

rivets are just wet transfers from Hgw..

59 minutes ago, duke_ said:

thank you Gazzas!

rivets are just wet transfers from Hgw..

Your excellent results have inspired me to buy a bunch of HGW rivets.  They don't have their 109G6 set.  So, I bought the later 109 set and a bunch of free lines...   as well as a 109E set.