Hasegawa 1/32 Fw 190D-9 White 11, JG 51, Flensburg

duke_

Hello guys,

now that two of the projects i am building are nearing completion,

i thought it's a good time to prepare for the next one, which will be, what else..

a Dora (or two..)

I intend one of them to be with open engine so i bought also the Aires D9 engine detail set...

(at least this is my intention and I hope to find the time and the motivation to be consistent 'till the finish line..)

time will tell..

so i ' ll start with the simplified version first 

YXeOKU9.jpg

For the D-9

I have collected the following aftermarket sets.

(I just mention them, it doesn't mean I will use them all..)

1 Eagle editions Dora series cockpit

2 Eagle editions D9 cowling

3 Eagle editions D9 tail wheel

4 Eagle editions D9 drop tank

5 MDC D9 cockpit

6 AIRES engine set

7 Quickboost gun cowling 3 piece

8 Quickboost gun cowling 5 piece

9 Quickboost air scoop

10 Quickboost radiator cowling

11 Quickboost gun Barells

12 Eduard fw 190 placards

13 Eduards fw 190 flaps

14HGW seatbelts

15HGW rivet set

16 HGW FW 190D-9 stencils

17 AIMS oleo markings

18 Eagle cal decals (various sets)

19 Montex Masks (various sets)

and many others like wheels , yahu instrument panel, airscale placards and instrument decals etc..

My favourite profiles at the moment are the following ..

PVi78wp.jpg

YyMFufe.jpg?1

3. Hans Dortenmann, I./JG 26, (of course!!)

JccCjmz.jpg

7RPmJym.png

4. White 3, W.Nr. 500572, flown by Oberleutnant Jan Heinrich Schild, 5./JG 26, Husum/Germany, 1 May 1945

mJAn1w2.jpg

Thank you!

Edited by duke_

Thank you all guys for your kind comments and your support on this build!

i am very excited about this because i really like Doras! i think someone had said that If the Focke-Wulf Fw 190 A was a bit of an ugly duckling, then the Fw 190D was more like a swan!  I totally agree with the last half of this sentence.. not so much with the first one.. 

I like all 190;s , and especially the way they stand with that angle on the landing gears.. they have - at least to my eyes -  that ''don't mess with me'' attitude..

so, enough said , lets start with cockpit first..

i am using the eagle editions version because i think is the most beautiful and detailed option available

i was lucky enough to buy two of them so many years ago when the were first released ,, i would buy more if they were still available

so here it is - at least the main components,

nothing to say or comment its just marvellous 

z4T69aJ.jpglytXyML.jpg    6DlEaFx.jpg

and now with some tamiya rlm 66 on top of Mrsurfacer 1500 black primer

kp1Q08X.jpgj09TWcM.jpg

i am starting with the instrument panel and decals from airscale , 

the only problem i had was that the small diameter dials didn't fit the eagle editions panel ( these with the red green indication) so i just put some white dots using the tip of a very sharp watercolour pencil

DHgGO1Y.jpgvTAAyoh.jpg

for the glass effect i used epoxy resin artificial water

Y0JzXKF.jpg

now moving to the rest of the cockpit,

i have drilled some holes to the panel behind the cockpit to replace the seatbelt holders . I will not use the photo-etched option provided as i think they are very fragile..

there are some imperfections on the resin part but i dont worry about because they won;t be visible behind the seat

8io5p88.jpg

ok, now i am pleased with the result and i think that ensures no further problems when the time comes for the seatbelts attachment and positioning

the painting and weathering is done with oils as usual with a mix of burnt umber + black for the dark areas, and a mix of titanium white, a bit of black and indigo , for the highlights

29fWqWk.jpg1HXigE1.jpg

soon the rest of the cockpit...

thank you!

forgot the seat which is also painted and weathered..

ZHNXXtx.jpg

Edited by duke_

Woohoo!  Another Dora build!  Really looking forward to seeing your work on these two kits, Spyros.  You and Hoss are such talented modelers and yet different so I'm eager to see these builds happen side by side!  I don't know if you saw the comment on Hoss' build about the seat back being made of dark steel and would not chip as a bright metallic.  Mr. Crandall (Rest in Peace) pointed that out to me on my D-13 build. He also pointed out that the Dora, for the most part, did not carry any data stencils on the landing gear legs.  The painting of the cockpit components is A-1, especially the weathering on the rear deck! You'll be sad when the cockpit gets boxed in later! :(

Hi, Sypros

As John mentioned, the seat back was actually made of armored steel plate so if the paint chipped it would show a dark gray instead of bright aluminum. This original seat is obviously completely rusted out and wouldn't look like this on an operational plane, but it illustrates well the armored seat back and aluminum seat pan. 

FYY2Zh9.jpg

7l92cp8.jpg

Looking forward to seeing this build come together, your paint skills are right up there with Thunnus and Hoss, keep those updates coming.

Cheers,

- Thomaz

Fantastic work, Spyros. Looks brilliant! A tip for the instrument dial lenses: get yourself some clear UV gel. The main benefits over epoxy products are that it's a single substance, and cures in 30 seconds with a UV penlight. It can also hold a shape for a little while, so you can create convex objects and cure them in place. The main downside is that it's relatively thick, and difficult to get to lay completely flat in small spaces.

Kev

3 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Woohoo!  Another Dora build!  Really looking forward to seeing your work on these two kits, Spyros.  You and Hoss are such talented modelers and yet different so I'm eager to see these builds happen side by side!  I don't know if you saw the comment on Hoss' build about the seat back being made of dark steel and would not chip as a bright metallic.  Mr. Crandall (Rest in Peace) pointed that out to me on my D-13 build. He also pointed out that the Dora, for the most part, did not carry any data stencils on the landing gear legs.  The painting of the cockpit components is A-1, especially the weathering on the rear deck! You'll be sad when the cockpit gets boxed in later! :(

hey John!!  yes another Dora, i couldn't resist watching your exceptional builds!!

thank you for your comments and for remind me this!

yes now i remember..i saw that on Hoss's build but i totally forgot it!! and i was just finished taking some pictures prior to seeing your comment...i will fix this tomorrow , its an easy task i think.. 

and yes  will be really sad when the cockpit gets boxed.. i always do!

hopefully i will have an open canopy ..

meanwhile i am sharing some pics with you guys with the ...wrong seat 

MWCapOi.jpg

w2HM1dB.jpgu7oUKKv.jpg

rQVDPg0.jpg.     lKwKvbp.jpg

5FnSaZR.jpg

jdkFD7n.jpg

USoMPJs.jpg

q1HPju1.jpg X8LAcP7.jpg

thank you!

tomorrow with corrected seat!! :)

Edited by duke_

2 hours ago, TAG said:

Hi, Sypros

As John mentioned, the seat back was actually made of armored steel plate so if the paint chipped it would show a dark gray instead of bright aluminum. This original seat is obviously completely rusted out and wouldn't look like this on an operational plane, but it illustrates well the armored seat back and aluminum seat pan. 

FYY2Zh9.jpg

7l92cp8.jpg

Looking forward to seeing this build come together, your paint skills are right up there with Thunnus and Hoss, keep those updates coming.

Cheers,

- Thomaz

Hi Thomas!

thank you so much for reminding me this , as i said to John tomorrow i will fix this!..

Cheers!

Spyros

18 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Fantastic work, Spyros. Looks brilliant! A tip for the instrument dial lenses: get yourself some clear UV gel. The main benefits over epoxy products are that it's a single substance, and cures in 30 seconds with a UV penlight. It can also hold a shape for a little while, so you can create convex objects and cure them in place. The main downside is that it's relatively thick, and difficult to get to lay completely flat in small spaces.

Kev

thank you for your comments Kev!

i had no idea about this product.. where can i found that? is this gel for nails?

18 minutes ago, duke_ said:

thank you for your comments Kev!

i had no idea about this product.. where can i found that? is this gel for nails?

No, not gel for nails. It's often sold as a UV-curing glue (so I guess it could be used for nails). I bought an expensive set from Gaia Notes a few years ago:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/gaianotes-m-04-uv-gel-clear--283483

But I believe Bondic makes a range of similar products, too.

Kev