ICM ‘The English Patient’ release - Tiger Moth+Stearman

Jan_G

9 hours ago, JimRice said:

Someone will need produce 1/32 Pratt & Whitney R-985 engine aftermarket to make it accurate to the movie.

7 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

That is the American engine used in the Kingfisher IIRC.  

7 hours ago, JimRice said:

With Kitty Hawk OOP that could be a really expensive conversion. 

I looked into doing just this not so long ago, and came to the conclusion that it was a far more complex job than it appears at first sight.  It's not just the engine, the whole nose section between the engine and the forward cabane struts is different.  No doubt feasible to do the conversion, but not one I'd choose to do from scratch.

But the plus side of this issue is if you just want a TM and Stearman to put other schemes on, the boxing is (in Hannants future releases) about £11 cheaper than buying the two kits individually if you pre-order it.  That does drop to less than £4 when it's released, but still better value.

Edited by MikeC

7 hours ago, MikeC said:

I looked into doing just this not so long ago, and came to the conclusion that it was a far more complex job than it appears at first sight.  It's not just the engine, the whole nose section between the engine and the forward cabane struts is different.  No doubt feasible to do the conversion, but not one I'd choose to do from scratch.

I that is very true. The simplest way is to simply cut the accessory cowling back, which is typically what owners did when they hung the R985, if they chose to use it at all. Most crop dusters chose to leave it open, but many kept and modified it to fit.  

I have plans for building my dad’s primary Stearman duster, which retained the Continental engine.  Following that, I plan to build a R-985 version…which will be a challenge.   That will be several months down the road, however.  I’m packing my shop up soon getting ready to move to a house we are building…with dedicated model room upstairs in addition to a large barn and shop out back!

3 hours ago, JimRice said:

That will be several months down the road, however.  I’m packing my shop up soon getting ready to move to a house we are building…with dedicated model room upstairs in addition to a large barn and shop out back!

Good luck with your move.

On 8/13/2022 at 7:50 AM, JimRice said:

Someone will need produce 1/32 Pratt & Whitney R-985 engine aftermarket to make it accurate to the movie.

I bought one of these Lukghraph Whirlwind J-5s as the closest match I could find when I coudn't wait any longer for the Armory one to do this exact same conversion.

On 8/13/2022 at 5:28 PM, MikeC said:

It's not just the engine, the whole nose section between the engine and the forward cabane struts is different.

Yeah, I was hoping this kit would include that variation. They've also left out the big red spinner and just painted the hub of the propeller red instead. Oh well. Will have to do it the old fashioned way.

Well, being long past any desire to have guns on all of my models, I for one am thrilled by this despite the engine modification requirement to the Stearman.  I wondered if someone would do an 'English Patient' diorama from two of the previous ICM boxings but never imagined ICM itself would do this as a double boxing. I am thrilled ICM came up with this combination and I will be buying it.  Though I do like WWI aircraft I am also a big fan of civil aviation and gliders in particular.  So, despite the fact that I still buy warbirds it is always refreshing to build something with colour that was designed purely for the joy of flying rather than belligerent purposes (e.g. the Revell gliders).  Bravo to ICM for this one!