Silver Wings Gauntlet II

mozart

So the sanding of the plasticard didn't really work very well, so I cut my losses and cut them off and opted for Plan B.....self-adhesive vinyl which is thicker than my usual masking stuff (thanks Quang!) :clap2:.  This photo also confirmed for me that the ribbing extends further forward on the fuselage than on the kit:

MQ43Nv.jpg

I wasn't too confident about the best way of achieving the ribbed effect but opted initially for a curved blade and scraping resin away, it seemed to work:

mRi7EP.jpg

SlHVB0.jpg

and a coat of primer afterwards showed it's OK (a small blemish only to be filled):

YS6XE4.jpg

7BJB9C.jpg

RtUtKh.jpg

Really enjoying this kit, such fun!! 

Edited by mozart

Mea culpa, I'm guilty.....yes I've succumbed to temptation as I inevitably knew that I would:

QtoGyB.jpg

I've put shiny panels on my Gauntlet!!  I know (in all probability) that 56 Squadron's Gauntlets had the anodized panels in the same way that I know (in all probability) that their Gauntlets didn't have the chequerboard design on the upper wing.....but mine will.....so there!! :P

KtcEpj.jpg

THw0wp.jpg

GbCeG1.jpg

It's also got some numbers on the wings:

jR2h0Q.jpg

....and it might have some chequers and roundels on the fuselage tomorrow, who knows? 

Edited by mozart

35 minutes ago, quang said:

I don’t know how anodized panels should look but on your model they look rather good in contrast with the silver doped canvas.:clap2:

Should be dull Quang, no shine…..but how boring for a Golden Era aeroplane and the last of the open cockpit fighters! 

10 minutes ago, jbrennan said:

Most amazing work Mozart.

May I ask how did you get the polished affect - I use Metalcote spray then polish it but still cannot get such a high polish effect such as that !?

Jon

Thank you Jon, it’s not paint at all but Bare Metal Foil, self-adhesive so “easy” to apply though of course there’s a (not very steep) learning curve to getting acceptable results. 

13 minutes ago, mozart said:

Should be dull Quang, no shine…..but how boring for a Golden Era aeroplane and the last of the open cockpit fighters! 

Thank you Jon, it’s not paint at all but Bare Metal Foil, self-adhesive so “easy” to apply though of course there’s a (not very steep) learning curve to getting acceptable results. 

14 minutes ago, mozart said:

Thank you Mozart.

You have put me on a learning curve hear in itself. Do you have to scribe around the area required once fitted or is it cut before adhesing etc ?

Thanks

jon

You can do either way Jon, but on this one I cut each panel slightly oversize, burnished it down with various cotton wool buds and once the panels lines were easy to see, ran a sharp scalpel along to take off the excess. The whole of the front took a couple of hours. 

3 minutes ago, jbrennan said:

Thank you greatley mozart.

One last question from the unitiated. Is it adhesive backed or do you need to add glue. Indeed what is the manufacturers name ?

Kindest regards

Jon

It’s actually called Bare Metal Foil! It’s adhesive backed so just peels off, but very very thin like gold leaf so can be fiddly! 
https://www.bare-metal.com

47 minutes ago, mozart said:

It’s actually called Bare Metal Foil! It’s adhesive backed so just peels off, but very very thin like gold leaf so can be fiddly! 

Thank you kindley Sir

Jon

Before moving on too much further forward I need to get to grips with the front starboard side of the fuselage (funny how virtually every drawing shows the port side only!)  This is the best photo that I can find of the contentious area, and I've enlarged it and tweaked it to death, but there appears to be five openings/caps/pipes of interest.  1 and 5 appear to be filler/inspection caps (radiator related?), 2 and 3 appear to be drain/vent pipes and 4 possibly an exhaust vent.  Any thoughts?

7Clxd6.jpg

Another better shot from a different angle:

I2K2H1.jpg

IGE3lM.jpg

Also it looks like a pipe running along the lower edge of the oil radiator which is different to the Gladiator where it runs along the top edge or is there another pipe at the top edge too? Rhetorical questions I’m sure. 

Edited by mozart