Silver Wings Gauntlet II

mozart

Too modern I think Joachim, I had looked at Peter’s stuff but he’s not yet doing the basic Sutton belts that I suspect were used, simple straightforward ones like were used in the Tiger Moth. I stand to be corrected but that’s the style I’m aiming for. 

Hi Max, nice start. I did the same as you and bought the AIMS Gladiator sets (including their Mercury engine) and also the One Man Army Gladiator stensils. The AIMS engine is much more detailed than the kit one, and fits inside the kit cowling perfectly. Regards, Pete in RI

12 minutes ago, europapete said:

Hi Max, nice start. I did the same as you and bought the AIMS Gladiator sets (including their Mercury engine) and also the One Man Army Gladiator stensils. The AIMS engine is much more detailed than the kit one, and fits inside the kit cowling perfectly. Regards, Pete in RI

Thanks Pete, didn't know about the AIMS engine, must have a look!  Have you made your Gauntlet yet, or started it?

Hmmm, impressive!  Illustrates perfectly the exhaust pipe/collector ring junctions.

nYpk1q.jpg

Edited by mozart

Mainly a day of gathering information today, three key points learned.  Firstly about the only (certainly flying) Gauntlet in the world in Finland, albeit not with the "proper" Mercury engine.  I watched 28 minutes of an in cockpit flying display of this aircraft, and right at the end as the pilot got out of the plane I managed to grab this screen-shot:

19Fsds.jpg

So much information in this picture, with the obvious caveat of course that this is a machine flying 80 years after the RAF ones, but the AIMS seat design is confirmed and that interesting apparently leather "handle?" on the port side of the seat.  Also the "handbrake" on the starboard side.  Other cockpit shots:

HenJbf.jpg

yPMMXv.jpg

Quite a bit of modern equipment in there, I need to sort out what is and what isn't!  Which leads on to the next point, a drawing from AP1487 which is the manual for the Gauntlet:

RoPxwE.jpg

Two factors interest me with this drawing: firstly the large "loopy" seat belt in the cockpit which goes back into the rear fuselage which suggests it's very much like those on the Gladiator....and why shouldn't it be.....and what I'm taking to be a trim wheel which oddly isn't numbered despite there being a leader line going to it.  This drawing was from "On Golden Wings" - I copied it, cleaned it up a bit and pasted it into "Pages" to optimise the size, but when I put the Silver Wings fuselage half on top of it:

Q5PYX4.jpg

Hats off to Silver Wings for accuracy, spot on!! :clap2::clap2:  A few fascinating finds to finish with:

6MR9hG.jpg

3ePvts.jpg

ydP7GP.jpg

V6hH7z.png

Edited by mozart

2 hours ago, mozart said:

19Fsds.jpg

So much information in this picture, with the obvious caveat of course that this is a machine flying 80 years after the RAF ones, but the AIMS seat design is confirmed and that interesting apparently leather "handle?" on the port side of the seat.  Also the "handbrake" on the starboard side. 

Very useful screenshot, Max!

The leather “handle” is in fact a patch designed to prevent chaffing from the parachute metalwork (short for more technical terms). You can also see it on many British planes of the period like the Gladiator and the Hurricane. The “handbrake” on the starboard side is a seat-adjusting lever.

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quang
Syntax

8 hours ago, quang said:

Very useful screenshot, Max!

The leather “handle” is in fact a patch designed to prevent chaffing from the parachute metalwork (short for more technical terms). You can also see it on many British planes of the period like the Gladiator and the Hurricane. The “handbrake” on the starboard side is a seat-adjusting lever.

Cheers,

Quang

Why didn’t I know that? :D:D:P:coolio:  It’s always good to learn something new, even for an old dog like me!