Meng 1:24 Fokker Dr.I

LSP_K2

While I won't actually begin this until September (sill plugging away on a 1:16 Panzer), I have at least decided this will be the next aircraft I build. It's been a while since I worked on any aircraft models. Probably not a lot of AM on this one, perhaps some Gaspatch Spandaus, but that's about it. A tentative scheme has been selected, but that may change, still not 100% sure yet.

eeWnrd.jpg

This is the tentative scheme that I've chosen for this effort. Assuming it's an accurate depiction, I will modify one thing; the fuselage band that has only one black stripe around the periphery, will not work for me, as things that are asymmetrical really bug me a lot. I really like the older style crosses too, so that was a driving factor in scheme selection as well.

Uh0Gvn.jpg

HD4CGn.jpg

3 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Looks great Kev! The 32nd kit is a real gem and the 24th kit I dont think suffers from the warped wings of the 32nd version?   Even so, that was no issue at all really. 

Looking forward to this one! 

Right. According to Ray Rimmel, this 1:24 kit is near perfect.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

OK, so I've been playing with this impressive kit for a while now (all three sets of wings are glued up, as is the short chord axle wing), and have noticed a couple of peculiarities in the instructions. The instructions call for the long chord axle wing to only to be used on the aircraft of Kempf (scheme D, Jasta Boelcke). This is not illustrated on the Kempf profile at all. Instructions also show a very specific additional stiffener/brace, which is again only applicable to the D scheme, but is once again, not shown in the profile illustrations.

The design of the top wing spar inspection window is also a bit strange to me, and may need to be reworked. I'm still debating if I want to alter that or not, but probably will.

14 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

OK, so I've been playing with this impressive kit for a while now (all three sets of wings are glued up, as is the short chord axle wing), and have noticed a couple of peculiarities in the instructions. The instructions call for the long chord axle wing to only to be used on the aircraft of Kempf (scheme D, Jasta Boelcke). This is not illustrated on the Kempf profile at all. Instructions also show a very specific additional stiffener/brace, which is again only applicable to the D scheme, but is once again, not shown in the profile illustrations.

The design of the top wing spar inspection window is also a bit strange to me, and may need to be reworked. I'm still debating if I want to alter that or not, but probably will.

I tend not to trust anything I see on a profile, apart from the the actual scheme itself. I have my doubts that the person creating the colour scheme is paying much attention to the small details of a particular airframe. 

2 hours ago, DonH said:

I tend not to trust anything I see on a profile, apart from the the actual scheme itself. I have my doubts that the person creating the colour scheme is paying much attention to the small details of a particular airframe. 

As coincidence would have it, I was browsing Dr.I images last night, and stumbled upon this photo of the Kempf machine, which clearly does show the additional bracing. Instructions are correct, illustration (profile) is wrong.

854ccr.jpg

The countdown has begun to clear my workspace (dining room table) for an upcoming birthday boy dinner, so I'm trying to get a bit of minor hobby stuff done before that happens. One area where I'd advise caution, is some of the engine parts cleanup. These tubes, every one of them, have considerable mold parting seams, which, in my opinion, are far better taken care of while the part is still firmly anchored to the tree. The same applies to the pushrod assemblies, but doubly so.

ZYk4ux.jpg

The issue (maybe) with the wing spar inspection area. I see what they've done here, there's a clear piece of plastic that has lips to fit into these recessed areas, with a smaller window that needs to be masked. My fear, perhaps unfounded, is that these clear lips will be visible through the window, which is entirely bogus. The recessed nature of the spar is correct though, as the real deal actually sets well below the fabric covering, so this is great. Also of note is the extraordinarily narrow rib tapes over the nails, which I'm not real sure is correct. Correcting this may be a genuine nightmare, though Aviattic makes P.E. rib tapes that may well fix this issue. I'll need to give that some thought, for sure. I may just go with it "as-is".

yvMpyU.jpg

the narrow strips with nails is what I believe WNW found was accurate? I think there was some argument about that on Facebook or somewhere. They are extremely hard to see on the real thing but there is a photo or two on the WNW website where I think I can make them out. Certainly I cannot see any evidence of wide tape.

Just my opinion but for my part I intend to leave as-is on the 1/24 and on my 1/32 build (which has the same detail) I just sanded them down quite a bit.

Edit - found a pic in my hoard of references - this is the late prototype I think (V5?) but it is the clearest I have found showing one of the ribs with the strip and fasteners

85LbYiM.jpg

Edited by petrov27
added pic

Ray Rimmel had posted a picture for me, basically trying to illustrate the same, but his photo wasn't nearly as clear as yours, so thanks a bunch for that. Looks like WNW got it right after all, not that I'm the least surprised. Cheers.