Infinity Models DH-100 Vampire F Mk3

Iain

Without casting any disrespect to fellow builders I would define these limited kits as being ideal for modellers rather than kit builders.

I know several keen kit builders who have no desire to 'model' something that requires a little extra work.

Therefore, when asked I always say to them 'this is not the kit for you' or 'yes I think this kit will be ideal for your interests'.

I would sooner do that than see them abandon their kits due to frustration.

Perhaps we should tailor reviews in future with that in mind.

Iain crafted his review perfectly in my opinion for this type of kit.

Great review.    

Reading Iain’s carefully chosen words in his otherwise fine review, I cannot help but think of this kit as an over-ambitious Special Hobby-type release. 

I can be wrong of course. :hmmm:

Mine arrived today and I'm a happy chappy as the kit has all it's parts :D

One thing I did notice, however, is that the parts aren't numbered on the sprues.  Mostly not a problem, but lots of annoying page flipping with some of the detail parts.

Other than that, this is a kit I've wanted for many years, so well done Infinity Models.  It's unlikely anyone else will do an LSP Vampire, so I hope this is well supported and encourages more "unusual" planes, such as a Macchi C202, C205 or even a C200.

:thumbsup:

Cheers,

Michael

57 minutes ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Other than that, this is a kit I've wanted for many years, so well done Infinity Models.  It's unlikely anyone else will do an LSP Vampire, so I hope this is well supported and encourages more "unusual" planes, such as a Macchi C202, C205 or even a C200.

For the Macchi, I’d rather wait for the upcoming Italeri’s C.202. ;)

On 8/10/2022 at 7:57 AM, Kagemusha said:

Due to poor sales of the Helldiver, they've cancelled the plastic Me 410, and the SM.79 will now be fibreglass/resin.

After the Hell Diver I was very concerned that the Me-410, starting out a resin would follow it badly.  The aircraft has a very complicated canopy and cockpit structure.  The resin kit is tricky in that area but a very nice kit.  

The SM.79 is a large model in 1/32!   I have a vac version. Fiberglass is the way to go IMHO.  

On 8/10/2022 at 1:46 PM, quang said:

Reading Iain’s carefully chosen words in his otherwise fine review, I cannot help but think of this kit as an over-ambitious Special Hobby-type release. 

I can be wrong of course. :hmmm:

I feel you are not right or wrong. Companies need to push on the business and tech envelope.  Each one has their reasons for how much they load into their rutsack (sp). 

8 minutes ago, Rick Griewski said:

I feel you are not right or wrong. Companies need to push on the business and tech envelope.  Each one has their reasons for how much they load into their rutsack (sp). 

Of course, Rick. What I meant is that more than often there’s a difference in what you’re expecting from an eagerly-anticipated kit and what you find in the box.

I watched Paul Flory’s review of the Vampire this morning and thought it had the hallmark of a Classic Airframe, latterly Special Hobby kit which I loved doing, but for sure it takes many people out of their comfort zone! That in itself is sometimes a good thing leading to the development of skills. 

12 minutes ago, mozart said:

I watched Paul Flory’s review of the Vampire this morning and thought it had the hallmark of a Classic Airframe, latterly Special Hobby kit which I loved doing, but for sure it takes many people out of their comfort zone! That in itself is sometimes a good thing leading to the development of skills. 

I found the wheel wells a bit clumsy. A few too many parts.  Buck the instructions and assemble the long, fore and aft first and then the end.  Else the kit has been much fun.  As you say CA and SH does come to mind. Build and tape together one or two steps ahead of the glue. 

I have 4x unfinished Special Hobby kits on the shelf of doom, another unfinished one I gave to an old school mate (beware of Greeks bearing gifts :lol:) and one more unopened in my stash. Every time I was attracted by the subject but after some weeks, I lost my mojo in desperation.

Guess I learned something because nowadays I just sit and watch people trying to build the damn things on internet forums. ;)

Some designs choices are weird. You can see the nice cockpit pedals but the rear of the IP has no detail. More annoying: the fuselage split and air intakes are visible in the cockpit! This will ask for a clever use of plasticard. Nonetheless the cockpit is very accurate. Just add some wires, an oxygen hose and small movable lamps and all the details will be there.

On 8/10/2022 at 4:57 AM, Kagemusha said:

Due to poor sales of the Helldiver, they've cancelled the plastic Me 410, and the SM.79 will now be fibreglass/resin.

Dang it. That was my hope for another Me-410, after I messed up the resin version.

Matt 

On 8/14/2022 at 6:41 AM, Dpgsbody55 said:

One thing I did notice, however, is that the parts aren't numbered on the sprues.  Mostly not a problem, but lots of annoying page flipping with some of the detail 

Just scan/photo copy the inside front page of the instruction booklet, there is an illustration of the sprues with corresponding parts numbers, saves all the faffing around - simples. :)

Edited by CharmyDown

5 hours ago, CharmyDown said:

Just scan/photo copy the inside front page of the instruction booklet, there is an illustration of the sprues with corresponding parts numbers, saves all the faffing around - simples. :)

That's my usual fix for this type of thing.  I usually do this too with the colour chart and sticky tape it to something vertical for quick reference.  But it's still a silly over sight.

I just hope that the after market will do some etch, 3d decals and exterior decals too.  I'm spending a fortune this year on all the new releases, so I suppose next year I'll be spending more on aftermarket. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Michael

9 hours ago, quang said:

I have 4x unfinished Special Hobby kits on the shelf of doom, another unfinished one I gave to an old school mate (beware of Greeks bearing gifts :lol:) and one more unopened in my stash

this is what makes this such a great hobby, I love SH kits, you have to work to make them achieve potential but for me that's the part of this hobby I love. Scratch building bits and problem solving make a kit good value for money for me, as long as the build process isn't long then I'm in my element. I have the feelings you have about SH kits with Tamiya or ZM kits - mojo sapping, fun draining and unbuildable for me !  Isn't it great that we are all different and therefore there's room for all manufacturers and kit types - as long as they are 1/32 obviously, anything else is just an eyesore !!!!!! :D