Infinity Models DH-100 Vampire F Mk3

Iain

• Iain changed the title to Infinity Models DH-100 Vampire F Mk3

Thanks Iain,

Very good initial review but only "recommended" as a final assessment...? I know this is very subjective but personally I have a better feeling. The cockpit is very well detailed and the LG wells are very nice. Finally, to me, there are few negative points. The choice of two decal schemes is quite limited. The rivets... Well this is a matter of taste and most modellers prefer having them. A good way to attenuate the visual effect is simple: do not put a wash in them as in the panel lines. The resin part also puzzled me but this is a moot point as it is not visible. Hopefully the Vampire could not have the Meteor air intakes! To me, this is the assembly that will give the final word as the Helldiver was not very good in that dimension. I do not know what other people are thinking but to me such planes always look better with a monochrome top! So I hope we will also get a Sea Vampire even if their naval service was less than stellar...

Perhaps I need to expand on the 'Recommended' in the review...

I was trying to tread carefully as I think the kit needs to be approached with the right mindset - and that links to your comments regarding assembly - the builder *will* have to treat this as a short-run kit: surfaces will need to be prepped before assembly to get the best fit, for example.

I've made a start and I've been using my extruded aluminium sanding bar to prepare all surfaces.

There are also some shape tweaks needed IMHO - and I'll come back to those after I've nailed everything down in my build thread.

Perhaps a 'Highly Recommended - with the caveat that it is a short-run injection moulded kit that will need more careful assembly than current mainstream kits'?

Iain

Believe me Thierry - I am drooling...  :)

Wonderful subject - well interpreted/realised IMHO.

I see a lot of general complaints out there regarding the fit and buildability of a lot of mainstream kits, so I think starting with the right expectation is healthy.

Treat it as a high-grade realisation of what could well have been a resin kit, rather than a short-run alternative to a mainstream kit by Tamigawa...

I really hope these kits sell very well for them, they deserve to - and that we'll see other interesting subjects as a result. I *really* want to see that Wyvern reach production!

Iain

4 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Thanks Iain,

Very good initial review but only "recommended" as a final assessment...? I know this is very subjective but personally I have a better feeling. The cockpit is very well detailed and the LG wells are very nice. Finally, to me, there are few negative points. The choice of two decal schemes is quite limited. The rivets... Well this is a matter of taste and most modellers prefer having them. A good way to attenuate the visual effect is simple: do not put a wash in them as in the panel lines. The resin part also puzzled me but this is a moot point as it is not visible. Hopefully the Vampire could not have the Meteor air intakes! To me, this is the assembly that will give the final word as the Helldiver was not very good in that dimension. I do not know what other people are thinking but to me such planes always look better with a monochrome top! So I hope we will also get a Sea Vampire even if their naval service was less than stellar...

Thierry - I've pondered on this - and I think you're right - I've altered the review to read: 'Highly recommended - subject to the caveat that some parts will need careful preparation and assembly, as is to be expected from a short-run kit.'

Iain

4 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Due to poor sales of the Helldiver, they've cancelled the plastic Me 410, and the SM.79 will now be fibreglass/resin.

Really?   I was so looking so. forward to the Me-410.  Really dissapointed on this announcement.  This would've been my first Infinity purchase,  I have zero interest in the DH-100 but love everyone else's enthusiasm on the subject.   To each his own.  The Helldiver I felt was a bit rushed and the canopy issue just turned the tide on a lot of future purchases.