Bf109 G-2 to an F-4 possible?

monthebiff

11 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Thank you for your comments everyone,  I'm no 109 expert at all but quite like the Revell G6 kit and have been thinking about this for a while.  

Regards. Andy 

Yeah me too - Hasegawa's F is hard to find and Trumpeter's is not a F at all - but a G-2... I like the Revell kit too, so perhaps one day when I clear all the other WIP's I'll go that way too

8 hours ago, Thomas Lund said:

Yeah me too - Hasegawa's F is hard to find and Trumpeter's is not a F at all - but a G-2... I like the Revell kit too, so perhaps one day when I clear all the other WIP's I'll go that way too

We can never have to many wips Thomas :rolleyes: So I've ordered a Revell G-2 and a Squadron E canopy and going to have a crack at this conversion!

Regards. Andy 

Edited by monthebiff

3 hours ago, monthebiff said:

We can never have to many wips Thomas :rolleyes: So I've ordered a Revell G-2 and a Squadron E canopy and going to have a crack at this conversion!

Regards. Andy 

In principle yes LOL, but I find if I have too many WIP's i get stressed and rush through builds to reduce the stress - and that's never good for quality...

1 hour ago, Thomas Lund said:

In principle yes LOL, but I find if I have too many WIP's i get stressed and rush through builds to reduce the stress - and that's never good for quality...

I absolutely get what you mean Thomas, I have several builds on the go and sometimes when I'm close  to completion on a buikd I annoyingly find myself wanting to cut corners! 

Regards. Andy 

Converting Revell G-2 to an F:

1. Remove cooling scoops on each side of forward fuselage.

2.The kit will require extensive modification to the kit canopy,  Dragons Bf 109 E-4 canopy will work in lieu of reworking the Revell item.

3. Scribe fuel filler below cockpit.

4. Remove kit's fuel filler on fuselage spine.

5. Reduce width and diameter of tail wheel.

6. Modify kit oil cooler to a more shallow configuration for F-2 and early F-4.  Size is OK for late F-4s and Trop machines, but shape is poor.

7. Remove access hatch on left fuselage immediately forward of tail assembly.

8. Remove MW filler point on right fuselage.

9. Remove primer filler point on fuselage.

10. Reduce width of prop blades, kit blade can suffice for F-4Z.

11. Add reinforcing plates at junction of fuselage and tail assembly. Check photos, these were present on most aircraft, even late delivery F-4 featured these.

12. F-2 and early F-4 supercharger intake needs to be modified to a thinner and slightly longer configuration. Kit intake is OK for late F-4.

13. Most F-4 had circular wheel wells, F-2 wells usually as on G series.

Edited by RBrown

You're welcome! People focus on the external differences but for whatever reason always forget the IP differences whereas one is quite visible for a simple reason: the REVI gunsight plug was located on the IP right side on the Friedrich. So the cable going out of the REVI was clearly visible, as well as its plug.