Infinity Models 1:32 de Havilland Vampire F Mk.3

Iain

Replacement copy of book has arrived - and I've picked up a second kit - the Mk 5 boxing.

Maxed out with things at the moment - and flying at the weekend - but may get some Vampire time next week as I've asked for a few days off from the 'day job'.

But I do have a plan...

Iain

On 8/29/2022 at 11:10 AM, Alain Gadbois said:

Looking forward to see your solution.

Hope this can help. Measured directly on the Vampire F3 in Ottawa. Could only access the underside to measure with a tape, directly along the curve of the fuselage.

The shapes seems to be extremely accurate.

rznsEYw.png

Note the thrust line angled downward and the relatively high position of the trailing edge of the wing.

eKnejfp.png

Alain

Hi Alain, I'm curious to know the source for these drawings? They look pretty good...

2 hours ago, SwissFighters said:

Hi Alain, I'm curious to know the source for these drawings? They look pretty good...

They are from the RCAF maintenance manuals kept in the Aviation Museum in Ottawa. The fuselage drawings are spot on compared to measurements I took on the Vampire they have there. The wing drawings were not so accurate. Possibly distortion during past copying. Also they were not created to be necessarily accurate, but go along with parts lists.

Alain

20 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

They are from the RCAF maintenance manuals kept in the Aviation Museum in Ottawa. The fuselage drawings are spot on compared to measurements I took on the Vampire they have there. The wing drawings were not so accurate. Possibly distortion during past copying. Also they were not created to be necessarily accurate, but go along with parts lists.

Alain

Thanks for that, the fuselage drawings certainly seem to capture the correct "look."

2 hours ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Love your Avatar!

my Bernese Mountain Dogs have similar Swiss ID emblems on their collars-

P

Hey Pete, pic taken from the tail of a Swiss F-5E, which I am in the process of building. Having returned to scale modelling at the beginning of Covid, I have collected a number of fighters all flown by the Swiss Air Force. It will take a while to build them, but the Vampire is a welcome addition. Heading off to CH in January and hope to tour a few museums!

• 3 weeks later...