Best F4-E Phantom? … advice?

Artful69

The RAAF once leased 25 F4-E Phantoms. I would like to build one in 1/32 (having enjoyed the RAAF F18A experience! :D )

I can see a 1/32 Academy F4-E for sale via an Aussie store … but some of the reviews I’ve seen are less than enticing … I have heard that the Tamiya F4-E is decent … but it’s now OOP :crying: 

… any thoughts?? Conversions for available Tamiya kits etc?? …

Rog :)

Try to find the Tamiya kit unless you want something that just looks like a F-4E. The Academy kit is just a re-release of the very questionable Revell kit with the unslatted wing sprue coming from the Recce versions.

Cutting Edge made a F-4E conversion for the Tamiya F-4C/D but it is OOP for ages. So it is without any doubt easier and cheaper to find a Tamiya E!

39 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Try to find the Tamiya kit unless you want something that just looks like a F-4E. The Academy kit is just a re-release of the very questionable Revell kit with the unslatted wing sprue coming from the Recce versions.

Cutting Edge made a F-4E conversion for the Tamiya F-4C/D but it is OOP for ages. So it is without any doubt easier and cheaper to find a Tamiya E!

Thierry …

What would be the difference between the C/D and the E kit … is it the wings (I can buy separate Tamiya Sprues off eBay for the E … or would it be easier to back date a J ??

Edited by Artful69

If you want to build an F-4E in 1/32, your best bet is to track down the Tamiya kit. As has previously been noted, the Revell/Academy kits have shape issues. The old 1970s-vintage Revell F-4E kit is best avoided, as is the out of production Cutting Edge conversion for the Tamiya F-4C/D. I once spent many hours trying to correct the shape of the Cutting Edge nose, but it just wasn't possible. There was way too much wrong with it. 

Ben

I also forgot one aspect: the slotted stabs: the C/D does not have them. So, from a the perspective of the main visible features, you do not only have to change the nose but also the stabs. Ben is right with regard to the CE resin nose. However, in spite of its deficiencies it was far better than the Revell horrific option!

15 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Thierry …

Have put a notice in the traders board for an E or an EJ …

THANKS for those sprues!! - are they the only ones needed / different from the C/D?!? …

Decals are readily available and so is a C/D :) … I will wait a few days and see what the ad brings!

thanks again - very much

Yes Roger. But the EJ edition comes with clear and grey plastic nose parts, the E with clear only. 

The EJ also has a more accurate rear seat IP, eminently suitable for a 1970-1973 Aussie hardwing E.

Tony

2 minutes ago, BloorwestSiR said:

Actually I'm pretty sure the Tamiya C/D and J kits have a longer fuselage section as well compared to the E kit. So you'd need that as well. 

You just need to saw it back by x mm. 

1 minute ago, Tony T said:

Yes Roger. But the EJ edition comes with clear and grey plastic nose parts, the E with clear only. 

The EJ also has a more accurate rear seat IP, eminently suitable for a 1970-1973 Aussie hardwing E.

Tony

Thanks buddy …

I have included that one in my ad … I THINK that there may be a couple online for sale also …

5 minutes ago, BloorwestSiR said:

Actually I'm pretty sure the Tamiya C/D and J kits have a longer fuselage section as well compared to the E kit. So you'd need that as well. 

Carl

TY Carl …

I’ll do a deeper dive this eve!!

As Tony wrote, cutting back the C/D fuselage part front is very easy. With regard to the instrument panels and exhausts, you will still have a problem as the E kit does not give you another cockpit and the later exhausts are underscaled! There's no easy or cheap way to model a large scale F-4E! The three sprues I linked give all the required parts that are accurate. For the rest, even with the F-4E kit, you will need aftermarket.