PR XI conversion kit for the Tamiya kit

Lancman

On 8/5/2022 at 6:20 PM, jbrennan said:

The answer to the new Spitfire hatch - Cost :mellow: !

The radio hatch merely needed indenting on the Airfix fuselage interior to facilitate tidy removal.

And on the subject of cost, I'll now reappraise converting a stashed 1/32 Revell IXc to FR.IXc, which will save me 75%.

Tony 

On 8/5/2022 at 12:21 PM, jbrennan said:

Please correct me if I,m wrong Tony but is it the 'Aims' conversion that has the F24 camera for the PR.IX. If so Lanceman be preppared to have a lot of other spare PR parts, as they do not sell the camera seperatly. 

Hello, I have a AIMS RAF camera set, item no. 32P025. I do believe that is also included in the full PR conversion. I’d really like one in 1/24, though!

23 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Actually cameras were only in the plane right before the take-off and right after the landing. Otherwise, they never stayed in the plane. So, they are not mandatory.

Hooray, someone else knows this.  :yahoo:  Not only that, but I'm not sure how many know you don't need to glaze the ventral camera ports if you don't want to.  They were covered by metal discs which were held in place by a spring-loaded catch.  The idea was to prevent mud, dirt, and any other debris getting onto the camera ports, and so ruining the photos and making the sortie worthless.  They were released after take-off by the pilot pulling a toggle in the cockpit.

I had a correspondence with the late lamented Edgar Brooks on the subject, but unfortunately he was unable to pin down the colour: red or black seemed most likely.

12 hours ago, MikeC said:

Hooray, someone else knows this.  :yahoo:  Not only that, but I'm not sure how many know you don't need to glaze the ventral camera ports if you don't want to.  They were covered by metal discs which were held in place by a spring-loaded catch.  The idea was to prevent mud, dirt, and any other debris getting onto the camera ports, and so ruining the photos and making the sortie worthless.  They were released after take-off by the pilot pulling a toggle in the cockpit.

I had a correspondence with the late lamented Edgar Brooks on the subject, but unfortunately he was unable to pin down the colour: red or black seemed most likely.

Hi,

I saw rare references to such discs and this makes sense from a practical perspective but I never found any visual evidence. It looks they are quite elusive to say the least.

Thierry

On 8/7/2022 at 9:24 AM, Tony T said:

The radio hatch merely needed indenting on the Airfix fuselage interior to facilitate tidy removal.

And on the subject of cost, I'll now reappraise converting a stashed 1/32 Revell IXc to FR.IXc, which will save me 75%.

Tony 

Well if thats the case surely it would be easy enough to remove oneself.

Jon

On 8/7/2022 at 9:02 PM, whitt_a said:

Hello, I have a AIMS RAF camera set, item no. 32P025. I do believe that is also included in the full PR conversion. I’d really like one in 1/24, though!

You could attempt to scratch build one Tony, wouldnt have thought it too difficult particularly as mentioned would be hard to see even if you have the hatch open etc.

Jon

11 hours ago, jbrennan said:

You could attempt to scratch build one Tony, wouldnt have thought it too difficult particularly as mentioned would be hard to see even if you have the hatch open etc.

Jon

Shhh! That’s exactly what I’m doing!

TW

On 8/10/2022 at 9:59 AM, jbrennan said:

Well if thats the case surely it would be easy enough to remove oneself.

Jon

No, it's not indented AFAIK, that's the point. So 1/24 concept suspended. 

Just bought the AIMS decal sheet 32D025 for the pink FR.IXc (the PR blue XI looks good too), and the AIMS 1/32 camera set. 

Will get a set of Aerocraft 7mm portholes and drill an appropriate hole in the Revell IXc left fuselage. Not faffing with the kit to show an open hatch. 

The remainder of the camera set will find its way into a blue Mossie PR.XVI

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
typo

6 hours ago, Tony T said:

Just bought the AIMS decal sheet 32D025 for the pink FR.IXc (the PR blue XI looks good too), and the AIMS 1/32 camera set. 

Will get a set of Aerocraft 7mm portholes and drill an appropriate hole in the Revell IXc left fuselage. Not faffing with the kit to show an open hatch. 

Tony 

6 hours ago, Tony T said:

Tony 

Where is your sense of of advensure ?! A 1/24 Spit with that scheme would be ammazing. Hannats are doing a decal scheme with a pink PR camo option !

Sod the cost go for !/24 :D yeaugh

12 hours ago, jbrennan said:

Where is your sense of of advensure ?! A 1/24 Spit with that scheme would be ammazing. Hannats are doing a decal scheme with a pink PR camo option !

Sod the cost go for !/24 :D yeaugh

I agree. I never bore of recce types. The Airfix 1/24 IXc is a goer (probably a Crimbo item) but I'm reluctant to corrupt an expensive kit in these austere times. Needs to be a conversion set, ideally in clear resin. Ditto a windshield for a blue XI. My sense of adventure stops abruptly with vacform canopy parts. 

And I've been hankering after a blue PR.XVI Mossie for a very long time. I'm guessing the HKM two stage Merlin kit will be the answer, once the piggybank feels fat again.

Tony 

Fair enough. Speaking of the HKM Mosquito I built one couple of years back converted to a PR34, I found it to be an easy pleasent build with no vices, my only concern was the wing diheadrel which is too steep and cannot be corrected without massive surgery. 

Thanks Jon