F-4 Landing Gear Question

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to wrap up the detailing on my F-4C landing gear.   I'm left with one question.   As seen in the picture below, there is a near-vertical rod in the foreground that goes through a hollowed-out linkage and the end of which appears just be sticking out, attached to nothing.   

e084.JPG

Is this really the case?  It doesn't seem like it would serve any purpose.  At first, I figured that it might have been simply disconnected on this old relic but I've seen a good number of other pictures showing the same thing.  Here's another picture of a much cleaner F-4.

0eb98131722b8b5b5495ebef297ed23c.jpg

Any idea if these pictures are representative of in-service F-4's?

I had wondered about that when doing my F-4E.  It looks like it could have a role in keeping the two parts of the gear leg radially aligned as the oleo extends and compresses.  But I’m just guessing.  I’m sure one of the F-4 experts here actually knows.

When weight comes off of the wheels, the oleo extends fully. As the gear retracts, that shrink link compresses the oleo so it will fit in the gear well. Most kit manufacturers omit this little detail and they also put the "spur" of the shrink link on the strut centerline. It should be slightly outboard. Here's the best video I could find. You can see the main gear oleos compressing as the gear retracts.

Ben

ktpcwKO.jpg

The Strut piece on the right shows the "link" as it appears when the gear is in the down position. The gear on the left shows the link in the retracted position, collapsing the gear to fit in the wheel well.

SPzsNzp.jpg

k6y3aiB.jpg

Barry

Edited by Barry
add pic